LS - 4th Gen (2007-2017) Discussion topics related to the current flagship models LS460, LS460L and LS600H

Regular Oil...confused

Search this Thread

Old 05-10-12, 07:04 PM
stas2007
Rookie

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Default Regular Oil...confused

Ok so I was under the assumption that my 2007 LS takes synthetic oil, however after my first oil change I found out that its regular oil ( "synthetic blend"- is dealers fancy way to say regular oil).
Now something here doesn't add up:
I am not a mechanic but have very good knowledge on cars and even taken up a few cars, from my knowledge you change regular oil every 3k mile, fully synthetic every 10k miles. So where do 5k miles intervals as dealer recommends come from if you use regular oil? I would believe that but also noticed that my car feels less smooth and powerful approaching 4k miles after oil change.

Personally I had great luck with synthetic royal purple, and my best friend mechanic only puts it in anything he has(including his 800hp lancer evo) Considering dealer oil change cost 70$ for regular oil; for that money I can buy fully synthetic RP oil with K&N filter at wallmart and DIY.

Does anyone else thinks that its strange that we have 5k intervals for regular oil?
The following users liked this post:
EazyLS460 (06-09-22)
Old 05-10-12, 10:08 PM
Mikey100
Lead Lap

Default The Lexus' Oil Viscosity Applicability and Change Interval Guide

Originally Posted by stas2007
Ok so I was under the assumption that my 2007 LS takes synthetic oil, however after my first oil change I found out that its regular oil ( "synthetic blend"- is dealers fancy way to say regular oil).
Now something here doesn't add up:
I am not a mechanic but have very good knowledge on cars and even taken up a few cars, from my knowledge you change regular oil every 3k mile, fully synthetic every 10k miles. So where do 5k miles intervals as dealer recommends come from if you use regular oil? I would believe that but also noticed that my car feels less smooth and powerful approaching 4k miles after oil change.

Personally I had great luck with synthetic royal purple, and my best friend mechanic only puts it in anything he has(including his 800hp lancer evo) Considering dealer oil change cost 70$ for regular oil; for that money I can buy fully synthetic RP oil with K&N filter at wallmart and DIY.

Does anyone else thinks that its strange that we have 5k intervals for regular oil?
You have asked a VERY good question, and unfortunately, there has been a fair amount of misinformation posted on Club Lexus about this subject. All you as an owner needs to know has been made available, but sometimes it's hard to discern. So let's try and break this down:

1) FIRST: Lexus RECOMMENDS 1) a certain oil TYPE and 2) a Viscosity and 3) An oil change interval (MILEAGE, not time).

2) SECOND: An owner can do WHATEVER he or she pleases, as long as it does not interfere with LEXUS WARRANTY. What do I mean ? Your vehicle may have a LEXUS CPO warranty of 1000,000 miles/3 years. In that case, IF you ever experience an engine issue, during this warranty period (mileage or time) you should be prepared to demonstrate to Lexus that you, as the vehicle's owner, that you followed the Lexus' recommended guidelines - IF (and only if) you wish for "Lexus warranty" to cover the repair.

Now, let's assume you Lexus came with a standard 2012 Lexus Factory Warranty of 48,000 miles or 5 years. And you now have 55,000 miles on your LS. Oil changes? Well, do whatever you wish and think is best for your vehicle.

THIRD: WHAT DOES LEXUS STATE, in their own WORDS, is their OIL RECOMMENDATION ?
You should use EITHER viscosity of 0W-20 OR 5W-20, in ANY "type" of oil. They do feel as though SYNTHETIC OIL provides certain benefits; however, it is NOT REQUIRED WHATSOEVER for ANY LS460 vehicle in the U.S. This is DOCUMENTED in two (2) important places: 1) Your Owner's Manual ..... and 2) The Lexus' "Oil Viscosity Applicability and Change Interval Guide - Tech Tip L-TT-0001-10," Dated Sept 2011. A copy of which IS attached.

FOURTH: Lexus' oil has virtually always been of a "synthetic blend" type. Many people feel, after extensive testing, that "Synthetic blend' oils provide LITTLE real-world benefits over a SYNTHETIC OIL type. Vehicle customers who do not understand oil types "feel comfortable" when their Lexus Service Adviser tells them (and believe me, I have asked a LOT of dealers in many states about this) that they are using "LEXUS' BRAND SYNTHETIC BLEND OIL in their LS during an oil change. I am NOT saying YOUR dealer or Service Adviser does this, but a fair amount of dealers do, and their customers feel as though they are "getting the best" because they are receiving Lexus oil and it's SYNTHETIC BLEND,. WHOPPEE ! Yessir ........ Lexus is now in the 'oil biziness' because we are here to care for your well-being. It's like SeaDoo dealers charging $ 14.95 a QUART ! (Yes.....right now !) for AUTHENTIC SEADOO-MANUFACTURED Synthetic Blend oil for their Jetskiis ! Yup ........... Bombardier Recreational Products is now drilling for and refining oil for YOUR protection !

FIFTH: Interestingly, please notice Lexus DOES NOT specify a Time Frame of oil Changes. In comparison, Merc Benz for one of my vehicles requires (during a warranty period) that the oil be changed at least every 10,000 miles OR once a year ! Again, for whatever reason, Lexus does NOT recommend any TIME period - only mileage. At least not in documentation I have seen.

So, let's summarize: You can do whatever you wish, as to oil types, and viscosities, as long as you do not expect, want, wish for, etc any sort of engine-related Warranty Coverage to be applied, if necessary, to your Lexus LS460. This issue is WARRANTY COVERAGE. Of course, applying common sense also helps in matters like these. But it is all up to you.

