LS - 4th Gen (2007-2017) Discussion topics related to the current flagship models LS460, LS460L and LS600H

Mods: Why Do People Do It?

Search this Thread

Old 03-11-12, 04:27 PM
Enigma869
Driver

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by Ice350
I know you were being sarcastic and it did come off as disrespectful in my view. No biggie.

I am curious though, have you bought anything for your home that wasn't there when you bought it?
Sorry dude. Not getting into a pissing contest with you. I run the New England region for a national real estate company so I know a thing or two about real estate. Cars and houses don't compare. The only example I used was trying to appeal to the most people where re-sale is concerned. That is the ONLY comparison between the two. Sure, people change their houses, but I'm here to tell you if they paint the walls pink with black polka dots, they're never re-selling it! The other important distinction (in my opinion) is that when someone re-models their house, it almost always adds value to their home (if done correctly and in line with what today's home buyers want in a house). Most of the time, re-modeling (i.e. "modding") a car, doesn't bring the same result, and only decreases the value to many buyers. That doesn't mean I'm suggesting people shouldn't modify their vehicles if that's what they want to do!

The comment I made about how ridiculous I find some "modded" cars to look really wasn't any different than many who chimed in on this thread about how lame, boring, or pathetic a stock LS looks. The difference is that I didn't take it personally. It's people who have an opinion. Again, it's a public website that is meant for opposing views. People really shouldn't take this stuff personally. At the end of the day, it's just a car!

John
Old 03-11-12, 07:49 PM
Lextrician
Lexus Test Driver

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

Originally Posted by Enigma869
Sorry dude. Not getting into a pissing contest with you. I run the New England region for a national real estate company so I know a thing or two about real estate. Cars and houses don't compare. The only example I used was trying to appeal to the most people where re-sale is concerned. That is the ONLY comparison between the two. Sure, people change their houses, but I'm here to tell you if they paint the walls pink with black polka dots, they're never re-selling it! The other important distinction (in my opinion) is that when someone re-models their house, it almost always adds value to their home (if done correctly and in line with what today's home buyers want in a house). Most of the time, re-modeling (i.e. "modding") a car, doesn't bring the same result, and only decreases the value to many buyers. That doesn't mean I'm suggesting people shouldn't modify their vehicles if that's what they want to do!

The comment I made about how ridiculous I find some "modded" cars to look really wasn't any different than many who chimed in on this thread about how lame, boring, or pathetic a stock LS looks. The difference is that I didn't take it personally. It's people who have an opinion. Again, it's a public website that is meant for opposing views. People really shouldn't take this stuff personally. At the end of the day, it's just a car!

John
i can see where you are coming from but not all mods decrease value, only if you are trading it in, if you are selling to someone then the mods are extra but are easily removable.