LS - 4th Gen (2007-2017) Discussion topics related to the current flagship models LS460, LS460L and LS600H

Any surprising feature of your LS you discovered after purchase?

Search this Thread

Old 01-07-12, 07:41 PM
Dema
Pole Position

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Any surprising feature of your LS you discovered after purchase?

I found 2 features so far
1 brake hold. My Mercedes has it and I use it a lot, although it is operating differently
2 door power ajar release. Again Mercedes has it but I didn't expect it from Lexus

I didn't try yet, if somebody knows I can fold mirrors?
Old 01-07-12, 09:30 PM
I8ABMR
Lexus Fanatic

Received 102 Likes on 67 Posts

For me the hold button is cool and with kids sleeping the car I like the automatic door closing feature. This allows me to simply let the door touch the body of the car and the autoclosers take over. This way there is is no slamming of doors or the trunk
Old 01-07-12, 11:42 PM
rominl
exclusive matchup

Received 190 Likes on 148 Posts

i believe these is auto mirror folding right?!
Old 01-08-12, 01:14 AM
LXurious
Advanced

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

Yea set the **** to the left that shows open always middle for auto and right for always closed for the mirror's.

For me it was the passenger controls on the side of the seat where me as the driver can move it forward recline etc.
Old 01-08-12, 02:47 AM
CJITTY
Lead Lap

Received 150 Likes on 112 Posts

The pollen button on HVAC was something unique. Also the "slow down" that occurs when you auto up the power windows to keep glass from hitting the top of the frame too hard
Old 01-08-12, 05:35 AM
agunjal
Driver School Candidate

There were so many......30 Gig Hard Drive, auto closing door, rear seats adjustment, vents on the rear sides, ....everyday i find something new....
Old 01-08-12, 08:52 AM
Mikey100
Lead Lap

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

For us (and I betcha there're gonna be some surprised faces out there reading this), it was when:

I accidently 'pulled' the SPEECH COMMAND SYSTEM "talk" button (locating on the left side of the steering wheel, directly below the VOLUME UP- VOLUME DOWN switches, and after being asked for a command < I replied (jokingly, of course) "RAISE TEMPTERATURE" ... and the system came back, replied "RAISING TEMPERATURE" and raised the temperature 4 degrees. This also works for lowering temperature.

I sincerely hope this win's the award for ....
"The Most Obscure LS460 Feature You Did Not Know You Had" ! - - -

Wishing everyone a Superb week ahead ... with a BIG Smile ........

Mikey Lulejian - Lake Oconee, GA

Last edited by Mikey100; 01-08-12 at 10:50 AM.
Old 01-08-12, 10:11 AM
jmcraney

Received 273 Likes on 207 Posts
Default Headlight "Twinklers"

I've related this before but I still think it is funny. When my car was new, and I didn't know what each button did and I was experimenting to find out, I was driving around one night and while stopped in traffic I decided to try that button on the dash that looks like a headlight/windshield wiper - because of age related night vision impairment and poor lighting I couldn't really see what was on the button. I noticed it sort of made the reflections on the back of the car ahead of me twinkle. So, I went home and called my wife out to the garage to demonstrate the headlight twinkler. After the demonstration there were big puddles on the floor and my wash job was fouled.
Old 01-08-12, 11:31 AM
snoylekim
Rookie

Originally Posted by jmcraney
I've related this before but I still think it is funny. When my car was new, and I didn't know what each button did and I was experimenting to find out, I was driving around one night and while stopped in traffic I decided to try that button on the dash that looks like a headlight/windshield wiper - because of age related night vision impairment and poor lighting I couldn't really see what was on the button. I noticed it sort of made the reflections on the back of the car ahead of me twinkle. So, I went home and called my wife out to the garage to demonstrate the headlight twinkler. After the demonstration there were big puddles on the floor and my wash job was fouled.
At least we have a choice .My previous vehicle ( E46 M3) would wash the headlights automatically, seemingly when it felt like it ( on startup) ... nice to see steaming drips of water in the winter, and feel drops of fluid going through the driver side window or moonroof occasionally - plus my parking garage neighbors got a quarter panel spray courtesy of this ..
Old 01-09-12, 10:00 AM
Nvbanker
Driver School Candidate

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

For me, the electronic/automatic parking brake. Sets when put in Park, releases when taken out of park. Jag and Lincoln had it, but Lexus didn't until 07. Very pleasantly surprised, and irritated when I drive my wife's Ford, that it doesn't!
Old 01-09-12, 11:03 PM
Dema
Pole Position

Another one surprising for me. My BMW BT loaded contacts automatically upon phone connection, however reading this forum I flund tbat Lexus doesn't do tbat and contacts need to be transfered one by one. So I wasn't surprised when conta t list appeared empty in LS after phone piring. So I decided investigate later how transfer contacts. So one day I selected transfer then switched to phone and it showed some message for approval, and as only I gramted it all my contacts were transfered in a second. Wow.
Old 01-09-12, 11:39 PM
rominl
exclusive matchup

Received 190 Likes on 148 Posts

Originally Posted by Dema
Another one surprising for me. My BMW BT loaded contacts automatically upon phone connection, however reading this forum I flund tbat Lexus doesn't do tbat and contacts need to be transfered one by one. So I wasn't surprised when conta t list appeared empty in LS after phone piring. So I decided investigate later how transfer contacts. So one day I selected transfer then switched to phone and it showed some message for approval, and as only I gramted it all my contacts were transfered in a second. Wow.
although to me that's a bit of a security issue. for bmw and mb, the contacts aren't loaded into the system at all. the system actually go through the contacts in your phone in real time to retrieve information. you know that's the case because if you take the phone out of range and bt disconnected, i believe all the contacts are "gone" too.

on the other hand for lexus, it's permanently stored inside the car. which means if your car is stolen, the thieves will have access to all the contact information in your phonebook.

another inconvenience is that if you have your phone book and then your wife has hers, it's going to be some fun
Old 01-10-12, 05:45 PM
Shibumi1
Lexus Champion

Received 86 Likes on 62 Posts

heated steering wheel.... found it 1 cold morn... it still makes me laugh on chilly morns..

also the pedal delay when u lift off the gas on the highway..all my other cars immediately slow..where the LS kind of floats at the same speed for a loooong while.. (with cruise control off mind you) really makes a difference on road trips keeping engine revs constant increasing gas mileage...(orlando fl to nyc on 2 tanks of gas...AMAZING!!!)
Old 01-10-12, 05:50 PM
MikeE12345
Pole Position

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by jmcraney
You can manually wash the head lights whenever you wish but if the windshield washer is operated with the headlights on the headlight washer will operate automatically once.
Old 01-10-12, 08:03 PM
Dema
Pole Position

Regarding phone book security, I found some funny side. It is very unlikely your car gets stolen, but situation as below can happen quite a bit. I have several contacts in my phone book I do not
Ike other see. So if I have wife in a car and the person name get displayed, and it can be questioned why I reject the call. In case of Lexus I just removed undesirable entries from the book after transferring. Now I can reject calls without name without questions.

Quick Reply: Any surprising feature of your LS you discovered after purchase?