LS - 4th Gen (2007-2017) Discussion topics related to the current flagship models LS460, LS460L and LS600H

Frequent Remote Battery Replacement

Search this Thread

Old 04-28-12, 01:39 PM
cardenje
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Frequent Remote Battery Replacement

Anyone else having to replace the CR1632 remote battery at least each four months or less? Is this another unique problem for the 2007 LS460L. Any comments or suggestions will be appreciated.
Old 04-28-12, 02:25 PM
jmcraney

Received 273 Likes on 207 Posts

The batteries typically last two years or more in normal service. What basis are you using to determine that your batteries are at the end of their life?
Old 04-28-12, 05:28 PM
I8ABMR
Lexus Fanatic

Received 102 Likes on 67 Posts

make sure they are fresh. I have also been told (because I had the same issue with my last cell phone) that some cell phones ,if placed very close to the key fob, can drain the battery of the key fob by stopping it from going into a sleep mode. So effectively the fob is constantly being drained and you battery goes. I got so frustrated I bought like 10 batteries in case it kept happening but it stopped when I got my iPhone. Its frustrating when you try to get into your car and your pulling on the handle with no effect as if you were trying to steal your own car. LOL
Old 04-30-12, 03:44 AM
cardenje
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

The doors will not open and it will not start. When I replace the battery, everything works again.
Old 04-30-12, 06:05 AM
jmcraney

Originally Posted by cardenje
The doors will not open and it will not start. When I replace the battery, everything works again.
I think you have done the right thing so far, batteries are inexpensive and changing them is easy. Since you are still having a problem it would be helpful to know if the battery is really dead and knowing that would help us know where to head next. The conventional way for determining if batteries are fully discharged is to measure their voltage with a voltmeter and that requires an accurately calibrated meter which is not available to everyone. On the Internet you can find several sources of tables that show voltage verses remaining charge. If the batteries are indeed discharged then that would leave us suspicious of the electronics in the remote key or the source of the batteries you are using for replacements. If the batteries are not really dead then we would have some different things to consider. If you don't have an easy way to measure the batteries or you don't have the skill to do that sort of thing, there are other ways we can go about this. Do you have two remote keys?
Old 05-01-12, 09:29 AM
edarte
Pole Position

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by I8ABMR
make sure they are fresh. I have also been told (because I had the same issue with my last cell phone) that some cell phones ,if placed very close to the key fob, can drain the battery of the key fob by stopping it from going into a sleep mode. So effectively the fob is constantly being drained and you battery goes. I got so frustrated I bought like 10 batteries in case it kept happening but it stopped when I got my iPhone. Its frustrating when you try to get into your car and your pulling on the handle with no effect as if you were trying to steal your own car. LOL
I have heard this as well. Perhaps some method of shielding the fob (e.g., put fob in foil envelop when fob left near phone overnight) will extend the battery life?

Last edited by edarte; 05-02-12 at 08:00 AM.
Old 05-01-12, 03:32 PM
jmcraney

I don't think putting the electronic key in a shielded package will extend the life of the battery. It is going to last a little over two years whether you use it or not. And it is very unlikely that some external device will shorten the life of the battery in the remote key. Just because the remote key fails to operate the doors or car and then starts working after you change the battery is no proof that the battery was dead. There are other explanations for that. The remote key generates a message "Low Key Battery" that appears on the dash when the battery is nearing the end of its life. It is certainly possible for the battery to fail in a manner that would cause you to miss that message however most of the time the message is there and when you get that message it is a true indication that the key battery is almost gone.