LS - 4th Gen (2007-2017) Discussion topics related to the current flagship models LS460, LS460L and LS600H

Recalibration of Speedo.....TPMS Question

Search this Thread

Old 02-06-12, 09:28 AM
Jasoneo5
Lexus Test Driver

Received 32 Likes on 22 Posts
Default Recalibration of Speedo.....TPMS Question

Are we able to recalibrate our speedometers. Mine is about 5mph off. And can we shut off our TPMS? Might be a dumb question, but I remember 10 yrs ago I was able to in my old 745.

Thanks

J
Old 02-06-12, 10:56 AM
bonafyd
Lexus Test Driver

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Not to thread jack but..
I wanna know about the TPMS also & can I run 2 sets of TPMS instead of switching them back & forth between wheels? I searched but no answer..
Old 02-06-12, 11:35 AM
kitchamp
Rookie

Originally Posted by Jasoneo5
Are we able to recalibrate our speedometers. Mine is about 5mph off. And can we shut off our TPMS? Might be a dumb question, but I remember 10 yrs ago I was able to in my old 745.

Thanks

J
Not sure about this one. But I have experienced that mine is off as well, as much as +3-5mph at 70mph. I also noticed that the cluster gives different readings, i.e. if I set cruise control right on 70mph on a flat roadway, then reset the average speed, it will read average speed as 67mph or so, never 70mph despite no change in speed. My portable GPS unit confirms the speed as given by the average speed indicator.

Originally Posted by bonafyd
Not to thread jack but..
I wanna know about the TPMS also & can I run 2 sets of TPMS instead of switching them back & forth between wheels? I searched but no answer..
I understand the LS can only store one set, unlike the GS which can store 2 sets and has a switch to allow you to select. Someone correct me if I am wrong please, because all of us with wheels want this one.
Old 02-06-12, 11:35 AM
Lextrician
Lexus Test Driver

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

good question would be to know before mount the wheels
Old 02-06-12, 12:10 PM
cheez80
Lexus Test Driver

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

you can only have one set of TPMS programmed at any given time with our cars, and i don't think there's a way to disable it. what you can do is have your tire shop make a "TPMS bomb", which is basically a pressurized container with the sensors tossed inside. i know a few guys who have aftermarket wheels who have done this
Old 02-06-12, 12:51 PM
Mikey100
Lead Lap

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by cheez80
you can only have one set of TPMS programmed at any given time with our cars, and i don't think there's a way to disable it. what you can do is have your tire shop make a "TPMS bomb", which is basically a pressurized container with the sensors tossed inside. i know a few guys who have aftermarket wheels who have done this
One additional solution - particularly useful for those in wintry conditions 2 sets of tires/wheels (snow and "regular") is if you have a DISCOUNT TIRE store near you. They are simply wonderful and many/most times, if you ask them nicely or call and request a good time to come in - they will perform the TPMS "reset" at probably no charge. They did mine, adjusted my air pressure on my Continentals for me, offered me a cold bottle or water - and then THANKED ME for coming in - for free. I feel sure CJIITY is gona rain in on this subject soon.

Good Luck ....... Working something out with a dealer is a CHEAP GOOD ALTERNATIVE that results in zero problems.

By the way ...... There are GOOD LOW COST TPMS Sensor alternatives available on eBAY. Please don't get socked into $50 - $75 EACH costs for TPMS sensors.

Good Luck to all,
Mikey Lulejian - Lake Oconee, GA
Old 02-06-12, 04:53 PM
bonafyd
Lexus Test Driver

Thanks for the reply fellas
Old 02-06-12, 05:22 PM
cheez80
Lexus Test Driver

oh, btw, there's a tpms bomb for sale in the classifieds right now, haha: https://www.clublexus.com/forums/whe...pipe-bomb.html
Old 02-06-12, 07:23 PM
CJITTY
Lead Lap

Received 150 Likes on 112 Posts

Originally Posted by cheez80
If you have two sets of wheels, you can use your OEM sensors for one set and have the tire place scan the sensors and tell you what the sensor IDs are.. Write them down. Then call the friendly folks at Orange TPMS http://www.orangetpmsusa.com and order a set of their oe style sensors that can be pre-programmed with your OEM sensor IDs..that way, you can swap wheel sets back and forth and the car TPMS computer has no idea the wheels are different..pretty nice setup.

I picked up a set of OE 107 sensors from Ebay for about $80 shipped and the Orange TPMS sensors were about $130 a set IIRC...but, I was lazy and just ordered two sets of Ebay sensors..in hindsight, I should of went OEM and Orange so I don't have to run to the tire shop each time to reprogram them when i throw the OEM wheels on for long road trips..luckily Discount Tire does the programming for free..but still a hassle

Last edited by CJITTY; 02-06-12 at 07:30 PM.
Old 02-06-12, 07:42 PM
CJITTY
Lead Lap

Originally Posted by Mikey100
I feel sure CJIITY is gona rain in on this subject soon.

Oh, you know it lol
Old 02-06-12, 08:42 PM
Mikey100
Lead Lap

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by CJITTY
Oh, you know it lol

Who loves ya ? @@@@@ ! .... LOL !

Thanks for additional "Clarity" ! Knew ya'ld come through.

Hey Everyone ! ..... Go have some * FUN * this week !

Mikey Lulejian - Lake Oconee, GA (2 Largemouths caught off my dock yesterday !!!!! - Sadly NOT by me, however ! .......LOL !
Old 02-07-12, 08:54 AM
cheez80
Lexus Test Driver

Originally Posted by CJITTY
If you have two sets of wheels, you can use your OEM sensors for one set and have the tire place scan the sensors and tell you what the sensor IDs are.. Write them down. Then call the friendly folks at Orange TPMS http://www.orangetpmsusa.com and order a set of their oe style sensors that can be pre-programmed with your OEM sensor IDs..that way, you can swap wheel sets back and forth and the car TPMS computer has no idea the wheels are different..pretty nice setup.

I picked up a set of OE 107 sensors from Ebay for about $80 shipped and the Orange TPMS sensors were about $130 a set IIRC...but, I was lazy and just ordered two sets of Ebay sensors..in hindsight, I should of went OEM and Orange so I don't have to run to the tire shop each time to reprogram them when i throw the OEM wheels on for long road trips..luckily Discount Tire does the programming for free..but still a hassle
yes, you should get an additional set of sensors instead (and i've heard a lot of cool things about the orange sensors); the tire bomb is something for people who have wheels that aren't TPMS compatible (like reverse lip wheels without the additional hole on the inner barrel)
Old 02-07-12, 01:28 PM
bonafyd
Lexus Test Driver

So i was talking to a friend of mine & he says I can dump the 4 sensors in the spare tire & it'll do basically the same thing as the tire bomb..iono what'cha think??
Old 02-07-12, 02:03 PM
kitchamp
Rookie

Originally Posted by bonafyd
So i was talking to a friend of mine & he says I can dump the 4 sensors in the spare tire & it'll do basically the same thing as the tire bomb..iono what'cha think??
Until the moment you need to use the spare tire...then its sounds like a bad idea.
Old 02-07-12, 02:07 PM
CJITTY
Lead Lap

Originally Posted by kitchamp
Until the moment you need to use the spare tire...then its sounds like a bad idea.
Took the words right out of my mouth...with this car, do it right or not at all. That is just a turrble idea #barkley

For the OP:How do you know it is 5mph off? I hope you are not using the radar speed construction signs to tell you that information..those are not accurate at all.

Quick Reply: Recalibration of Speedo.....TPMS Question