LS - 4th Gen (2007-2017) Discussion topics related to the current flagship models LS460, LS460L and LS600H

Official 2013 Lexus LS460/460L/600hL & F-Sport thread

Search this Thread

Old 07-31-12, 08:52 AM
ST430
Pole Position

Received 127 Likes on 68 Posts

Originally Posted by rominl
i want the ls to head in the gs direction, but that doesn't mean make it so alike. there could be improvements and make it above the gs.

in some way, face it, the gs and ls look similar now. good or bad? i will leave that to those who complain about bmw and audi. i personally have no problem, but i am just stating it's different from what lexus had before

that's pretty much where it ends, a serious refresh. it's still the same chassis but with tons of improvements, something a few of us have mentioned countless times before.

definitely great effort on redoing an existing platform and great results.
Completely agree with your assessment! The refresh is a nice update, but the LS has always been pretty conservative and now the distinction between the GS and LS is much more ambiguous (at least in looks). These spindle grill updates has me curious if we are going to see FI in the future, since the wide mouth design (a la R35 GTR / EVO X) is usually to add a nice intercooler in front. Let's hope the next big update is in the powertrain area so they remain competitive with the competition.
Old 07-31-12, 09:03 AM
Brian@Vossen
Former Sponsor

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

The size difference between the GS and LS is staggering. The GS is around 190 inches long, the LS 200-205 inches long. The LS front end is even more bold and expressive than the GS especially since the LS has a full chrome frame and the center bar is NOT painted body color.
Old 07-31-12, 09:14 AM
Tee

Received 67 Likes on 56 Posts

I can't wait to see more vids of the new LS in motion and getting the '2013 Lexus LS Launch Event' invite from my dealer! I really want to see it in person, sometimes pics can't convey the real thing.
Old 07-31-12, 09:39 AM
PrinceAkim
Pole Position

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by Allen K
I like it! Few too many buttons on the steering wheel though
I was thinking the same thing.
Old 07-31-12, 09:40 AM
GS3Tek

Received 165 Likes on 126 Posts

Originally Posted by CJITTY
Sorry, but wheels are a fail. 20s for non F sport, 21s for F sport would of been a good look
What other car luxobarge makers have oem wheels bigger than 20", besides the Karma?
S65 and 7series sport wheels come in 19". You can get the AC schnitzer in 21".

Originally Posted by John_R
Well if it makes you feel better you can always look at the new Mercedes S-Class Interior, which is far worse and cheaper looking then the LS.

By cheaper I mean it has no design flow, has the vents of a Bentley or Rolls Royce mixed with the tach and speedometer of an the Audi A8 / VW Phateon parts bin, and the steering wheel of an 80's Buick. car.
I agree.
That new S class interior is downright disgusting and almost insulting

I guess I'm in the minority here b/c I like this new LS (much more than the GS).
Old 07-31-12, 09:43 AM
spwolf
Lexus Champion

Received 161 Likes on 119 Posts

this is the only video and it when running, car looks pretty good... very different than before.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-4ZAV...tailpage#t=91s
Old 07-31-12, 09:54 AM
ikeb
Driver

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

i was hoping to upgrade to the 2013 LS460 from my 2010 LS460 - but based on the info, i see no need to upgrade to this moderate refresh.

Not enough new or exciting features

I'm a little disapointed in the 2013
Old 07-31-12, 10:04 AM
natnut
Pole Position

Received 88 Likes on 53 Posts

Well if it makes you feel better you can always look at the new Mercedes S-Class Interior, which is far worse and cheaper looking then the LS.

By cheaper I mean it has no design flow, has the vents of a Bentley or Rolls Royce mixed with the tach and speedometer of an the Audi A8 / VW Phateon parts bin, and the steering wheel of an 80's Buick. car.

OMG, the new S-class interior can't even beat the current GS interior let alone the new LS refresh. If this is what MB has in store for the new S, well....they better get back to the drawing board ASAP.

EDIT : Just wanted to add that the LS F-Sport interior is beautiful, I wish they had that aluminium treatment for the GS F-Sport....

Last edited by natnut; 07-31-12 at 10:11 AM.
Old 07-31-12, 10:07 AM
Joe Z
Lexus Fanatic

Received 1,064 Likes on 586 Posts
Lightbulb

I Love how Downtown Los Angeles is being heavily used by Lexus lately...

The lastest new RX & ES spots have captured L.A. as well..

.. and now the new MY13 LS

First Official Lexus Video of the MY13 Lexus LS

~ Joe Z
Old 07-31-12, 10:18 AM
rominl
exclusive matchup

Received 190 Likes on 148 Posts

Originally Posted by Joe Z
I missed the debut, was busy wrenching on MY IS-F last night...

I like it...!!!!

Overall the refresh is extensive and it's a good direction..

One GS design flaw already corrected in the new MY13 LS, is the Aluminum Trim...

