LS - 4th Gen (2007-2017) Discussion topics related to the current flagship models LS460, LS460L and LS600H

two stupid questions from newbie

Search this Thread

Old 02-05-12, 07:08 PM
rhedrich
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default two stupid questions from newbie

first off dont start laughing but how can you tell if your car is AWD or RWD. I know on the back it would have AWD but people some take them off. Is their something in the vin number that codes it.

second is it worth to update the nav I have 2007 LS 460 L with ver 6.1

Old 02-05-12, 07:49 PM
LXurious
Advanced

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

If your LS is 2007 it is RWD I dont believe the first year had AWD option. And worth it is personal opinion I dont feel the need but perhaps your area that you live in has had major infrastructure/road changes within the last 5 years then you might feel it is worth it.
Old 02-05-12, 08:01 PM
DRVIII
Driver School Candidate

build the revs, throw it in gear, see which wheels spin
Old 02-05-12, 08:11 PM
rhedrich
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by LXurious
If your LS is 2007 it is RWD I dont believe the first year had AWD option. And worth it is personal opinion I dont feel the need but perhaps your area that you live in has had major infrastructure/road changes within the last 5 years then you might feel it is worth it.
the reason I ask when I do a vin decoder it comes up AWD but when I do a carfax it show RWD.
Old 02-05-12, 08:19 PM
adamls2
Lexus Champion

Received 9 Likes on 8 Posts

Originally Posted by rhedrich
the reason I ask when I do a vin decoder it comes up AWD but when I do a carfax it show RWD.
It's definitely RWD if it is an 07...and yes I personally think that updating to the latest software is valuable.
Old 02-06-12, 11:47 AM
vamsi03
Driver School Candidate

AWD has been an option starting from only 2009 models.
The 2007 and 2008 LS460 & LS460L Models are all RWD.

I'm a newbie as well and curious about your question on updating the nav.are you going to update the software
if yes how do you update it and does it cost
first off dont start laughing but how can you tell if your car is AWD or RWD. I know on the back it would have AWD but people some take them off. Is their something in the vin number that codes it.

second is it worth to update the nav I have 2007 LS 460 L with ver 6.1

Old 02-06-12, 12:41 PM
Mikey100
Lead Lap

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Default * Alternatives to "updating" the Lexus NAV system .....

Originally Posted by vamsi03
I'm a newbie as well and curious about your question on updating the nav.are you going to update the software
if yes how do you update it and does it cost
You are gonna get some different replies on this questions. There are 2 sides to this issues. First of all...Those who say "yes" and those who say - not only a "no" - But a "Hell No ! Don't WASTE your hard-earned money." You can simply have some fun and guess which camp I am in.

Rather than simply answer the question, let's examine the FACTS:

When the LS "NAV" system was engineered, it appears to have been engineered to 1999 or 1998 standards. It is simply outdated today ... and was never that useful to begin with. Why ? It's hard to make choices, difficult to change your mind/location, and many/most times won't get your there easily. Not whatsoever.

Is it a kewl looking map ? Yeah ... Kinda. Is it better than not having it at all ? YES !!!. Is it worth having "updated?" ...... Well ....... Heck No !

Wut's it gonna cost ya ? Maybe about $350 or so. Maybe a little less, maybe a little more. It MUST be done at a dealer !

But what is that alternative ? Let's again look at the facts. The NAV "system" is OK (just "OK" - never "good!"), UNLESS you need to get you somewhere EASILY, CORRECTLY, and in a HURRY. How often do you need help getting somewhere ? Once a week ? Once a month ?

So wut's the alternative ? There are 2 GOOD choices: (1) The GPS built into your SmartPhone or (2) A Garmin GPS ... say a 1350 or later model. The Garmin will cost you from NewEgg or Amazon (if you take the time to look a little) maybe $100 WITH LIFETIME UPDATES and/or LIFETIME TRAFFIC !!!! Yeah @ When you don't need it, it stores easily in your center console. And it works like a dream and is far more flexible in alternative routes, not even including looking for Restaurants, banks, gas stations etc !!! And the $100 Garmin solution is DELIVERED TO YOUR HOME. No need to make an appointment, drive to a dealer and leave your LS.

Your choice ........ But keep in mind there are GOOD alternatives to a Lexus "NAV update."

And please remember this: An Update to a POORLY DESIGNED SYSTEM still results in a POORLY DESIGNED SYSTEM !@ If I can help further, please PM me.

Wishing everyone a Great Week !
Mikey Lulejian - Lake Oconee, GA

Last edited by Mikey100; 02-06-12 at 01:00 PM.
Old 02-06-12, 12:51 PM
vamsi03
Driver School Candidate

Totally agree your opinion.The navigation that is in the car was such a pain to use and is for sure is outdated
Any Standalone navigation system or a smartphone would easily beat the navigation's performance hands down
Old 02-06-12, 02:11 PM
Nospinzone

Received 427 Likes on 330 Posts

first off dont start laughing but

Ooops, sorry, you asked us not to laugh! And hey, welcome to The Club!

I also have an '07 and I can tell you that AWD was not available for that model year. Perhaps you are misreading the code somehow.

Mikey gave you a nice review of what to consider as to the nav update. I updated mine this year for the first time. I got a deal on the update and installation, there were significant road changes in my area (you may have heard about the "Big Dig" in Boston), and I wanted to get rid of the "I Agree" screen. For $199 it was worth the money for me. Also, for my uses, the Lexus nav system is more than adequate even though the Garmin or others may be superior.
Old 02-06-12, 04:52 PM
Mikey100
Lead Lap

I aplogize ... How thoughtless of me. Quite seriously ........
Welcome to Club Lexus. We are glad you're here.
There are NO stupid questions .... We are all here to learn and share.
Hope you enjoy your new LS as much as we all are/have !
Ask away ! We enjoy helping.

PS - You won't get a NAV "update" for $199 ..... nospinzone got a deal ........ LOL !
Old 02-06-12, 05:37 PM
Nospinzone

Received 427 Likes on 330 Posts

Actually the price has gone down even more. When I had my update done Lexus delaers were offering the $199 promotion. I just went to see what the regular price is and now it's only $169.Depending on the dealer, and your negotiating skills, labor may run from $0 to $115 or more.

http://www.lexusnavigation.com/faq.php

13 How much does a navigation update cost?

The MSRP for the Version 11.1 update is $169 not including taxes and labor if required for its installation. Actual dealer price may vary.
Old 02-06-12, 05:46 PM
Mikey100
Lead Lap

I apologize for any confusion on pricing. Please continue reading for new clarity on this subject.

However .... An Update to a POORLY DESIGNED SYSTEM still results in a POORLY DESIGNED SYSTEM !@

The Garmin still costs about $100 (delivered to your door) and INCLUDES updates.

For clarity on this situation, I surveyed ELITE Lexus dealers across the US, today, Feb 8th, 2012. The results are somewhat surprising. And in almost all cases, some of you MIGHT wish to re-consider EVER getting your NAV system updated.

Here is the thread:
https://www.clublexus.com/forums/ls4...and-costs.html

I sincerely hope this helps you.

Last edited by Mikey100; 02-08-12 at 03:56 PM.