LS - 4th Gen (2007-2017) Discussion topics related to the current flagship models LS460, LS460L and LS600H

Can a 460L be converted to coilovers?

Search this Thread

Old 03-15-12 | 06:07 AM
brmcvay
Rookie

Default Can a 460L be converted to coilovers?

We are having issues with our air suspension on our L model. Is it possible to convert over to coilovers? If so what brand would be recommended?
Thanks CL friends.
Old 03-15-12 | 08:51 AM
cheez80
Lexus Test Driver

Originally Posted by brmcvay
We are having issues with our air suspension on our L model. Is it possible to convert over to coilovers? If so what brand would be recommended?
Thanks CL friends.
may be more trouble than it's worth -- i do know that coilovers will physically fit, but i'm not sure what will happen with the electronics. my understanding is that the car is going to throw warning lights.

if you do decide to do it, BC, megan, JIC, largus, tanabe, aragosta, job design, aimgain, skipper, etc. all make coilovers for the car
Old 03-15-12 | 09:26 AM
Nat
Lexus Test Driver

What kind of problem are you having with the OEM air? Do you have the Data system?
Old 03-15-12 | 09:35 AM
Tee

Originally Posted by cheez80
may be more trouble than it's worth -- i do know that coilovers will physically fit, but i'm not sure what will happen with the electronics. my understanding is that the car is going to throw warning lights.

if you do decide to do it, BC, megan, JIC, largus, tanabe, aragosta, job design, aimgain, skipper, etc. all make coilovers for the car
Cheez80,

What brand do you reccomend, in what order far as build quality & ride comfort?
Old 03-15-12 | 10:39 AM
cheez80
Lexus Test Driver

Originally Posted by Tee
Cheez80,

What brand do you reccomend, in what order far as build quality & ride comfort?
tee, it depends on your budget. all of the coilovers will work and ride fairly well. it depends on what you want from your car, i guess.

the cheap stuff would be megan or bc (made in taiwan), lower mid range would be jic or tanabe or largus (i suspect jic and largus are made in taiwan too -- these are around 1800-3000). skipper looks like rebadged jic or similar. the rest are expensive: the job design uses bilstein shocks ($4-5k), aragosta is around $4k, etc.

if i were to go coilovers, i'd save my pennies for aragosta because AST USA can rebuild, service, and revalve the shocks. it's good to have service available in your country.
Old 03-15-12 | 10:46 AM
brmcvay
Rookie

Thank you very much for the reply. I wouldnt doubt warning lights would go crazy like you said. I was looking at the Megan Racing but couldnt find a concrete answer if they would fit the "L" model. Found many for the regular 460 models. Will these work for both.
Guys im not sure what is going on but the passenger rear bag is deflating itself completely when were driving at regular speeds like 30-40 mph and the 26" rim is buried in the fender rubbing. Scared us and ive read others have experienced this type thing. Just didnt want to invest all this money into new strut and suspension controllers ect. Looked like coilovers are around $1,000 but needed to be certain they would fit an L. ???
Old 03-15-12 | 10:49 AM
brmcvay
Rookie

tee, it depends on your budget. all of the coilovers will work and ride fairly well. it depends on what you want from your car, i guess.

the cheap stuff would be megan or bc (made in taiwan), lower mid range would be jic or tanabe or largus (i suspect jic and largus are made in taiwan too -- these are around 1800-3000). skipper looks like rebadged jic or similar. the rest are expensive: the job design uses bilstein shocks ($4-5k), aragosta is around $4k, etc.

if i were to go coilovers, i'd save my pennies for aragosta because AST USA can rebuild, service, and revalve the shocks. it's good to have service available in your country.
Maybe the Jic or Tanabe sound in my range
Do you have a dealer that you prefer / use? I really appreciate you guys help on this.
Old 03-15-12 | 11:15 AM
telmz1
Lead Lap

I'm curious about this too because I believe the cost to replace one air strut is more than $2k which is crazy considering you can get an entire set of coil overs for that.
Old 03-15-12 | 11:40 AM
cheez80
Lexus Test Driver

Maybe the Jic or Tanabe sound in my range
Do you have a dealer that you prefer / use? I really appreciate you guys help on this.
i don't think the former jic distributor in the US is still distributing jic, so you'd have to go overseas. tanabe has a us distributor, though -- www.more-japan.com
Old 03-15-12 | 11:52 AM
Tee

Thx for the fast input, this helps on what direction I will be taking.
Old 03-15-12 | 12:20 PM
brmcvay
Rookie

i don't think the former jic distributor in the US is still distributing jic, so you'd have to go overseas. tanabe has a us distributor, though -- www.more-japan.com
Are you against the Megan Racing coilovers? Poor quality? Just asking because they are quite a bit cheaper. Normally cheaper means... Well lol but thank you because this is just a pleasure cae and doesnt get much milage and the issue and cost of those factory struts are.. Whoa
Old 03-15-12 | 12:31 PM
cheez80
Lexus Test Driver

Are you against the Megan Racing coilovers? Poor quality? Just asking because they are quite a bit cheaper. Normally cheaper means... Well lol but thank you because this is just a pleasure cae and doesnt get much milage and the issue and cost of those factory struts are.. Whoa
the old adage about getting what you pay for is especially true in the car game, i think. the megans will work, but if i were looking for a budget coilover i'd look at the BC racings. i probably wouldn't rock such coilovers on my car, but that shouldn't affect how you mod your car.
Old 03-15-12 | 12:37 PM
brmcvay
Rookie

the old adage about getting what you pay for is especially true in the car game, i think. the megans will work, but if i were looking for a budget coilover i'd look at the BC racings. i probably wouldn't rock such coilovers on my car, but that shouldn't affect how you mod your car.
Ok advice takin! Thank you once again. Are you positive the BC Racing will fit the 07 L? I just ask because im a woman that knows very little about the mechanical side of things. Haha Also do you know of anyplace that sells the BC coilovers? Recommendations?
Old 03-15-12 | 12:58 PM
Tee

Ok advice takin! Thank you once again. Are you positive the BC Racing will fit the 07 L? I just ask because im a woman that knows very little about the mechanical side of things. Haha Also do you know of anyplace that sells the BC coilovers? Recommendations?
CL Vendor Circuit Motorsports located in FL too.

https://www.clublexus.com/forums/clu...extenders.html
Old 03-15-12 | 01:19 PM
CJITTY
Lead Lap

Hello, well with all the sensors involved with the air suspension and the difference of the 26" wheels with the 275/25/26 tire size you have is 13% larger than the overall diameter of the stock tire/wheel combination (appx 2" taller at the bottom and 2" taller at the top), there could be some damage occurring..especially at higher speeds. Some websites suggest going more than just 3% from the overall diameter, you could be risking brake failure due to unsprung weight, especially if you do not have upgraded brakes to handle the setup.

see attached screenshot for oem vs 26" tire specs.

I'm all about modding, so please don't take this the wrong way, but for driving on the street with this type of setup, you are really risking your safety with vehicle components failing..including suspension components.

If the car is mainly used at shows, you may want to think about a trailer to transport it.

Again, I commend you all for taking the steps to stand out, but if you plan on driving this car with this setup daily, you may want to consider some options to swap wheels out for shows and something the car can handle a little better while on the street.

Good luck, I hope it is something you can fix easily with low cost...I think you could swap out the suspension, but you may have warning lights I suppose if a/s components are missing
Attached Thumbnails Can a 460L be converted to coilovers?-26s.jpg  

Quick Reply: Can a 460L be converted to coilovers?