LS - 4th Gen (2007-2017) Discussion topics related to the current flagship models LS460, LS460L and LS600H

Need Inspection: Phoenix LS460

Search this Thread

Old 05-25-12, 11:27 AM
mk4umha
Pit Crew

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Need Inspection: Phoenix LS460

I'm in the market for an LS460L and found one in Phoenix with the Exterior/Interior/Option that i was looking for. If anyone has time and doesn't mind to come take a look at this car and to check that it's not a lemon, let me know. PM me, thanks!
Old 05-25-12, 11:54 AM
09LS460
Rookie

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Others may say otherwise, but I would never buy this type of car sight unseen unless you were talking a brand new vehicle.

I thought about it, but you really need some butt in drivers seat time to get the proper feel for the car IMO....

and holy ****....member for 8 years and only 48 posts? get your lurk on, right? ha......
Old 05-25-12, 12:02 PM
mk4umha
Pit Crew

LOL, yea, I lurk alot.

I am not going to buy it sight unseen myself but it would help if someone local saw it first, then tells me it's worth my time to fly down and check it out personally. I don't want to deal with salesmen telling how good the car is get the finances ready, fly down only to find out it's a POS.

How do you like your LS460?
Old 05-25-12, 12:22 PM
09LS460
Rookie

overall, love it......

In the 3.5 weeks I've had it , I've had it in the shop a few times to check on things that didn't feel quite right and I'm about $6k in repairs (all covered by CPO warranty).

I figure that if anything so much as slightly feels not quite right, I'm going to have the dealership look it over while it's in the warranty period because I'd flip if I had a $6k repair bill on a car.....lol
Old 05-25-12, 12:31 PM
mk4umha
Pit Crew

What sort of repairs? don't scare me.
Old 05-25-12, 12:43 PM
09LS460
Rookie

Mine's an AWD and the front struts were bad so they're replacing the actuators and struts, I was getting my windows tinted and the tinters noticed that the laminated factory tint was yellowing down the middle of the 2 panes of glass so they had to replace the 2 front windows, then I also had my brake actuator replaced due to a ticking sound (there's a service bulletin on this, so a known issue by Lexus).

Regarding the struts, ya know when you run into concrete that has shed a top layer so the concrete isn't smooth? Going over that in this car i felt it a LOT more than I should have (my older Honda was much more solid feeling) so they found that the struts were going back and needed to be replaced.

My car had just over 48k miles on it when I got it, so up to 50 they're covering everything under that warranty, but I believe everything up to this point would have been covered under the CPO warranty as well.

I just replaced the tires as the ones that were on it were wearing badly on the inside edge, and since they have to replace the struts, they'll be doing an alignment on the car so once all that is said and done it will be happy days.....
Old 05-25-12, 01:30 PM
LexBob2
Lexus Champion

Received 139 Likes on 113 Posts

Originally Posted by 09LS460
overall, love it......

In the 3.5 weeks I've had it , I've had it in the shop a few times to check on things that didn't feel quite right and I'm about $6k in repairs (all covered by CPO warranty).

I figure that if anything so much as slightly feels not quite right, I'm going to have the dealership look it over while it's in the warranty period because I'd flip if I had a $6k repair bill on a car.....lol
In the shop a few times in 3.5 weeks! That doesn't inspire much confidence in the CPO process!
Old 05-25-12, 01:31 PM
mk4umha
Pit Crew

It sounds like I should only buy a CPO LS460 or just stick to the LS430.
Old 05-25-12, 01:44 PM
mk4umha
Pit Crew

Does your car have the air ride suspension?
Old 05-25-12, 02:04 PM
PRSUIT460
Racer

Received 13 Likes on 13 Posts

I would buy a CPO if that's an option. I have the platinum plus warranty on my LS460 so I am not worried. They are very reliable cars, unless you have that air suspension.
Old 05-25-12, 02:17 PM
mk4umha
Pit Crew

Is the platinum plus warranty from Lexus? Is it possible to get that warranty even if I don't buy from Lexus?
Old 05-25-12, 02:21 PM
mk4umha
Pit Crew

Originally Posted by PRSUIT460
I would buy a CPO if that's an option. I have the platinum plus warranty on my LS460 so I am not worried. They are very reliable cars, unless you have that air suspension.
Every time I see an LS460 with wheels and suspension like yours i want to buy one, but i'm just afraid of buying it without warranty from non Lexus dealers.

BTW, what size wheels/tires/suspension are you running?

What size Brembo brakes?
Old 05-25-12, 02:22 PM
JFNash
Lead Lap

Received 11 Likes on 10 Posts

automobileinspections.com inspected my car before I bought it.

I wasn't even in the US when I bought it. I relied on their report which gave me all the info I needed to make a decision that I never regretted.
Old 05-25-12, 02:40 PM
09LS460
Rookie

Originally Posted by LexBob2
In the shop a few times in 3.5 weeks! That doesn't inspire much confidence in the CPO process!
I'm being picky as hell about the car because I can to be honest, and the repeat visit is due to parts that had to be ordered and were not immediately available.

I personally wouldn't buy this car used without a warranty. Regular upkeep maintenance costs alone can run up the bill, and I sure the hell do not ever want to be out of pocket for repairs in the several G numbers.....I do have the air suspension since I have the AWD.

I think part of the problem was the dealership that I bought it from wasn't the type that looks to make a car 100% before they sell it, and many of the items that have been found are the types of things that show up in daily driving, not in a test drive (regardless of length). The service tech at my local dealership said most used car managers look at the cars like any expense is out of their pocket when it's all covered by the company, so he doesn't get it, but I can see the thought process.

In retrospect, I probably will not buy another out of state vehicle like this again as I don't feel like the service supports the process. My local tech has been great to work with and I haven't had a negative experience with the local people. I really didn't have a problem with the sales person that I bought the car from, but the overall experience left me lacking......

Is it likely that the particular dealership I worked with was the issue, sure, but I don't want to be looking at the complete opposite coast to work with a dealership.......maybe that changes in the future, maybe it doesn't.
Old 05-25-12, 02:40 PM
I8ABMR
Lexus Fanatic

Received 102 Likes on 67 Posts

I bought mine with factory warranty left but I got it from an Infiniti dealership. I did my homework and read up on all of the issues and got them all addressed over the first 4 months. In the end the cars are reliable and great to drive but there is no such thing as a perfect car. I find the that the service quality is excellent but I would not own an LS or any high end car with no warranty. The extended warranty is a good idea but you can only get it through Lexus if the factory warranty still exists

Quick Reply: Need Inspection: Phoenix LS460