LS - 4th Gen (2007-2017) Discussion topics related to the current flagship models LS460, LS460L and LS600H

Questions On Custom Wheels

Search this Thread

Old 06-04-12, 05:10 AM
LS430black
Pole Position

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Questions On Custom Wheels

I'm thinking about changing to 20" wheels and have visited some threads. But since I'm very new to changing wheel size, there are some points I'm refused:
1. In the Wheels and Tires thread, I don't know why members have to mention the offset? What role does it play?
2. For those who ride on 20" or above, why do they need to choose wider rear wheels while the front ones are thinner? Why not all same size? What happen if I go with 4 same wheel sizes?
3. For 20" wheels, do we need to change anything in the wheel area?
4. For the TPMS, what do we have to do after plugging in the new wheels?
5. What is the best size for the best comfort when it comes to 20" wheels for LS460?
Thank you very much.
Old 06-04-12, 06:23 AM
GregCon
Driver

Received 12 Likes on 7 Posts

Offset is everything when it comes to fit - that is why it is mentioned. Same for smaller in front and bigger in back - you can fit more in back. It's all in an effort to avoid the dreaded rubbing that will occur if you get it wrong just a little.
Old 06-04-12, 07:16 AM
Falbz
Pole Position

Received 11 Likes on 8 Posts

20" wheels with the right offset will fit with no issues on our car. I suggest going with 22" wheels as they fill up the wheel well much nicer and they do not give up any drive ability.

Whatever size you end up going with all you have to do is move the TPMS sensors from your oem wheels to the new set and you will be good to go.
Old 06-04-12, 07:49 AM
LS430black
Pole Position

22" wheels do look nice but the ride is too harsh which may not fit the roads in my place, they are filled with holes, riding on these wheels would be a pain, that's a pity! And how abt the different wheel width? Can I go with 4 same wheel sizes?
Old 06-04-12, 09:49 AM
lbintab
Lexus Test Driver

Received 18 Likes on 18 Posts

Originally Posted by LS430black
22" wheels do look nice but the ride is too harsh which may not fit the roads in my place, they are filled with holes, riding on these wheels would be a pain, that's a pity! And how abt the different wheel width? Can I go with 4 same wheel sizes?
you can go with the same size wheel front and wheel. It's just a better look to go staggered. You'd be limited on the width for your rear wheels based on the widest you can go on the front wheels. When you move the tpms sensors you should buy rebuild kits from lexus. it replaces the washers so it'll hold air better...or more so less likely to leak.
Old 06-04-12, 10:39 AM
CJITTY
Lead Lap

Received 150 Likes on 112 Posts

Have you all taken a look at this sticky thread which is posted at the top of the LS460/600 Forum page? It is designed to show you what folks are running as far as wheel and tire setups including pictures. https://www.clublexus.com/forums/ls4...ls-thread.html

EDIT: I see the OP has checked it out, which is great!

I also highly recommending going to tirerack.com and look at all the articles about wheels and tires and what all the terms like offset, tire size info etc mean before you venture down the road of wheels and tires. You MUST put in some work and research this topic. Luckily, there are threads already on CL to help you with all this, but you have to put in some work and and search..all of the info is there and endless threads on wheels. Here is a link to tireracks tire/wheel tech page to help you get started http://www.tirerack.com/wheels/tech/index.jsp Short answer is offset determines how the wheel sits..further in our out of the fenderwell, but these articles are very valuable. You also need to look at Plus Sizing..when upgrading to bigger wheels, you gain in wheel diameter and you have to get tires that match up to keep the overall diameter the same as the stock tire/wheel combo..in most cases. Staggered tire sizes achieves a better visual look (wider in rear than in front), plus it has some performance gains with RWD cars. Again, there are pros and cons.