Lastly, a LEXUS dealer DOES NOT have to perform the oil changes. ONLY if you ever experience a Warranty-related issue arises must you document that the oil changes were performed in accordance with Lexus' factory recommendations.

And if you really want to learn some interesting things, RESEARCH MOBIL 1 SYNTHETIC OIL sold in the UNITED STATES. Then you'll really have an eye-opening item ! If you want the short version, WITHOUT details, MOBIL 1 sold in the US and MOBIL 1 sold in EUROPE are NOT the same "Type" of oil ... and we'll let it go at that. A subject for a different thread some other time.

And please note: MANY Lexus' Service Advisers, for whatever reason(s), tell their customers the WRONG oil type "is required," (ie, that the "CORRECT" oil viscosity IS 0W-20 - It's NOT ....... It's EITHER 0W-20 OR 5W-20 !) as well as telling them that Lexus recommends SYNTHETIC oil in an LS460. WRONG !!!!

Stas and others - Simply apply your God-given common-sense to this subject here, and you'll be just fine. Do take a quick second and review the attached document. And good luck to you. If I can assist any further, please PM me. Always remember 1 thing: "NEVER LET FACTS GET IN THE WAY OF A GOOD STORY !" LOL.

Mikey Lulejian - Lake Oconee, GA
Attached Files
File Type: pdf
Lexus' Oil Change Intervals.pdf (88.4 KB, 903 views)

Last edited by Mikey100; 05-11-12 at 11:45 PM.
Old 05-11-12, 04:21 PM
Valley101
Lead Lap

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Default Oil

I have a 2012 LS and it was purchased from an Elite Lexus Dealer, whom I have done business with the past few years. Even though the warranty book still states oil changes at 5000, they say the the manufacturer recommends 10,000 miles or 1 year and use synthetic oil. They still say the other things to be checked on at the 5000 intervals as stated in the manual should be done. My 5000 mile and first 10,000 mile intervals are free and it will document what I was told by the dealer, as I will have both done there with the documentation.
Old 05-11-12, 06:39 PM
Mikey100
Lead Lap

Originally Posted by Valley101
I have a 2012 LS and it was purchased from an Elite Lexus Dealer, whom I have done business with the past few years. Even though the warranty book still states oil changes at 5000, they say the the manufacturer recommends 10,000 miles or 1 year and use synthetic oil. They still say the other things to be checked on at the 5000 intervals as stated in the manual should be done. My 5000 mile and first 10,000 mile intervals are free and it will document what I was told by the dealer, as I will have both done there with the documentation.
Maybe you should print out the attached LEXUS OFFICIAL DOCUMENTATION I attached above, dated Sept 2012, and show it to your Service Adviser (ie, "Lexus' "Oil Viscosity Applicability and Change Interval Guide - Tech Tip L-TT-0001-10," Dated Sept 2011). This documentation came from the automobile manufacturer itself, whom is the final determination in any warranty claim.

Just a thought. Again, never let FACTS get in the way of any good story.

My Best Wishes, Mikey Lulejian - Lake Oconee, GA

Last edited by Mikey100; 05-11-12 at 09:30 PM.
Old 05-11-12, 06:52 PM
warminwisc
Lexus Champion

Received 31 Likes on 28 Posts

JMO Any synthetic is better than the best dino oil I drive 30k a year. Good luck and worth using. JMo
Old 05-11-12, 08:43 PM
Valley101
Lead Lap

Default Oil Change

The statement I made above about oil change intervals was just changed about three months ago. So I guess I will find out at the 5000 mile interval. This was told to me by the Service Manager, not one of the service advisors.
Old 05-11-12, 09:45 PM
Mikey100
Lead Lap

The statement I made above about oil change intervals was just changed about three months ago. So I guess I will find out at the 5000 mile interval. This was told to me by the Service Manager, not one of the service advisors.
You might wish to help all of us and ask the Dealership to provide you with a copy of this "change" in writing, so that you might share it with all of us. To date, no one has been able to provide such a document, but we anxiously await your update.

Many Thanks, in advance, Mikey Lulejian - Lake Oconee, GA
Old 05-12-12, 06:48 AM
Valley101
Lead Lap

Default Oil Change Intervals

I contacted the service dept this A.M. They stated the LS is every 5000 miles. About half of their engines do 10,000 and the others 5000. Stated someone misquoted the wrong data. This was a service advisor so I did not want to tell him it was his boss who made the misquote. Oh well, at least the first is free and they threw in the 10,000 for free also. So I will not need to spend any money on service until the 15,000 or 18 month mark.
Old 05-12-12, 01:57 PM
Mikey100
Lead Lap

I contacted the service dept this A.M. They stated the LS is every 5000 miles. About half of their engines do 10,000 and the others 5000. Stated someone misquoted the wrong data. This was a service advisor so I did not want to tell him it was his boss who made the misquote. Oh well, at least the first is free and they threw in the 10,000 for free also. So I will not need to spend any money on service until the 15,000 or 18 month mark.
Valley: Congrats on your free oil services.

Many thanks for helping others to realize the ONLY Official word is LEXUS' prepared documentation. I am sure many will benefit from your post. The Lexus' "Oil Viscosity Applicability and Change Interval Guide - Tech Tip L-TT-0001-10," Dated Sept 2011 is our manufacturer's OFFICIAL word. But again ...... if ya wanna "gamble" because it's your money, and/or your LS460 is out of the Factory Warranty period, then none of this really matters.

I for one appreciate your taking the time to check and then post this response. I feel sure others have been helped by your Kind Act.

Sincere Best Wishes, Mikey Lulejian - Lake Oconee, GA