LS - 4th Gen (2007-2017) Discussion topics related to the current flagship models LS460, LS460L and LS600H

Tips for Lowering a 2010 LS460 AWD (non-air ride suspension)

Search this Thread

Old 02-10-12, 10:24 PM
mnlexuslvr
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Tips for Lowering a 2010 LS460 AWD (non-air ride suspension)

Hope all is well. New to the site but 15+ year Lexus owner and sorry if this is has already been posted. I have a 2010 LS460 (white/black for all it matters) I purchased late last summer. I run the factory 19" rims spring/summer/fall and have another set of the factory 18" rims/tires for winter. I am looking to lower it a bit (not sure how much - at least 1") but wanted advice. The car does NOT have air ride suspension. From what I read it looks like it needs springs and maybe shocks...

Please let me know thoughts.

Tim
Old 02-10-12, 11:16 PM
CJITTY
Lead Lap

Received 150 Likes on 112 Posts

Go with Tanabe springs and new oem struts from Trademotion Pembroke Pines. Tanabes springs are under $250 shipped and brand new struts are around $700 shipped. You will also need the +2mm camber arm brackets from Trade motion. 4 pieces under $130 shipped. More info Tanabe thread listed in my autosignature...good luck
Old 02-11-12, 02:39 AM
GSP David
Pole Position

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Tanabe's are great but they go a bit lower than an inch. A buddy of mine has them on his car and they ride like stock. Shocks are optional because the stock shocks are pretty reliable. You probably wont need camber arms with the springs but they are nice to have.
Old 02-11-12, 07:09 AM
Mikey100
Lead Lap

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by mnlexuslvr
I am looking to lower it a bit (not sure how much - at least 1") but wanted advice. The car does NOT have air ride suspension. From what I read it looks like it needs springs and maybe shocks... Please let me know thoughts. Tim
1) Listen to what CJITTY tells ya. He knows. THEN ..........
2) Drive to GA and get HIM to do the install, using all he learned from Shubumi1 in Fla). LOL ! I feel sure Chris has the time and patience to do it again. <Oh .... I'm gonna pay fer this one ...... LOL ! - >

Good Luck....the WORK is well-worth the time and effort however ! AND !!!!!!! ........ Welcome to Club Lexus !!!!!
Mikey Lulejian - Lake Oconee, GA
Old 02-11-12, 10:20 AM
cheez80
Lexus Test Driver

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

the front suspension is different on AWD cars compared to RWD cars -- i have this issue with my 600h. make sure with tanabe that the springs will work with your car before you purchase. good luck!
Old 02-11-12, 11:55 AM
CJITTY
Lead Lap

My car recently had a blown strut...I think it must of been weak before I put the springs on. We all know lowering springs put added stress on oem struts so it recently started leaking and then failed. In hindsight, i should of just put new struts on knowing this car came from NYC. It may make sense to just put new struts on at the same time since the labor is not additional because it all has to come apart during the spring install. I can tell that front corner with the new strut seems to take bumps better. I Didn't realize it was different for AWD

Last edited by CJITTY; 02-11-12 at 12:36 PM.
Old 02-11-12, 02:09 PM
mnlexuslvr
Driver School Candidate

Thanks everyone. I will post pre-and post pics.
Old 02-12-12, 05:08 PM
mnlexuslvr
Driver School Candidate

One last inquiry. Despite the fact my car does not have the air ride suspension (the only height control is a button to press to put it in "high") the other day I noticed the car was sitting significantly lower when it was parked. How is this possible? I have played with the height button and have been unable to duplicate. Does this sound correct?
Old 02-12-12, 05:44 PM
cheez80
Lexus Test Driver

One last inquiry. Despite the fact my car does not have the air ride suspension (the only height control is a button to press to put it in "high") the other day I noticed the car was sitting significantly lower when it was parked. How is this possible? I have played with the height button and have been unable to duplicate. Does this sound correct?
does the button say "HEIGHT HIGH?" if so, you have air suspension. i'm not aware of any other button in the car that says high, but i may be mistaken.
Old 02-13-12, 03:44 AM
CJITTY
Lead Lap

Originally Posted by cheez80
does the button say "HEIGHT HIGH?" if so, you have air suspension. i'm not aware of any other button in the car that says high, but i may be mistaken.
Exactly....I thought the same thing when I read that
Old 02-13-12, 05:29 PM
mnlexuslvr
Driver School Candidate

Thanks for hanging in there with me guys. You are correct it does read "Height High" and when the button is engaged a light illuminates from the dash that reads "High". In looking at the window sticker it does have "Center Differential/Adaptive Variable Suspension (AVS). I was working under the impression that (if available) you could adjust the cars height to high, meduim, or low. Does not look like that is an option...
Still not sure how or why the car lowered itself the other day (by at least 2")...
Old 02-13-12, 05:36 PM
cheez80
Lexus Test Driver

Thanks for hanging in there with me guys. You are correct it does read "Height High" and when the button is engaged a light illuminates from the dash that reads "High". In looking at the window sticker it does have "Center Differential/Adaptive Variable Suspension (AVS). I was working under the impression that (if available) you could adjust the cars height to high, meduim, or low. Does not look like that is an option...
Still not sure how or why the car lowered itself the other day (by at least 2")...
so you do have air suspension! congratulations! instead of looking at tanabe springs, investigate getting a data systems air controller either through prestigious society or directly from data systems.
Old 02-14-12, 03:51 PM
mnlexuslvr
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by cheez80
so you do have air suspension! congratulations! instead of looking at tanabe springs, investigate getting a data systems air controller either through prestigious society or directly from data systems.
Thank you! Hopefully this makes things easier. I will lean on them to help...