LS - 4th Gen (2007-2017) Discussion topics related to the current flagship models LS460, LS460L and LS600H

Had Flat On Freeway...Advice On Dealer Visit Monday?

Search this Thread

Old 12-10-11, 09:34 PM
rolloman
Rookie

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Exclamation Had Flat On Freeway...Advice On Dealer Visit Monday?

Picked up a large bolt in driver's rear on the freeway here in Houston Sat. night. Lexus Roadside assistance arrived in about 30 minutes and quickly put on the spare in pretty dangerous conditions.

The tire looks like it can be repaired. Any tips on dealing with my Lexus Service Dept? How much should a tire repair cost? What about TPMS? Warning panel still shows the pressure for the tire that blew at 1 lb. with the two yellow exclamation points! I assume the dealer will reset after repair.

The tire only had about 6000 miles on it since I bought the CPO 09 LS SWB this past July. Will the dealer pro rate the cost of a new tire if required? What about cost of new TPMS?

Very thankful I purchased the 100k platinum extended warranty. Freeways are crazy on Sat. Nights! Saw a crazy dude cross 12 lanes of traffic on foot barely missing a few cars.

Big thanks CL!
Old 12-10-11, 10:06 PM
rominl
exclusive matchup

Received 190 Likes on 148 Posts

don't see any point in going to dealership for tire repair. if it's repairable any tire shop can do it for 10-20 bucks. you don't need to reset anything, as long as the tire is repair / replaced and pressure back up the normal, drive a bit and light will be off on the dash
Old 12-10-11, 10:28 PM
rolloman
Rookie

Thanks Rom. If tire shop does repair, will correct pressure show up on repaired tire as well as spare when put back in trunk area? Right now the spare is on the drivers rear and TPMS says tire is still at 1 lb. drove it for about 10 miles. Seems like system needs a reset.

I always wondered how the car knows the pressure of the spare...
Old 12-10-11, 10:41 PM
rominl
exclusive matchup

Received 190 Likes on 148 Posts

no, as discussed in a lot of other threads before. the order of the 5 tire pressure numbers on the dash has zero correlation with the location of the tires. it still show 1psi because that's the flat you have in the trunk now

the car has absolutely zero idea which tire is which, let alone which is the spare. it only knows to track numbers on 5 sensors
Old 12-10-11, 11:11 PM
Lextrician
Lexus Test Driver

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

i agree any reputable tire shop can handle a repair as long as it is repairable, a hole in threads is fine its the side wall that is a prob. unless u want a hundred dollar repair at the dealer give or take save some cash n get it handled somewhere else.
Old 12-11-11, 04:35 AM
rolloman
Rookie

To the tire shop it is. What was I thinking???? Thanks to both of you for a good dose of common sense!
Old 12-11-11, 05:35 AM
CJITTY
Lead Lap

Received 150 Likes on 112 Posts

Go to Discount Tire Co if they have a store near you..they most likely will do it for free if you have done business with them or not...they like to win customers over and have them return
Old 12-11-11, 07:37 AM
Craig B
Pole Position

Received 54 Likes on 38 Posts

Check with your dealer to see if you have a road hazard warranty on your tires. When I purchased new tires from my dealer, they came with road hazard. Worth checking into...
Old 12-11-11, 08:36 AM
Nospinzone

Received 419 Likes on 323 Posts

To echo what CJITTY said, you can also try NTB. Once when I had a flat repaired there they didn't charge me and I didn't even buy the tire there.
Old 12-11-11, 10:01 AM
Mikey100
Lead Lap

Originally Posted by CJITTY
Go to Discount Tire Co if they have a store near you..they most likely will do it for free if you have done business with them or not...they like to win customers over and have them return

Once again, I must strongly 2nd CJITTY's important advice: Discount Tire is all about "Winning Customers." They never heard about that dumb phrase "We service what we sell" or whatever.
They'll go out of their way to make you remember them the next time you need tires! They're just an outstanding SUPERB example of how all companies should operate !

In the meantime, a most Merry Christmas to all @@@@@

Mikey Lulejian
Out on a slow raising (!!!) Lake with Santa and the Elves !@

Last edited by Mikey100; 12-12-11 at 01:30 AM.
Old 12-11-11, 11:34 AM
rolloman
Rookie

I'll give Discount a try. I've done biz with them before. Been awhile. Hopefully I'm still in their system. Thanks again to all. CL is a life saver!
Old 12-11-11, 06:38 PM
CEOEngr
Intermediate

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

It sounds like you were on Katy Freeway Saturday night. There were few more cars further up on the feeder with flats; LOL there must be a pu truck missing a bucket of bolts and or nails. The constant danger of driving in Houston is from flying mattress to projectiles i.e. rocks.
Old 12-12-11, 12:42 PM
rolloman
Rookie

Discount Tire offered to fix flat for free but the tire was unrepairable. Shredded pretty badly on inside walls. Sold me a new one for a good price. Thanks!
Old 12-12-11, 02:21 PM
Nospinzone

Received 419 Likes on 323 Posts

So obviously Mikey's post above about "Winning Customers" is right on!
Old 12-12-11, 04:04 PM
adamls2
Lexus Champion

Received 9 Likes on 8 Posts

Glad to see that the problem is fixed I also do all my tire stuff through Discount Tire. They have great service.

Quick Reply: Had Flat On Freeway...Advice On Dealer Visit Monday?