LS - 4th Gen (2007-2017) Discussion topics related to the current flagship models LS460, LS460L and LS600H

2007 Lexus LS460L VSC/PCS/check engine light on

Search this Thread

Old 11-30-19, 11:59 AM
sha4000
Lexus Test Driver

Received 337 Likes on 290 Posts

Originally Posted by WoodyTx
Unfortunately, I paid cash for the car, so I won’t be turning it in! The car is actually a very nice car and rides very nice! It has its fair share of cosmetic issues, but most can be cleaned up with elbow grease, wet sanding, and a good compound! If I don’t get the dealership to respond to my needs and take care of the repair 100%, I’m going to the local TV stations for help! The pre owned manager told me that they only look at safety issues before selling a used car. So with thst response, they are going to take care of the yellow headlights since the light is being redirected due to the yellow tint!
Stop talking to the pre owned manager and email the GM of the dealership. Tell him that you are contemplating filing a complaint with the BBB and state attorney general if the issue is not addressed satisfactorily by the dealership.
The following users liked this post:
CamelKool (09-07-20)
Old 11-30-19, 12:43 PM
WoodyTx
Driver

Received 16 Likes on 10 Posts

Originally Posted by sha4000
Stop talking to the pre owned manager and email the GM of the dealership. Tell him that you are contemplating filing a complaint with the BBB and state attorney general if the issue is not addressed satisfactorily by the dealership.
the dealership contacted me today and quoted me 1700 to replace fuel pump gaskets, and O2 sensors, and then discounting it 15% for a total of 1500 and change! They then came back an hour later without a response from me, and said they would cover 500 of the bill, making my portion an even 1,000.00- needless to say, I will be meeting with the GM sometime next week, and after that, on to the Corporate office of a publicly traded company!
CamelKool (09-07-20)
Old 11-30-19, 12:55 PM
sha4000
Lexus Test Driver

Received 337 Likes on 290 Posts

Originally Posted by WoodyTx
the dealership contacted me today and quoted me 1700 to replace fuel pump gaskets, and O2 sensors, and then discounting it 15% for a total of 1500 and change! They then came back an hour later without a response from me, and said they would cover 500 of the bill, making my portion an even 1,000.00- needless to say, I will be meeting with the GM sometime next week, and after that, on to the Corporate office of a publicly traded company!
Good for you. The GM most likely knows nothing about this and will not like the ideal of his dealership being contacted by the BBB or his dealership coming up in searches made by disgruntled customers.
CamelKool (09-07-20)
Old 01-13-20, 09:34 AM
idg
Driver

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

Originally Posted by idg
Same (PCS, VSC, engine) on a 130k 2010 LS460 AWD. Shop cleared the faults, but it came back after 3 weeks (on a hot day). Faults went away after 3 days with no action on my part (on a cold and rainy day). Took it to the shop and replaced the battery. Hope the gremlin is gone....
Well, the gremlin fault came back. Ever since, I got into a cycle of driving fault free for 2-3 weeks just to have the fault (Check PCS system, engine fault) shows up again and clears in 2-3 days. Happened twice in the last few weeks. No impact (at least that I notice) on drivability.

CamelKool (09-07-20)
Old 02-23-21, 08:09 AM
qtrung909
Intermediate

Received 12 Likes on 12 Posts

I have had the same problem. It was going away and coming back but now its been pretty constant. Will attempt a new battery soon. Changed out the gas cap and thought that helped but it came back a few days later.
Old 07-06-21, 11:24 PM
HendyKK
Driver School Candidate

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts
Default Fixed!!!

Originally Posted by HendyKK
I have a 2007 LS460L with 119k miles and it just recently gave me the check VSC and PCS warnings with the check engine light, warning triangle, VSC symbol, and PCS indicator on the dashboard.

I was going uphill at a decent pace on a hot day and the lights start coming up. I did not lose power or feel any adverse effects but I pulled over anyways and shut down the engine. I spent a few minutes on the forum to look up the posts on this issue and found it to be a common problem that mainly meant issues with the battery or an assortment of sensors.

I turned the car back on and the lights remained. I drove home 40-50 miles and did more research to find a solution.

Many posts suggested removing the negative line from the battery to allow for the computers to reset so I tried that and it worked. I did try the reset and engine start button after I pulled the battery so maybe that had something to do with it.

I've been driving for a couple of days now and the lights have not come back. I will be changing the 4 year old battery soon and hopefully that will avoid any recurrence.