Another option is using the power of google to find exactly what you need. For example, go to Google and type "clublexus.com 460 (insert topic here)"

So, if you want to learn about wheel threads posted in the LS460 forum, you would enter this as your search "clublexus.com 460 offset" or "clublexus.com 460 wheels" or "clublexus.com 460 TPMS" or "clublexus.com 460 stagger" give it a try and I promise, you should be able to fill up at least an hour of two of worthwhile posts to read

Last edited by CJITTY; 06-04-12 at 10:50 AM.
Old 06-04-12, 11:17 AM
cheez80
Lexus Test Driver

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

i think the compromise would be 21" diameter wheels -- brian and i are going to be running this size. a ton of cars in japan are running this size too
Old 06-04-12, 10:20 PM
LS430black
Pole Position

Just visited those websites you guys have shown me, really helpful, never know the term "Staggered wheels".. Thanks a lot. I'll decide to go with 20" or 21" real soon.
Old 06-05-12, 09:55 AM
Mikey100
Lead Lap

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Just visited those websites you guys have shown me, really helpful, never know the term "Staggered wheels".. Thanks a lot. I'll decide to go with 20" or 21" real soon.
If RIDE QUALITY is an issue ................. disregard all of the "helpful advice" being provided and stay with 20" MAXIMIUM. Sometimes this can be simply as important in the long run as to whether you impress some never-to-seen-again-guy at a stop light.

RIDE QUALITY = 20" (MAXIMUM.) -

Always happy to help out with Quality stuff ........... LOL !
Mike Lulejian - Lake Oconee, GA
Old 06-05-12, 02:54 PM
LS430black
Pole Position

Yes, I very prioritize the ride quality, I'm currently running on 19" factory wheels, so it would be perfect to have 20" since there is only 1" increase. I currently like the HRE P93L, here it is:

And my car after PTS:

After contacting for the price, the dealer told me it was 1900$ for a 20" rim, then I'll have to pay around 10k for a whole set, including the tires. Man, that just hurts so badly.
Old 06-05-12, 03:29 PM
cheez80
Lexus Test Driver

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Yes, I very prioritize the ride quality, I'm currently running on 19" factory wheels, so it would be perfect to have 20" since there is only 1" increase. I currently like the HRE P93L, here it is:

And my car after PTS:

After contacting for the price, the dealer told me it was 1900$ for a 20" rim, then I'll have to pay around 10k for a whole set, including the tires. Man, that just hurts so badly.
that's a 22x10 22x11 setup on the VIP auto salon car -- it's not going to happen unless you're willing to do some light fender work (that car has rolled or shaved fenders and a slight pull i think)
Old 06-05-12, 03:33 PM
LS430black
Pole Position

Yes, I know, but the wheels are also available in 20". The price for the 22" set is higher than 1900$ each wheel.
Old 06-05-12, 04:49 PM
CJITTY
Lead Lap

Received 150 Likes on 112 Posts

If you want a wheel designed exclusively for the LS460..check out the Lumarai Morro. It comes in 20" and has the correct offset, 60.1mm factory size hub bore (no hub rings) and uses factory center caps. It is a nice upgrade if you like 20s. Check out my build thread for pics. I had them initially then went up to 22", which is not available in that brand. They run about $250 per wheel. They are available in staggered fitment also. Tons of optons out there for you. Looks like you have deep pockets so you have endless possibilities;-)
Old 06-05-12, 04:51 PM
datplayaz
Lexus Test Driver

Received 18 Likes on 3 Posts

HRE's are not cheap.
Old 06-05-12, 06:15 PM
LS430black
Pole Position

@CJITTY: I checked yours at the very beginning because you had the first post in the "Wheel Information" thread, then I visited Lumarai website and many others, but I only fell for the HRE set since it looks really solid. Anyway, I'm not in a rush, I'll go see some more wheels until I feel 10k is worth the set, I still have some small mods to do before coming to this.
P.S: The HRE dealer told me that the 20" set will fit straight into my LS, I only needed to change the tires and suggested 20x9.0 on 4 wheels. How do you feel about that? And BTW, what is the proper offset for 20" LS460? I see many members has 30-35mm. Here are his messages:

Quick Reply: Questions On Custom Wheels