LS - 4th Gen (2007-2017) Discussion topics related to the current flagship models LS460, LS460L and LS600H

For the 1,000,000Th time... fog lights...

Search this Thread

Old 12-06-11, 10:22 PM
PhatDad
Driver

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default For the 1,000,000Th time... fog lights...

I know this question has been covered a ton, but I need a straight answer. I have the stock HID low beams and want to match the fogs. From the guys that have changed their lights out, what is the best route? I've read on here that 9006 Hoen Xenon are the best match. Silverstars are close but not perfect. So what is it and who has them? Any and all help would be great... these stock fog lights are straight fugly!!!!
Old 12-07-11, 12:37 AM
Mikey100
Lead Lap

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by PhatDad
I know this question has been covered a ton, but I need a straight answer. I have the stock HID low beams and want to match the fogs. From the guys that have changed their lights out, what is the best route? I've read on here that 9006 Hoen Xenon are the best match. Silverstars are close but not perfect. So what is it and who has them? Any and all help would be great.
If you use the "SEARCH" box above, and enter "LS460 Fog Light," you will receive a resulting 53 different THREADS (not just replies), all answering your question. These 53 threads then result in 1786 Replies, many/most of which go on in excruciating detail to answer your question. Because MUCH of the answer that applies to you is actually a personal choice. For example, lamp color choice. I sincerely hope this helps you make an informed decision and answers your question.

Mikey Lulejian
Lake Oconee, GA
Old 12-07-11, 07:58 AM
AUTO Design
Former Sponsor

Originally Posted by PhatDad
I know this question has been covered a ton, but I need a straight answer. I have the stock HID low beams and want to match the fogs. From the guys that have changed their lights out, what is the best route? I've read on here that 9006 Hoen Xenon are the best match. Silverstars are close but not perfect. So what is it and who has them? Any and all help would be great... these stock fog lights are straight fugly!!!!
You can get the HID kit or LEDs for your fog light
Old 12-07-11, 10:09 AM
CJITTY
Lead Lap

Received 150 Likes on 112 Posts

Lol..dang Mikey! I say 3000K HID fog light kit for bright yellow fogs! I love minez
Old 12-07-11, 10:29 AM
Tee

Received 67 Likes on 56 Posts

Originally Posted by CJITTY
Lol..dang Mikey! I say 3000K HID fog light kit for bright yellow fogs! I love minez
3000K FTW!
Old 12-07-11, 11:30 AM
philipjdm
Driver

i got 4,300k hid it matched my headlights well but the fogs seem a bit more white but looks close enough and same for the nike sign i got 4,300k or 5000k and all i can say is everything matches and looks awesome.
Old 12-07-11, 12:30 PM
eddie_k_
Rookie

Originally Posted by philipjdm
i got 4,300k hid it matched my headlights well but the fogs seem a bit more white but looks close enough and same for the nike sign i got 4,300k or 5000k and all i can say is everything matches and looks awesome.

+1

I went with 5000k and they match pretty well with my nike light
Old 12-07-11, 12:56 PM
GammaLex
Lexus Champion

Received 3 Likes on 1 Post

Since your car is white id go with 4300k since thats what your OEM lowbeams are. 5000k are a little more bluer white and will make your headlights look yellow. When I was rocking the murdered out look I wanted 3000k low beams to match my fogs but no luck finding D4S bulbs. Philips has a golden yellow but its D2S.
Old 12-07-11, 01:40 PM
CJITTY
Lead Lap

Originally Posted by GammaLex
Since your car is white id go with 4300k since thats what your OEM lowbeams are. 5000k are a little more bluer white and will make your headlights look yellow. When I was rocking the murdered out look I wanted 3000k low beams to match my fogs but no luck finding D4S bulbs. Philips has a golden yellow but its D2S.
Let me offer some experiences I have had with trying to match up HID bulbs. I have been messing with this stuff since 2005 or so and paid $200 for an HID kit and now they are $39 shipped on ebay..FTMFL

Back on topic. I find that having a 4300K bulb in the headlight and 4300K in the fog light never really matches up. The fog light optics seem to make the light appear more bluey/white than the headlight. Now, on a car with halogen based headlights and halogen based fog lights, the colors match up pretty good.

For the LS or other cars with HID based headlights and halogen based fogs, I recommend going with 5000K -6000K headlights and 4300K or lower fogs. Personally for me, I don't want bluer fogs than headlights. My current setup is 4300K headlights (OEM) and 3000K foglights (yellow). My black LS looks hella mean with that combo. Since my headlights were replaced under warrranty, I am going to let these burn out and then get 5000K Kaixen bulbs to go with my yellow fogs.

once you start getting close to 6000K, you really start losing "lumens" or in other words the amount of useable light starts to go down. Some people think 8000K is brighter..sure, it lights the reflective signs, but you might as well have park lights for seeing on the road ahead. On this car, the headlights are so advanced, I want to find that sweet mix of usable light and looks..5000K is pretty close to that in my opinion.

