LS - 4th Gen (2007-2017) Discussion topics related to the current flagship models LS460, LS460L and LS600H

Do any updates improve the operation...?

Search this Thread

Old 06-05-12, 02:57 PM
WhitBaby
Lead Lap

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Do any updates improve the operation...?

Do any Nav updates improve the operation or just add the occasional road change or advertising to spend your $$?

I've gone through the book ('08 LS460) many times and still can't get any consistent, successful outcomes.

I punch in the destination addresses then get the 8 pointed compass rose and no 'enter' or 'go' to start the route, it just hangs. Upon starting the drive no voice prompts or screen info.

Wish to hell they'd gone to Garmin to learn some form of logic. This POS is, by-far, the LEAST intuitive Nav system I've ever used!

Whit
Old 06-05-12, 04:03 PM
Mikey100
Lead Lap

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by WhitBaby
Do any Nav updates improve the operation or just add the occasional road change or advertising to spend your $$?

I've gone through the book ('08 LS460) many times and still can't get any consistent, successful outcomes.

I punch in the destination addresses then get the 8 pointed compass rose and no 'enter' or 'go' to start the route, it just hangs. Upon starting the drive no voice prompts or screen info.

Wish to hell they'd gone to Garmin to learn some form of logic. This POS is, by-far, the LEAST intuitive Nav system I've ever used!

Whit
Whit: Good points and you asked an excellent question. However, this subject has been covered already in much copious detail. Succinctly, the "system" was designed back in 2003 or so. More importantly: Map updates are just that - nothing more. They are NOT system upgrades (as to functionality and operation).

I suggest you do a search on this subject, to save another firestorm here. However, you'll be pleased to know your disgust has already been noted herein by possibly several thousand LS owners. Don't despair ...... You can always anxiously await the 2014 LS and then spend $100K to get a system engineered in 2010. Things ARE getting better. LOL. Trying to make you laugh .......because the LS460 system IS a "laughing matter."

Here's a thread I started which might help you realize how hopeless this subject is ......LOL !@

https://www.clublexus.com/forums/ls4...and-costs.html

Enjoy your day, Whit ........ Mikey Lulejian - Going flyfishing in Arkansas
Old 06-05-12, 05:19 PM
CJITTY
Lead Lap

Received 150 Likes on 112 Posts

Besides the removal of the nag screen...nothing but roads. The 2010 and up have a better setup
Old 06-05-12, 06:23 PM
FLDJM
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by CJITTY
Besides the removal of the nag screen...nothing but roads. The 2010 and up have a better setup
To clarify software 10.1 and up doesnt have the nag screen. My model year 2010 LS 460 has version 9.1 software on it and has the NAG screen. When I was searching and reading posts I often saw if its newer then 2010 no problems, but I at the time a non lexus owner thought that they meant model year of car not software version. Since my car is a MY 2010 and has software 9.1 I can only presume that a large number if not all 2010 MY owners have it as well. So when searching you need map upgrade 10.1 or greater which would probably be found in model year 2011 ls 460"s
Old 06-06-12, 04:42 AM
jmcraney

Received 273 Likes on 207 Posts

Originally Posted by WhitBaby

Whit
Welcome back Whit, haven't seen you in the discussions for a long time.

I still have my '07 LS460 that I bought new. It came with the nav-version that required the "I Agree" operation at startup. I found that very objectionable and I updated to V8.1 (does not require "I Agree") about 3 years ago. It doesn't have some of the newest roads. Although many owners don't like the Lexus Nav System, I find it very useful and easy to use. I don't have the "override" but I am able to enter destinations while the car is in motion. Although the system is not a Garmin, it seems pretty well designed for an integrated system. When I observe the systems that are integrated into my friends American and European cars, my Lexus/Toyota products seem to have many advantages for me.