UPDATE-

I went through all of the recommendations I could find to address the VSC PCS light issue.
- Changed the battery- Only fixed it temporarily with the reset
- Replaced old gas cap- Again temporary fix if any but still good replacement to have
-Cleaned the MAF Sensor- BINGO!!! A simple can of MAF Cleaner solved this issue completely.

I have now driven for over 5000 miles including a trip to Vegas in 120 degree heat and the Lexus is running strong!

The answer to this frustratingly nagging issue is cleaning the Mass Airflow Sensors!!!

It's an easy job and I did it myself in the driveway. Many instructional YouTube videos available. I just used the standard can of CRC brand MAF Cleaner even though the warning says not to use on Lexus.

Use caution with the tiny screws for the sensor itself. I lost one down the bay and I should have just stuffed my rag under the sensor to block any drops.

I hope this helps and saves you the time and trouble it took me to figure this out.

YNWA
Old 07-08-21, 05:38 AM
lwphat66
Instructor

Received 448 Likes on 322 Posts

Originally Posted by HendyKK
UPDATE-

I went through all of the recommendations I could find to address the VSC PCS light issue.
- Changed the battery- Only fixed it temporarily with the reset
- Replaced old gas cap- Again temporary fix if any but still good replacement to have
-Cleaned the MAF Sensor- BINGO!!! A simple can of MAF Cleaner solved this issue completely.

I have now driven for over 5000 miles including a trip to Vegas in 120 degree heat and the Lexus is running strong!

The answer to this frustratingly nagging issue is cleaning the Mass Airflow Sensors!!!

It's an easy job and I did it myself in the driveway. Many instructional YouTube videos available. I just used the standard can of CRC brand MAF Cleaner even though the warning says not to use on Lexus.

Use caution with the tiny screws for the sensor itself. I lost one down the bay and I should have just stuffed my rag under the sensor to block any drops.

I hope this helps and saves you the time and trouble it took me to figure this out.

YNWA
For cleaning of the MAF sensors, I prefer to open the air boxes (for cleaning as well) and remove both intake tubes (disconnecting the sensors first) that the sensors are mounted in, rather than removing the sensors themselves from the intake tubes. I find it easier and less of a chance in damaging the sensors, as direct handling of them is avoided. Then I just use some CRC MAF Sensor Cleaner, giving each sensor 10 quick sprays then setting down the intake tubes vertically to dry. It may be overkill, but I like to perform the aforementioned when I'm changing the oil & filter, as this gives me something to do while waiting for the oil to drain.

Whichever method used, avoid any direct contact with the MAF sensor wire, as this could cause issues and/or damage. The warning one might stumble across about not using CRC MAF Sensor Cleaner on Lexus vehicles, I believe refers to early Lexus models (early to mid 90s maybe?) that utilized a Karman vortex type air flow meter rather than a MAF sensor. In pic below, the air box cover and intake runner that houses the MAF sensor is what I remove by undoing the 2 latches and the worm gear clamp (circled in red).

Old 07-28-21, 02:45 AM
Daddee18
Driver School Candidate

Received 4 Likes on 1 Post
Default 2008 Lexus LS 460 check engine VSC and traction light all came on at once

These lights came on a couple days after I had been messing around with the fuses. I took it to the dealer, and they told me it was the ECU/PCM the computer needs to be replaced. They quoted me $1998.00 it has to be a simpler solution to this. Any suggestions?
Old 07-28-21, 03:46 AM
fwhomeboy
Racer

Received 213 Likes on 179 Posts

My son took his car to the dealership and they told him he needed a pcm and a new alternator because his battery light on the dash kept coming on. We charged his battery and replaced his belt and it's fixed. They quoted him 1700 bucks. A 29 dollar belt and my time was cheaper. I hate Dealerships.
The following 2 users liked this post by fwhomeboy:
ALK (07-28-21), Anfanger (07-28-21)
Old 07-28-21, 05:55 AM
Anfanger
Pole Position

Received 875 Likes on 647 Posts

Originally Posted by fwhomeboy
My son took his car to the dealership and they told him he needed a pcm and a new alternator because his battery light on the dash kept coming on. We charged his battery and replaced his belt and it's fixed. They quoted him 1700 bucks. A 29 dollar belt and my time was cheaper. I hate Dealerships.
It is crazy to me that dealerships are allowed to do that! Sadly some people do not know better and keep paying whatever dealerships ask.
Old 07-28-21, 05:58 AM
jud149
Advanced

Received 144 Likes on 110 Posts

Originally Posted by Anfanger
It is crazy to me that dealerships are allowed to do that! Sadly some people do not know better and keep paying whatever dealerships ask.
Yes, you gotta be careful when dealing with most of them...