LS - 4th Gen (2007-2017) Discussion topics related to the current flagship models LS460, LS460L and LS600H

2008 LS460 Wind Noise

Search this Thread

Old 02-16-12, 07:05 PM
bizpage
Driver School Candidate

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default 2008 LS460 Wind Noise

I recently brought my car in for service, as the wind noise coming from my both front windows was getting worse. I brought it in several months earlier complaining about the same problem. The service advisor said he personally took it for a test ride and couldn't duplicate the problem.

I love my LS but was really getting annoyed at the constant wind noise on the highway. I've read the fix that several other members have written about on this forum. and hoped to hear weather it was a long term fix.

This time the service writer called to tell me He definitely heard the noise, Lexus is aware of the problem, but there is no known fix. additionally I brought the car in for a battery problem, and since my car was one month past the warranty period it would cost me 220.00 for a new battery. I only have 30k miles on the car, and was really pissed that my dealer couldn't do anything about either problem.

I've owned 13 Lexus vehicles through the years (presently I own 3) and have Lexus to be reliable and going the extra mile to make the experience of owning their cars worthy.
After hanging up with the service writer I called Lexus Customer care.
They were great. First they covered the Battery.
Second He did some research on the wind noise, and found most people who had the side view mirror fix to take care of the wind noise were complaining it actually made the problem worse.
There is a new service advisory note about this specific problem.
The fix was to replace all of the window moldings around both front windows with a newly designed molding. I picked my car up several days later and now after two weeks, I can honestly say the fix worked perfectly.
Thank You Lexus customer service. I am now again really enjoying my LS.

Last edited by bizpage; 02-16-12 at 07:09 PM.
Old 02-17-12, 06:12 AM
persian
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Is there any way you could describe just how loud the noise was? And at what speed would you start to hear it?
Old 02-17-12, 08:51 PM
bizpage
Driver School Candidate

Persian,
The wind noise was most notable over 50 MPH, and was interfering with the stereo and phone conversations. People would actually ask me if my window was down. However at times it would be minimized. I guess as time went on it had gotten worse. Now it absolutely does not exist.
Old 02-21-12, 07:08 AM
jmcraney

Received 276 Likes on 208 Posts

bizpage,

Thank you for sharing your experience with us. I too am a member of the brotherhood who has made the transition to no-wind-noise. I understand your elation. It is hard to fully appreciate how that changes things unless you've been through it.

It would be interesting to know if your car came with this problem or did it emerge as the car aged?

For most of us who have beat this problem the solution was to repair the trim at the corner of the front door windows.

It is possible that your "wind noise cure" was the result of replacement of the trim instead of the "window molding" - a sort of accidental fix. I don't think it is possible to replace molding with out removing the trim and that would require new trim pieces. I have explained many times in the wind noise discussion that replacing the trim might be a fix for some of the cars.

The reason I am telling you this is to explain that the new trim might separate in a few days, weeks or months because the reason that this happens is not necessarily faulty trim but the way the car is made.

If your wind noise problem returns you should try the DIY fix because it is more durable.

In case you don't know how to find the DIY instructions, check here: https://www.clublexus.com/forums/ls4...noise-fix.html
Old 02-21-12, 03:40 PM
bizpage
Driver School Candidate

The car always had the problem, But every time I brought it in to my dealership they couldn't duplicate the noise.
I considered your fix but if the dealership wasn't finding the problem I wasn't sure where to go with it. I am pretty handy, I've put a remote start in the car with Smart Start GPS, I've purchased and installed the Navigation Lock pick from Prestige Socity, and went in like flint but taking apart door panels, well that may go beyond me.
Like I stated in the initial thread, Lexus is aware of the problem in this vehicle and my vin fell in their parameters, and they think this was the best fix. I guess we'll see. I wanted other members to know Lexus finally does have their own fix, and time will tell.
Old 02-21-12, 05:48 PM
Mikey100
Lead Lap

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

bizpage: Great thread. Extremely informative - especially with Jeff's additions. I appreciate all you wrote. Many Thanks -
And a BIG "Welcome To Club Lexus !" -
Mikey Lulejian - Lake Oconee, GA
Old 02-21-12, 07:32 PM
Lextrician
Lexus Test Driver

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

Do u know exactly what they did to remedy the problem.. I cant tell if I have a wind problem or not sometimes I can hear it and sometimes I can't last time I owned a Ls was in 2000 when I had a 96 which was very quiet..
Old 02-22-12, 07:18 PM
bizpage
Driver School Candidate

It was my understanding that they took both door panels off, then removed old molding around entire door and installed the redesigned molding. If the problem exists in any 07-08 (mid year I believe manufactured before April 08) Customer service at Lexus 800# they would determine if your car falls in this class, ask them to research any new service bulletins available. That's what I went through. The wind noise was quite easy to identify, and always annoying. If you push on the window slightly while moving the wind noise got worse. After getting back the car even applying slight pressure to the window, there is no noise.