I have a 2011 Toyota Sienna with an integrated nav package and it is very much like my '07 LS460, so I don't think the you should expect much change in operation characteristics from any updates.
Old 06-06-12, 09:35 AM
cheez80
Lexus Test Driver

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by jmcraney

I still have my '07 LS460 that I bought new. It came with the nav-version that required the "I Agree" operation at startup. I found that very objectionable and I updated to V8.1 (does not require "I Agree") about 3 years ago. It doesn't have some of the newest roads. Although many owners don't like the Lexus Nav System, I find it very useful and easy to use. I don't have the "override" but I am able to enter destinations while the car is in motion. Although the system is not a Garmin, it seems pretty well designed for an integrated system. When I observe the systems that are integrated into my friends American and European cars, my Lexus/Toyota products seem to have many advantages for me.

I have a 2011 Toyota Sienna with an integrated nav package and it is very much like my '07 LS460, so I don't think the you should expect much change in operation characteristics from any updates.
i agree with jmcraney -- the nav in my 2008 (with 10.1) is much better than the nav in either the 2011 mercedes s-class or the 2007 audi a8, or even pioneer's z130bt aftermarket head unit. the ones in the german cars are close to worthless.
Old 06-06-12, 01:00 PM
WhitBaby
Lead Lap

Originally Posted by jmcraney

I check in pretty much every day, haven't had anything to contribute as '08 LS is running fine. I just forget how bad the Nav is until I do a trip, which I just did.

I'm taking another trip in a few weeks and you can bet my Garmin Zumo 550 will be stuck on the dash. Its hell to be stupid but the Zumo and Kenwood aftermarket unit I installed in my '09 Tacoma are light-years better than the sorry LS effort and I don't have to screw around with 'regions' etc.

I never could do anything nav-wise if I was rolling over 10-15 MPH however I can play with scanning Satellite channels, AM, FM, Climate, etc., to my heart's content while moving...just another example of a flawed logic priority.

Whit
Old 06-06-12, 06:22 PM
cheez80
Lexus Test Driver

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

jesus christ, i just drove the 2011 s-class around town today and used the COMAND nav. it was horrible. arrrgh
Old 06-06-12, 11:11 PM
lexuspower
Rookie

How do you check the version of the installed navi in a LS?
Old 06-07-12, 06:48 AM
jmcraney

Received 273 Likes on 207 Posts

Originally Posted by lexuspower
How do you check the version of the installed navi in a LS?
On the '07 you do it like this:

Momentarily depress the "Menu" key on the dash. That's the lower key in the right cluster.

Touch the "HDD" soft key in the upper right corner on the touch screen.
Old 06-07-12, 07:08 AM
Mikey100
Lead Lap

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Ya know ....... being in Memphis eating REAL Bar-Bee-Kew and gettin' ready to go fishing .......

Allows one CLARITY OF THOUGHT !!!

BASS CATCHING (not "bass fishing") is one H*ll-of-a-va lot EASIER than operating the Lexus LS460 NAV system !!! -

Y'all play nicely now in the sandbox !!!

Mikey Lulejian - Memphis headed towards a lake in Arkansas
Old 06-07-12, 09:14 AM
joedaddy1
Racer

Received 192 Likes on 149 Posts

i have no problems with the NAV system.. you just have to be a bit open-minded.

come on.. no car can be perfect.. and after trying out the NAV systems from at LEAST 5 other car companies., each system has their pros/cons..
Old 06-07-12, 12:41 PM
WhitBaby
Lead Lap

Originally Posted by joedaddy1
i have no problems with the NAV system.. you just have to be a bit open-minded.

come on.. no car can be perfect.. and after trying out the NAV systems from at LEAST 5 other car companies., each system has their pros/cons..
Hell, I'm open minded, I haven't put my foot through it yet... ;->

For $70K+ it should be one hell of a lot more 'perfect' than it is.

Old 06-07-12, 07:27 PM
MarkGS
Rookie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I'm on my 3rd Lexus model with the Nav system (2 GS and currently a new LS). I never had much to complain about with any of the Nav's systems. I understand the complaints expressed in this thread, but personally just never found them that annoying.

My 2nd gen GS was the first I owned with Nav. And that was after looking at other competing models. At the time, the Audi nav system on the A6 was laughable in comparison.

And I have to say I'm really enjoying Destination Assist. Its even good just to get a phone number sent to your Nav for a restaurant or other similar business. You can pull up the business info from what Destination Assist sends to you and have the phone number dialed while driving.

Technology packages will forever be evolving and attracting me to my next car purchase......