LS - 4th Gen (2007-2017) Discussion topics related to the current flagship models LS460, LS460L and LS600H

Wrapped roof LS460 L

Search this Thread

Old 03-19-12, 06:57 PM
lbintab
Lexus Test Driver

Received 18 Likes on 18 Posts

Originally Posted by I8ABMR
I usually dont like this kid of mod but this looks good on your LS. When you wrap the roof does it come in sheets?? How is it applied??
It was a long sheet. All vinyl comes 48" wide and the length needed for the roof is about 7ft. You can use the section you cut out for the sunroof for misc parts you may want to wrap. I've seen people use it for door pillars, cell phones, laptops, etc. It has and adhesive side. You use a bottle of water with a little bit of dish washing soap. Never use window cleaner or something like that. The ammonia in the cleaner breaks down the adhesive. Lightly soapy water works best...and use a liberal amount of the material and roof.
Old 03-21-12, 06:14 AM
Shibumi1
Lexus Champion

Received 86 Likes on 62 Posts

its curious.. i thought of wrapping the plastics under the hood (which would rarely be seen) an i was accused of being too "RICE". now the entire roof is being wrapped an all of a sudden its a good idea????? i'm confused? someone plz explain?
Old 03-21-12, 01:03 PM
lbintab
Lexus Test Driver

Originally Posted by Shibumi1
its curious.. i thought of wrapping the plastics under the hood (which would rarely be seen) an i was accused of being too "RICE". now the entire roof is being wrapped an all of a sudden its a good idea????? i'm confused? someone plz explain?
honestly i think it has to do with what you're actually wrapping. i would consider wrapping smaller things on my car if i also wrapped something large...like my roof. but i don't think i would wrap the smaller parts without doing something big first. its like i feel someone's trying too hard and bought a little bit of the wrap to wrap small things. i bought half a roll and dropped a good amount on it. resold most of it but had lots of it left to do my roof. I say you should do the engine covers. i was thinking of it too. im just concerned about the heat.
Old 03-21-12, 01:07 PM
jadu
live.love.laugh.lexus

Received 89 Likes on 71 Posts

well done
Old 03-23-12, 03:28 AM
Shibumi1
Lexus Champion

Originally Posted by lbintab
honestly i think it has to do with what you're actually wrapping. i would consider wrapping smaller things on my car if i also wrapped something large...like my roof. but i don't think i would wrap the smaller parts without doing something big first. its like i feel someone's trying too hard and bought a little bit of the wrap to wrap small things. i bought half a roll and dropped a good amount on it. resold most of it but had lots of it left to do my roof. I say you should do the engine covers. i was thinking of it too. im just concerned about the heat.
understood.... but all i planned on wrapping were the plastics under the hood (the smallest piece is around 18''), an not the center only the outer pieces..i even looked into hydro-cladding.. that too was frowned upon..it was stated that the only "acceptable" solution was to get actual carbon fiber (which i priced at a lil shy of $5k)

now to put a piece of vinyl on THE ROOF is fine but to add a lil accent under the hood that'll never be seen unless i goto a show.. which was the only reason i even thought of doin it (engine bay is boring)

https://www.clublexus.com/forums/ls4...yes-or-no.html
Old 03-23-12, 03:35 PM
brianlin87
Racer

Received 27 Likes on 23 Posts

For what it's worth, I feel the same way about this thread as I did about your previous thread. The difference in responses is due to "different folks with different strokes". I think OP would've been better off painting his roof black or wrapping it black (versus CF); but that's just my opinion because I'm not a fan of this fake carbon fad.

Nothing against car wraps or any of that (still looking into doing it myself), I just don't like the fake carbon.

Last edited by brianlin87; 03-24-12 at 01:03 PM.
Old 03-23-12, 04:27 PM
bonafyd
Lexus Test Driver

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by brianlin87
For what it's worth, I feel the same way about this thread as I did about your previous thread. The difference in responses is due to "different folks with different strokes". I think OP would've been better off painting his roof black or wrapping is black (versus CF); but that's just my opinion because I'm not a fan of this fake carbon fad.

Nothing against car wraps or any of that (still looking into doing it myself), I just don't like the fake carbon.
I concur
Old 03-24-12, 08:29 AM
Jasoneo5
Lexus Test Driver

Received 32 Likes on 22 Posts

When you took off the side molding (assuming you did), did you start from the back? Don't want to use too much force and crease it
Old 03-24-12, 08:37 AM
Lextrician
Lexus Test Driver

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

i can dig that. would wrapping anything underhood hold up though??? why not paint it.
Old 03-24-12, 12:26 PM
lbintab
Lexus Test Driver

Originally Posted by Jasoneo5
When you took off the side molding (assuming you did), did you start from the back? Don't want to use too much force and crease it
I didn't remove the molding in the rain gutters. I trimmed to that and tucked in along.
Old 03-24-12, 12:29 PM
lbintab
Lexus Test Driver

Originally Posted by Lextrician
i can dig that. would wrapping anything underhood hold up though??? why not paint it.
I figure i'll pain when i'm ready to paint all the things needed to pain on the car like the small paint chips. for now this works well. Gloss black wrap is still dull so that's why i didn't do a black wrap. i don't think i'm really fakin the funk because everyone knows that it's a wrap. It's not like someone is even going to attempt to make a real one. as far as under the hood i'm not sure how it will hold up. My crew has a wrapped Suburban and that's been wrapped for about 5 years and is exposed to the elements...heat cold etc and it's held up ok. It's time to change it but it's held up
Old 03-24-12, 05:39 PM
Shibumi1
Lexus Champion

Originally Posted by Lextrician
wrapping under the hood holds up just fine...the sample piece i put on last year... is still there an not going anywhere it seems... i'm still trying to find a more inexpensive way to make REAL CF pieces under there.. so i left it to give people an idea of the style i was going for..

it really is time consuming to make molds and form new pieces.. so it'll wait til i tear down for paint...

and paint under the hoods been done.(besides what color would i do.. my cars gray!). i want something a bit more original.. so the search continues...
Old 03-25-12, 11:19 PM
LXurious
Advanced

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

What part of the bay are you from? I live in Pinole I'd like to check out your LS chat about cars etc.
Old 03-25-12, 11:24 PM
lbintab
Lexus Test Driver

Originally Posted by LXurious
What part of the bay are you from? I live in Pinole I'd like to check out your LS chat about cars etc.
Ha I live in Pinole
Old 03-26-12, 11:43 AM
adamls2
Lexus Champion

Received 9 Likes on 8 Posts

wrapping under the hood holds up just fine...the sample piece i put on last year... is still there an not going anywhere it seems... i'm still trying to find a more inexpensive way to make REAL CF pieces under there.. so i left it to give people an idea of the style i was going for..

it really is time consuming to make molds and form new pieces.. so it'll wait til i tear down for paint...

and paint under the hoods been done.(besides what color would i do.. my cars gray!). i want something a bit more original.. so the search continues...
Aha, I remember that thread; when we saw the HKS supercharged LS with the sick CB engine covers for inspiration I want to paint my covers but I don't know what color Maybe a wrap could do the trick.

I'm tempted to wrap my whole car matte white or flat army green (don't kill me lol)

Quick Reply: Wrapped roof LS460 L