It's a proper "MATTE FINISH"
~ Joe Z
lmao joe, i was biting my tongue and see if anyone is going to point that out i like how the new combo is

Originally Posted by Mike@Vossen
The size difference between the GS and LS is staggering. The GS is around 190 inches long, the LS 200-205 inches long. The LS front end is even more bold and expressive than the GS especially since the LS has a full chrome frame and the center bar is NOT painted body color.
gs - 191, ls - 204 (difference 13)
5 series - 193, 7 series - 205 (difference 12)
e class - 191, s class - 206 (current) (difference 15)

they all look about the same to me. s and 7 both have bolder front as well and other features.
Old 07-31-12, 10:21 AM
bitkahuna
Lexus Fanatic

Received 2,428 Likes on 1,591 Posts

Originally Posted by natnut
OMG, the new S-class interior can't even beat the current GS interior let alone the new LS refresh. If this is what MB has in store for the new S, well....they better get back to the drawing board ASAP.
of course looking that testing interior that wasn't even meant to be seen by the public is no doubt what it will look like when it's released (not).

i do like the new ls interior though! big step forward. i just didn't care for that ls600hl camel interior with camel 'bar' on the dash too - kinda clashes with the black rest of it. ls all in black inside looks killer.
Old 07-31-12, 10:33 AM
rominl
exclusive matchup

Received 190 Likes on 148 Posts

Originally Posted by bitkahuna
i do like the new ls interior though! big step forward. i just didn't care for that ls600hl camel interior with camel 'bar' on the dash too - kinda clashes with the black rest of it. ls all in black inside looks killer.
hehe i am biased towards black ls interior

it just looks so classy, elegant, and rich
Old 07-31-12, 10:34 AM
BNR34
Lexus Fanatic

Received 26 Likes on 23 Posts

Originally Posted by GS3Tek
What other car luxobarge makers have oem wheels bigger than 20", besides the Karma?
S65 and 7series sport wheels come in 19". You can get the AC schnitzer in 21".
Not that I am a fan of huge wheels nor I agreed with CJITTY, just want to state some facts from my observations. Actually I usually prefer it one size smaller. Lexus usually keep it one inch smaller for ride quality and is a BIG deal. That is also why my LS430 is still on stock 18s, I refused to give up that creamy ride, even though I know 19s would make it look better and more updated.

But almost all high end luxury car come stock with 20s now a days and optional 21s. All AMG S-Class come with stock 20s, Even the S550 is stock 19s with optional 20s. 750i M is stock 20s, optional 21s. Audi A8 are all 20s now I think. Going one level higher, all Bentley are stock 20s, optional 21s. Phantom is stock 21s, but I guess that huge thing don't really count.

20s is the new 18s in 2012. Economy family cars are all stock on 17s and 18s now, so top end cars are all 20s+.

The catch is it require extra work to keep the creamy ride with huge wheels, AMG for example compensate the big wheels with the very expensive to operate ABC hydraulic suspension, they did it, but boy is it expensive.

On a full size luxury boat, ride quality is everything. I don't blame Lexus for keeping the small 19s. A prime example is the Infiniti M56, it's #1 complain is horrible ride quality with the optional 20s.

Last edited by BNR34; 07-31-12 at 10:41 AM.
Old 07-31-12, 10:49 AM
BNR34
Lexus Fanatic

Received 26 Likes on 23 Posts

Originally Posted by Mike@Vossen
Is been that way since like 1998, or even before that. LS had always been way longer then the GS and front end is way more bold, even the L badge is way bigger.

My LS430 looks like is at least a foot longer then my mom's 2GS.
Old 07-31-12, 11:02 AM
Blackraven
Lexus Champion

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I like what I'm seeing so far. Granted, this is just a facelift.....and not a full model change (model code for this vehicle is still "USF"). On the plus side, Lexus has added a lot of new things with this facelift so in a way, it's a "major facelift" (i.e. LS 4.5 or 4.75)

I like things such as a proper F-sport model as well as the 12.3 inch screen and other nice items. The front grille for me definitely adds more excitement and presence compared to the last update for the current LS.

Oh, and one of the pics hints at LS600hL with F-sport packaging (possibly for other markets like Europe or Japan).

Definitely nice overall.

P.S.
If ever there is any fault or downside that I would find with this new facelift...............well I'm not sure.

Oh wait probably a minor one. For those coming from the last MMC facelift of the LS600hL, you won't get the full TFT LCD display...........because this one sticks back to traditional analog OPTITRON gauges with a small MID screen in the middle.

That's the tradeoff for existing LS600hL buyers who want to upgrade to this facelifted version.

Hence, for those who really really really want full TFT display screen instrument panel on their Lexus LS, then you may have to wait for probably 3-4 years for the FULL MODEL CHANGE of the Lexus LS (aka 5th generation)

Quick Reply: Official 2013 Lexus LS460/460L/600hL & F-Sport thread