LS - 4th Gen (2007-2017) Discussion topics related to the current flagship models LS460, LS460L and LS600H

Mods: Why Do People Do It?

Search this Thread

Old 01-12-12, 02:16 PM
I8ABMR
Lexus Fanatic

Received 102 Likes on 67 Posts

I think my friend Jeff would disagree about wheels on his Aston Martin
Attached Thumbnails Mods: Why Do People Do It?-392843_274238139278274_100000762696587_711673_1781145472_n.jpg   Mods: Why Do People Do It?-392843_274238179278270_100000762696587_711674_1760602913_n.jpg   Mods: Why Do People Do It?-392843_274238202611601_100000762696587_711675_281724178_n.jpg  
Old 01-12-12, 05:52 PM
Lextrician
Lexus Test Driver

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

agreed its funny when they act that way but most dealerships sell wheels and mods so what is the difference???? oh I know they are not the once reaping the benefits from the sale. Its all good the forged wheels that come with the aston and other cars make great stocks for the off season and that's about it.
Old 01-15-12, 06:27 PM
2004TOYO
Pole Position

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by PhatDad
Why do we paint the walls in our brand new homes or opt for a certain color car??? Everyone has a preference and idea of what "they" think is nice. This forum just happens to have a lot of like minded guys and gals.

Like my son says, "go big or go home!"
^^^^^^^^^....what he said ^^^^^^^^^^
Old 03-10-12, 07:13 AM
Emackny
Racer

Received 16 Likes on 8 Posts

lol.. This thread is funny.. I guess he got the idea.

edit.. sorry to bump. Just noticed it was from a few mos. ago.

Last edited by Emackny; 03-10-12 at 07:17 AM.
Old 03-10-12, 07:15 AM
daryll40
Pole Position

Received 419 Likes on 286 Posts

He did! (I am he)
Old 03-10-12, 03:01 PM
Ice350
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by daryll40
I mean this question with a dose of honest respect. Why do so many of you posting here buy bigger wheels and "drop" the car and do other mods? I totally do not get it. Yeah, I understand putting a pinstripe or a front affinity plate (for places where there is no front license plate...such as decorative PITTSBURGH STEELERS plates for the front). But the wheels/tires thing, especially leaves me totally scratching my head.
After all the replies do you feel any differently about mods now?
Old 03-10-12, 03:58 PM
daryll40
Pole Position

Received 419 Likes on 286 Posts

Yes and no. I can see that some people like to customize their cars.and for you, enjoy! I still prefer the showroom new look.
Old 03-10-12, 06:01 PM
PRSUIT460
Racer

Received 13 Likes on 13 Posts

I don't understand 26's on an LS. IMO looks stupid.
Old 03-10-12, 06:07 PM
Ice350
Lexus Fanatic

Yes and no. I can see that some people like to customize their cars.and for you, enjoy! I still prefer the showroom new look.
SO you do understand that some of us like to personalize our car. Some of us want it to drive differently that stock. Mostly, some of us just like cars so much we enjoy the personal touch modding creates. I certainly never want to stop. I've done it since the 1970's, so it's part of me.
Old 03-10-12, 08:31 PM
Shibumi1
Lexus Champion

Received 86 Likes on 62 Posts

Originally Posted by Ice350
SO you do understand that some of us like to personalize our car. Some of us want it to drive differently that stock. Mostly, some of us just like cars so much we enjoy the personal touch modding creates. I certainly never want to stop. I've done it since the 1970's, so it's part of me.
i soooo agree.. its the best thing when someone calls to say they saw "my" car rolling somewhere. an they understand the changes i've made to set myself apart from the sea of factory equipped vehicles (which is fine if thats your thing) but my minds eye sees "my Ls" as just that (a part of me) an just as i'm different from u..so shall my cars.. no it has its own identity
Old 03-11-12, 05:04 AM
Enigma869
Driver

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I mean this question with a dose of honest respect. Why do so many of you posting here buy bigger wheels and "drop" the car and do other mods? I totally do not get it. Yeah, I understand putting a pinstripe or a front affinity plate (for places where there is no front license plate...such as decorative PITTSBURGH STEELERS plates for the front). But the wheels/tires thing, especially leaves me totally scratching my head.

