LS - 4th Gen (2007-2017) Discussion topics related to the current flagship models LS460, LS460L and LS600H

owners of LS460s dropped on coilovers I need your opinions

Search this Thread

Old 03-18-12, 05:51 PM
I8ABMR
Lexus Fanatic

Received 102 Likes on 67 Posts
Default owners of LS460s dropped on coilovers I need your opinions

I want to drop my LS sooner than later and I am leaning towards coil overs. I had Tein CST on my GS and I loved the adjustability , even drop on both sides, but I never raised or lowered my GS more than once to go lower by a little. In the past I have always had sagging with my aftermarket springs ( and my oem springs) but it seems like many of the current Tanabe owners have had no issues. Coilover owners if you had to do it again would you have gone with them again or would you just have gone with the springs?? What do think about the ride?? What set up are you running.??
Old 03-18-12, 06:45 PM
CJITTY
Lead Lap

Received 150 Likes on 112 Posts

This will be a good thread..hopefully folks will respond with solid details for various scenarios. I am also interested. I saw a video on youtube about how to adjust coilovers and it appeared that there is some work involved with measuring and stuff like that. I thought it was as easy as turning the collar with the wrench and there were indicators on the coilover to make it very easy to adjust on all 4 corners without measuring, etc...perhaps it was just that one video.

I love the comfort level of the Tanabe's but I wonder if coilovers would ride softer or stiffer than Tanabe's...the adjustability for dampening and height of coilovers seems very appealing....I really need an L with air and a controller lol
Old 03-18-12, 07:13 PM
datplayaz
Lexus Test Driver

Received 18 Likes on 3 Posts

I've always had coilovers on all of my previous cars, and in my opinion coilovers is always the better option then springs, because not only do you get to adjust to the height you like, but with most coilovers you can also adjust the dampening meaning you can choose a stiffer/softer ride. The reason why your car was sagging with the springs was because the stock struts is not meant to be lowered while the struts you get with a coilover kit is meant to be lowered.

IMO for a big car like the LS cup kit> air ride > coilovers > springs

Last edited by datplayaz; 03-18-12 at 07:18 PM.
Old 03-18-12, 08:28 PM
GSP David
Pole Position

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I think springs would be more comfortable than coilovers. My coilovers are decent but I cant get the dampening settings right. I play with them on the daily lol.
Old 03-18-12, 09:10 PM
I8ABMR
Lexus Fanatic

I know you have it set firm in the front and soft in the rear but I would recommend you to try the opposite. The rear should be a little stiffer than the front with a RWD platform. Manfufacturers go with the opposite because they want their cars to understeer in an emergency situation which helps to scrub speed and slow the vehicle down. With outr cars we are RWD and running staggered set up. This means that the car will handle poorly if we make the front stiffer. Its a recipe for plow and understeer. By going stiffer in the rear you induce oversteer but with a 295 width tire thats not likely to ever happen especially with street coilover set ups that are used for the LS. Try it and see what it feels like. If you want her to handle well try a 65% max firmness in front and 90% in the rear. I had the Tein CST with EDFC on my GS. All four corners had the same spring rate . This allowed me to change the feel of the car easiy. I found that the set up I described was the best. When you exit a corner that tail is going to want to swing and roll. You need to also help those wide and heavy 295s stay on the ground so a stiffer setup would be ideal,
Old 03-18-12, 09:38 PM
PRSUIT460
Racer

Received 13 Likes on 13 Posts

Originally Posted by datplayaz
The reason why your car was sagging with the springs was because the stock struts is not meant to be lowered while the struts you get with a coilover kit is meant to be lowered.
The struts don't have anything to do with sagging. They just dampen, not support the car.

To be honest if I were to do it again I'd put coil overs on my car. Someday I will switch over to coilovers. Coilovers will be more firm than the tanabes though.
Old 03-18-12, 09:50 PM
CJITTY
Lead Lap

Received 150 Likes on 112 Posts

With all the different spring on my cars whether suspension techniques, eibach, hr sport and now Tanabes, I have NEVER had any sagging issues..always a perfect drop all around with the rear of the car just a touch higher than front aka "raked" look..never an issue with sagging
Old 03-18-12, 10:00 PM
GSP David
Pole Position

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

ill try it!
Old 03-18-12, 10:09 PM
I8ABMR
Lexus Fanatic

With the 295s in the rear your car can be really stiff in the rear and will give you almost neutral handling. I used to feel in my GS that if the rear was softer than the front than it would roll to much as it followed the track of the front of the car on mid corner to corner exit. You can even tell the set up is good because when you start getting a little crazy in the car you will notice that the traction control light will come on a lot less
Old 05-02-12, 08:16 PM
Mr_LS460
Driver

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

this thread is def helping me decide wether to go coils or springs!!! ahh tuff decision!!
Old 05-02-12, 08:56 PM
bonafyd
Lexus Test Driver

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Coilovers>Springs anytime with coilovers you still have options with springs your stuck like chuck
Old 05-02-12, 11:38 PM
Shibumi1
Lexus Champion

Received 86 Likes on 62 Posts

i had springs on my Gs never had any issues.. but this time i decided to go a lil lower...so coilovers it is...if i decide its too low at any time i can raise it back up..no worries.. i 've heard all types of horror stories about coilovers..but i'll assume they were low end an mostly comin from civic an accord drivers (just stick with a quality company) an u should be fine..

i really do like the ability to adjust the firmness as my driving tastes lean more toward sport.. the oem suspension was waaaaaay too soft for me..now it drives like a totally different car..

i say coilovers....hands down
Old 05-03-12, 07:49 AM
G-SharK
Pole Position

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

I8ABMR - Keep us posted on what you decide on and if you like it or not.