LS - 4th Gen (2007-2017) Discussion topics related to the current flagship models LS460, LS460L and LS600H

LS460 - and all Lexus - Spark Plug Change Intervals

Search this Thread

Old 05-04-20, 09:22 AM
NotFasty
Pole Position

Received 57 Likes on 45 Posts

Profit source for car dealers - in order of how much $ they make - is:
  1. the service area
  2. used cars
  3. new cars
My theory is people pay less for cars (compared to 20-30 years ago, since everyone knows "invoice prices") and dealers have moved to regaining that in their service bays.
Old 05-05-20, 08:43 AM
Johnhw2
Pit Crew

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

One of the early responses suggested the change from 120lk to 60k interval on the LS was due to emissions standards? If there no performance or longevity driving this need? What is the impact of waiting until 100k miles? Invalidates warranty?

Thanks for the education
Old 05-05-20, 09:16 AM
bigsherv
Intermediate

Received 42 Likes on 26 Posts

What needs to be done at 60K if we are not doing plugs?
Old 05-05-20, 10:09 AM
fwhomeboy
Racer

Received 214 Likes on 180 Posts

Originally Posted by bigsherv
What needs to be done at 60K if we are not doing plugs?
Oil change and cabin filters. Full tank of 93 Octane and a lead foot !!!
I'm just joking......

Last edited by fwhomeboy; 05-05-20 at 10:24 AM.
Old 05-05-20, 10:15 AM
gmanbox
Driver School Candidate

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I believe invalidates warranty. I'm not sure how they enforce this, and what part of the warranty it invalidates though.

I'm not technically advanced, but I plan on doing it (late, at 76k accidentally) because it's a key part of an engine's daily function, operating thousands of times. That if left undone and fires at suboptimal rates, can lead to harm in other parts of the engine that will be even more expensive to fix later on.

And this isn't like the dealer is pushing it like it does oil changes, where the manufacturers usually state you can go much longer between oil changes.
Old 05-23-21, 01:52 PM
DrQuality
Pit Crew

Received 68 Likes on 40 Posts
Default 2007 LS460 is first specified at 60000 miles

For those of you saying that the 2007 Lexus LS460 is first specified for a spark plug change at 120000 miles … but that 2008+ are first specified at 60000 miles …

I have downloaded a copy of the 2007 ES/GS/IS/LS/SC Warranty and Services Guide. On page 53 it specifies a spark plug change for the LS at 72 months/60000 miles. There is a footnote to that requirement stating "Required under the terms of the Emission Control Warranty." Then page 61 next specifies an LS spark plug change at 144 months/120000 miles, with the same footnote.

I also checked my 2007 VIN at Lexus Canada and it also specified a spark plug change at the same intervals.

I am not saying you should (or should not) change them on your 2007 LS at 60000 miles. I am saying that Lexus officially specifies they should first be changed on a 2007 LS at 60000 miles.

The reference to "Emissions Control Warranty," I would think, is tied to the Federal & California Emissions Control Warranties. Those warranties are laws that require, under certain conditions parts age and/or miles, that the dealer must repair at no charge any vehicle that fails smog so that it passes. (You can look it up if you want to know the details & conditions.) However, the owner must be able to show that he/she properly maintained the vehicle according to its maintenance schedule. So what I believe Lexus is saying is that it is not going let itself be "on the hook" for repairing USA cars that fail smog ... unless (among other things) the spark plugs were replaced at 60000 miles.

Last edited by DrQuality; 05-23-21 at 02:04 PM.
Old 05-23-21, 03:26 PM
Duck05
Pole Position

Received 376 Likes on 254 Posts

Our independent mechanic is ambivalent on changing the plugs at 60k (on our ‘14). Gave me the choice but the delta is $410 more on top of the 60k items. Based on what this thread documents I can wait until 120k. Thanks for all the info....
The following users liked this post:
Doublebase (05-23-21)
Old 05-23-21, 04:54 PM
Doublebase
Pole Position

Received 355 Likes on 245 Posts

Originally Posted by Duck05
Our independent mechanic is ambivalent on changing the plugs at 60k (on our ‘14). Gave me the choice but the delta is $410 more on top of the 60k items. Based on what this thread documents I can wait until 120k. Thanks for all the info....
Yup, personally I think 60,000 miles is far too early. I usually change mine out at 100k, but even then I feel as if I’m doing it too early (the plugs still look new), so I think you’ll be fine at 120,000 miles.
Old 06-17-21, 09:06 AM
DrQuality
Pit Crew

Received 68 Likes on 40 Posts

My recently purchased 2007 Lexus LS460 with 119k miles was, based on mileage & lack of any on‑point vehicle history, due for a spark plug change. I researched this extensively online before the work was done, and so I have accumulated all that knowledge -- much of it coming from this website, thank you all very much -- into a sort of 'single‑source primer' for other owners to readily access. Apologies in advance for any minor inaccuracies.

EXECUTIVE SUMMARY: Be aware that the market is apparently flooded with ultra-low-priced counterfeit Denso plugs, especially on Amazon & eBay, so be cautious from where you buy your plugs. Ultimately I purchased the Denso Iridium TTs at Advance Auto Parts for $9.29 each before tax. The OEM Denso Iridium Long Lifes were about $17-$20, depending upon the source. I purchased the TTs from Advance Auto Parts since Denso specifically lists them as a National Distribution Partner, something that led me to believe that the chance of getting counterfeits from Advance would be slim. The job books at 2.3 hours of labor. I paid an independent mechanic (who specializes in Toyota/Lexus product and has prior experience working as an auto mechanic in Japan) $198.00 to install them. So, parts labor & tax, I was in for about $280.00.