I am soooooo with you here. I look through some of the pictures on this site (and others) and am left baffled why some people do what they do to their cars. I see some really nice vehicles that start to look like "clown cars". I often wonder if it might be an age thing (I'll be 42 in October). Maybe it's a young person's thing. I wonder if many 40 plus year olds are modifying their car to a large degree.

There have been VERY few times in my entire life where I have come across a vehicle that I thought "mods" had improved the factory look of. Jump on eBay sometime and just start browing vehicles. Some of them border on ridiculous looking. That said, everyone has their preference, and there are some who find "mods" the best thing on the planet while I feel like it ruins the look of most cars. I feel most are aiming for "unique", but often the result ends up closer to goofy! It's sort of like a teenager's fashion sense (including me, when I was a teenager). They are desperate to make a statement, so let the "mods" begin.

I guess due to my background in real estate, I look at things through that lens (i.e. your house should appeal to the most number of people, because someday, it is very likely that you are going to try to sell that house). At the end of the day, everyone has the right to do whatever they want to do to something they own. It is refreshing to see someone start a thread like this who is also baffled by "mods". I stay out of the mod threads, because my mother raised me to keep my mouth shut if I had nothing nice to say

John
Old 03-11-12, 05:25 AM
Enigma869
Driver

Originally Posted by GS3Tek
Like everyone said, it's all about customization-making it your own.

The aftermarket wheels that lexus also carries in the dealership aren't that great looking either (and overly overpriced), so this is why most go elsewhere.

And sizewise, regarding wheels, for the general consensus, as long as it's not 24"+, then it's fairly safe.

Everyone has their own taste.
No disrespect, but I never understand this fad (ok, it's for a different age group though)

WTF! WOW. I'm speechless.
Old 03-11-12, 03:19 PM
Ice350
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by Enigma869
I guess due to my background in real estate, I look at things through that lens (i.e. your house should appeal to the most number of people, because someday, it is very likely that you are going to try to sell that house). At the end of the day, everyone has the right to do whatever they want to do to something they own. It is refreshing to see someone start a thread like this who is also baffled by "mods". I stay out of the mod threads, because my mother raised me to keep my mouth shut if I had nothing nice to say

John
If you're into real estate, you should understand even more.
I don't know anyone who buys a house and leaves it just like they found it.
Buying curtains is a modification.
Adding trees or other horticulture is a mod.
Changing the carpet, awnings, etc....etc....etc.

Actually you took this opportunity to take a dig at modders but all you did way play yourself. I know for sure you're not stupid. People do what people do. No need to come on a forum of modders to say you don't like it and take a dig. If it bothers you that much, I don't even have to suggest what you should do.

But if you have even one mod on your home you're a hippocrite.

If my little rant causes this thread to be shut down, so be it. All that needs to be said has been. I hope I wasn't too strong though.
Old 03-11-12, 03:50 PM
Enigma869
Driver

Originally Posted by Ice350
If you're into real estate, you should understand even more.
I don't know anyone who buys a house and leaves it just like they found it.
Buying curtains is a modification.
Adding trees or other horticulture is a mod.
Changing the carpet, awnings, etc....etc....etc.

Actually you took this opportunity to take a dig at modders but all you did way play yourself. I know for sure you're not stupid. People do what people do. No need to come on a forum of modders to say you don't like it and take a dig. If it bothers you that much, I don't even have to suggest what you should do.

But if you have even one mod on your home you're a hippocrite.

If my little rant causes this thread to be shut down, so be it. All that needs to be said has been. I hope I wasn't too strong though.
Out of respect for the moderators on this forum, I'll refrain from telling you what I think about your response. My intent (in spite of your assertion) wasn't meant to take a "dig" at anyone. It's a public internet forum where people offer opinions, which is exactly what I did, and did it mostly with sarcasm, hence the smiley faces. If you don't like that opinion, I invite you not to read it next time!

John
Old 03-11-12, 04:02 PM
Ice350
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by Enigma869
Out of respect for the moderators on this forum, I'll refrain from telling you what I think about your response. My intent (in spite of your assertion) wasn't meant to take a "dig" at anyone. It's a public internet forum where people offer opinions, which is exactly what I did, and did it mostly with sarcasm, hence the smiley faces. If you don't like that opinion, I invite you not to read it next time!

John
I know you were being sarcastic and it did come off as disrespectful in my view. No biggie.

I am curious though, have you bought anything for your home that wasn't there when you bought it?

Quick Reply: Mods: Why Do People Do It?