Just my

But when you get that perfect lighting combo to your liking..its on and poppin!

Old 12-07-11, 01:42 PM
Mikey100
Lead Lap

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by CJITTY
OK, CJ. Here's Reply # 1795 on this SAME subject. But ya know I agree with you !!! Totally. Use an H.I.D. Conversion kit and specify 3000K lamp/bulb color ! BUT ! ... since NOT all H.I.D. lamps produce the same color (not all 300K lamps put out the same color of golden yellow as others do) - So do NOT assume your "conversion kit supplier" will supply you with a lamp that puts out the INTENSITY of color you are desiring !

Thus, I agree with Tee and have purchased from DDMTuning. Why ?

1) They offer a LIFETIME WARRANTY of both Ballasts and the Lamp (ie, bulbs) ! Yes, LIFETIME !
2) They offer Telephone support. They don't communicate via email, or from some foreign country. Three locatons in the U.S.

And lastly .......... Tee's 3000K GOLDEN YELLOW H.I.D. lamps supplied in the RAPTOR kits are the BEST color overall. Make SURE you purchase the RAPTOR HID Kit !!!!! With the "old style" ballasts. This will yield you better performance and less/none problems with a Lexus ! And ONLY the 35W Version - Do NOT ORDER THE 55w (the w stands for watt).

If you are the anally retentive type, the older ballast style (what is supplied in the DDMTuning "RAPTOR" kit) actually cost more to make, and unlike the slim ballasts, they differ thusly: The"old" style (ie, THICKER) ballasts are Analog-to-Digital, whereas the style most everyone else wants to sell you today are the"slim" ballasts, which are Digital-to-Digital. Got it ? Ok, good !..... Now we can move on. LOL !

Here's the link to the RAPTOR H.I.D. kit (old style ballasts):
http://www.ddmtuning.com/Products/Ap...Raptor-HID-Kit

And Oh ! By the way, the RAPTOR kits, exclusive of shipping, only cost $30.00 !!!!!! And still have a complete Lifetime Warranty.

Best Wishes for a Merry Christmas, Mikey Lulejian

And NO ! I have no connection with DDMTuning whatsoever, and I am not being compensated for this informative Reply # 1794. LOL ! Me ? I Bass fish only.

Last edited by Mikey100; 12-07-11 at 03:28 PM.
Old 12-07-11, 01:48 PM
XenonDepot
Former Sponsor

Received 41 Likes on 35 Posts

Factory Xenon headlights will be 4100k-4300k. I would recommend getting a 4300k HID kit for the Fogs to match the low beams. You will not get a 100% exact match since the low beams use projectors whereas the fogs do not but it will be very close.

3000k is also a great candidate for Fog light HID's. The yellow does a great job at cutting through dense rain and fog. It looks great too

A few pics....

4300k Fogs -

3000k Fogs-

We have been a vendor on the forums since 2004. We also offer Club Lexus members a $25 discount on our HID kits - just enter coupon code "CL" upon checkout
Old 12-07-11, 02:23 PM
PhatDad
Driver

You guys rock!! Looks like I'm going with 4300k HID kit for the fogs. Sounds like that's the best match for what I'm looking for. I'm happy with the 4300k low beams already.
Old 12-07-11, 02:38 PM
CJITTY
Lead Lap

again, 4300K in fogs may NOT look like the 4300K in headlights..I know first hand.

Several reasons:

Lens optics - HID lenses project light differently than halogen lenses

Bulb focal point - depending on where the intensity of the light is in the housing, it can dramatically impact glare and how we see things in the color spectrum.

Different bulb manufacturers - chances are, your HID bulbs in your headlights and fogs will not be the same manufacturer

Bulb color shift - over the first 100 hours of use, bulb temps will "color shift" and essentially go higher. Sometimes 200-300K higher..many 4300K bulbs are actually 4100K, but over time it increases to a point

So, that is why I try to use a slightly higher temp for headlights than my fogs..its a personal choice, but you should keep some of these things in mind

Last edited by CJITTY; 12-07-11 at 02:42 PM.
Old 12-07-11, 03:06 PM
PhatDad
Driver

Thanks CJITTY!
Old 12-08-11, 09:44 AM
PhatDad
Driver

Thanks Mikey... I placed my order!

Quick Reply: For the 1,000,000Th time... fog lights...