ALL THE DETAILS: The 2007 Lexus Warranty & Services Guide, page 53, states the vehicle should have a spark plug change first at 60000 miles, then on page 61, again at 120000 miles. Further, the Lexus Canada maintenance schedule also states the vehicle should have a spark plug change first at 60000 miles then again at 120000 miles. Changing at 60000 miles would be required in order to remain qualified for Federal & California-mandated Emissions Control Warranties. Those warranties are laws that require, under certain conditions (parts, age and/or miles), that the dealer must repair at no charge any vehicle that fails smog so that it passes. (You can look it up if you want to know the details & conditions.) However, the owner must be able to show that he/she properly maintained the vehicle according to its maintenance schedule. So what I believe Lexus is saying by requiring a 60k spark plug change … is that it is not going let itself be "put on the hook" for repairing USA cars that fail smog ... unless (among other things) the spark plugs were replaced at 60000 miles in order to maximize emissions outcomes.

Page 610 of the 2007 Lexus LS460 Owner's Manual specifies Denso OEM Long-Life (SIP-Super Igniting Plug) Iridium Spark Plugs, FK20HBR11. The Denso part number is #3473. The Toyota part number is 90919-01249 but it’s the Denso 3473 that will be found in the box. It's a V8 engine so yes it takes a quantity of eight. This is the same spark plug that is OEM even for the 2017 Lexus LS460, the last year for this V8 engine.

Around 2015, however, Denso released a next-generation-technology iridium spark plug that fits this vehicle, the Denso Iridium TT (Twin Tip) spark plug, IKBH20TT. The Denso part number is #4705. There is a Toyota part number but nevertheless my Toyota dealership told me it was not available to order; I suppose they prefer installing the higher-priced (hence higher-markup) OEM plugs. The retail cost is about 40% that of the Denso OEM Long-Life product. The major difference is that the ground electrode shape was changed from a flat, round "pancake" to a protruding tip (hence two tips) of smaller diameter … and the proximity of the two tips means that a slightly smaller gap is specified. The Denso website plainly offers the Iridium TT as an alternative installation versus the original Iridium OEM Long Life product. Denso says both have a life expectancy of over 100000 miles. Some TT users (but not many) report slightly better gas mileage. Also some users report that the TTs are more difficult to counterfeit. The Denso webpage describing the benefits of the Iridium TT product is found at https://bit.ly/3hRxdNH .

After much searching & reading, I've concluded that the OEM Long Life product appeals more to manufacturers & dealerships because it (1) is a more conservative product … that it provides some small additional degree of reliability & longevity at the expense of the improvements in ignition quality, fuel economy and engine performance/acceleration that the Iridium TT claims to provide. And because it (2) retails for more than twice as much … thereby jacking the pricing-out of dealership tune-ups significantly (even though the dealerships may actually be obtaining them at a very low wholesale cost). I am visualizing this as sort of in the same way that it seems that new cars are always equipped with lower-quality tires that don't last very long, no matter the brand of tire or brand of vehicle. Some owners just keep coming back to pay the dealership over and over again to re-purchase the same overpriced low-life "OEM" tires … when there are actually much better tires available for less money in the open market.

Again, the spark plug job books at 2.3 hours of labor. For the DIYers, there are at least three YouTube videos illustrating the work: https://bit.ly/3gBbZRY , https://bit.ly/3wAuRr4 , https://bit.ly/35u5bQO . Both of the air filter boxes have to be removed. On the passenger side, the battery and the battery box have to be pulled to gain access to the back plug. On the driver's side, if you have a magnetic swivel spark plug socket and a 4" extension, you can apparently easily access the back plug without moving/removing anything else. Or you can 10mm-unbolt and scoot‑away the Ignition Module box module to get your clearance. After you pull the ignition coil pigtails, the ignition coils are each held by a single 10mm bolt to the valve cover. Some of the ignition coils will require you to pull the spark plug tube seal out with the ignition coil to get the needed (additional one-eighth-inch) clearance to pull the ignition coil out easily; this is the procedure recommended by the Technical Manual (as opposed to levering the engine itself with a heavy pry tool). According to online videos, the tube seals are notched so that you can just pry up & out each tube seal with a flat screwdriver head after you have partially extracted the un-cleared ignition coil. Excessive oil on an old plug and/or ignition coil is a signal to replace the leaking spark plug tube seal and to monitor for possible replacement of valve cover gasket.

These Denso plugs are pre-gapped and should NOT be manually gapped, else engine damage may occur. You can certainly check the gap, though. However note that there are plenty of DIYers that say the gap in these Denso plugs are usually off. And they claim there is a special tool that can safely correctly gap precious-metal spark plugs such as these.

Also a lot of warnings from Denso and other manufacturers of iridium plugs to NOT use any anti‑seize on them when installing them. Most plugs today come with a thin coating of anti-seize that will not damage the engine, that won't cause an inability to remove the spark plug later, etc. If you were RE-installing USED spark plugs for some reason, then that is a different matter.

As long as you are replacing the spark plugs, you might as well replace all the rubber spark plug tube seals. You are "already there" anyway … and they are certainly going to have a decent chance of drying-out and/or cracking & leaking before you reach 240000 miles, especially if you are in a hot & dry climate. And they only cost about $4 each. The Toyota part number is "11193‑38020 Gasket, Spark Plug."

In case you find you need to replace an ignition coil, that Toyota part number is 90919-02250, about $50 each, but you can find aftermarket for much less if you want to go that way.

Also, "while you are there," this is a good opportunity to physically/visually check the platinum hot wire on the MAF sensor for dirt, foreign material, etc. and replace if needed.

The following users liked this post:
NotFasty (06-18-21)