LS - 4th Gen (2007-2017) Discussion topics related to the current flagship models LS460, LS460L and LS600H

Official 2013 Lexus LS460/460L/600hL & F-Sport thread

Search this Thread

Old 08-01-12, 03:00 PM
blacksc400
Car Chat Moderator

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

If Lexus has a turbo V8 in the LS, I would jump on it right now. Similar option level and performance, Lexus for me all day, everyday.
Old 08-01-12, 03:09 PM
spwolf
Lexus Champion

Received 161 Likes on 119 Posts

Originally Posted by blacksc400
If Lexus has a turbo V8 in the LS, I would jump on it right now. Similar option level and performance, Lexus for me all day, everyday.
there is no even remote hint of production turbo's for any of TMC's cars :-)
Old 08-01-12, 03:38 PM
BNR34
Lexus Fanatic

Received 26 Likes on 23 Posts

Originally Posted by rominl
face it, last we checked bmw and mb air are also uneven, easily 1/2", both my s550 and your friend's car. i don't think that's fair to just criticize lexus
You are talking about different things here.

MB and BMW just sit uneven from the factory, once you set it up and even it out yourself, it sit even all day, everyday. Lexus is WAYYY off from the factory, you can even it out yourself, but after that, it still sit at a different angle every time you look at the car. I think is due to a very slow responding height sensor and suspension ECU, if you leave the car running for a long time without moving, it eventually get even out, but if you just pull up somewhere and just shut the car down, it never sit even.

fwiw, ls460 with air rides noticeably better than springs/shocks setup, i have driven so many i could tell
I say it feels different, better or not all depends on preferences I guess. I do prefer a slightly firmer feel. Ride quality is huge to me, I pay extremely close attention to the tons of various air, steel springs and hydraulic suspension I have sample, from Porsche to Bentley. I disagreed that air suspension provide an advantage to ride quality, ABC and magnetorheological shocks have a definite clear advantage in ride quality, but not air in general. You could just prefer the "air" feel, it has a distinctly different feel to it.

older lexus air rides very soft, that's debatable. but sux, that's probably just in your eyes. i would have more confidence in lexus air suspension not breaking before bmw and mb do
Longevity wise, of course Lexus win hands down. Feeling wise, Euro suspension is king.

Last edited by BNR34; 08-01-12 at 03:42 PM.
Old 08-01-12, 03:41 PM
Luxofreak
Lead Lap

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

I have to tell you... that front on that white Lexus posted above is just horrible. Looks like the car has been punched by Mike Tyson and its face is all wide open. It's just not proportional. This immense grill top+bottom is completely out of character because it's too big. The non F edition seems less exaggerated because of the divider bumper being more visible, but still Audi-big.
Old 08-01-12, 03:44 PM
BNR34
Lexus Fanatic

Hell yes, same here
Old 08-01-12, 03:50 PM
BNR34
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by spwolf
there is no even remote hint of production turbo's for any of TMC's cars :-)
BMW did not have a production turbo car for like 50 years, now they are ALL turbocharged.

Honda is the same way, no turbo in any of the production car ever (except those tiny kei cars), and they had a turbo in the RDX.

TMC made a tons of production turbo cars in the 80s and 90s, they could jump right back into it anytime

There are many rumors from Germany that TMC/TMG developed a Twin Turbo V8

Last edited by BNR34; 08-01-12 at 03:53 PM.
Old 08-01-12, 04:09 PM
BNR34
Lexus Fanatic

fwiw, ls460 with air rides noticeably better than springs/shocks setup, i have driven so many i could tell
I got a better explaination:

Ride quality is solely determine by the damper/shock absorber, the air part in an air suspension is just the spring, it is the air spring, that got nothing to do with ride quality.

It is possible that the air suspension in the LS460 got a better damper then the steel spring set up, that could explain why you like that better.

I got way off topic here, I will shut up now
Old 08-01-12, 04:11 PM
spwolf
Lexus Champion

Originally Posted by BNR34
BMW did not have a production turbo car for like 50 years, now they are ALL turbocharged.

Honda is the same way, no turbo in any of the production car ever (except those tiny kei cars), and they had a turbo in the RDX.

TMC made a tons of production turbo cars in the 80s and 90s, they could jump right back into it anytime

There are many rumors from Germany that TMC/TMG developed a Twin Turbo V8
yep... but again, no production turbo rumors for any of upcoming vehicles.... so Corolla, Rav4, Lexus IS... nobody of my Toyota/Lexus guys that go to all these pre-production sales meetings ever heard of it coming anytime soon... which means... it wont come anytime soon :-).
Old 08-01-12, 04:43 PM
blacksc400
Car Chat Moderator

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I think Toyota/Lexus is worrying too much about long term reliability on the engines, because that's what make it well known. But with all the tech now, turbo engine can be just as reliable as NA engine, or at least last much longer. It seems it IS the way to go ( performance/fuel economy wise ) with strict CAFE standard. Lexus cannot just depends on hybrid technology thinking it will win today's competitions.
Old 08-01-12, 05:11 PM
Hoovey689

Received 125 Likes on 83 Posts

In the end Toyota/Lexus will continue on with NA engines that compete/match with competitor FI engines for performance/efficiency until they don't, in which they will finally make the switch. Till then I'll enjoy the NA 5.0
Old 08-01-12, 05:17 PM
RXSF

Received 73 Likes on 44 Posts

IMO, they should have made the front turn signals out of the DRL white tubing so that the tubing arrows turn yellow
Old 08-01-12, 05:27 PM
spwolf
Lexus Champion

Originally Posted by RXSF
IMO, they should have made the front turn signals out of the DRL white tubing so that the tubing arrows turn yellow
is that legal? I dont think so... btw... when Audi's drl's lower intensity due to blinkers, it looks so weird to me...
Old 08-01-12, 05:51 PM
BNR34
Lexus Fanatic

I think Toyota/Lexus is worrying too much about long term reliability on the engines, because that's what make it well known. But with all the tech now, turbo engine can be just as reliable as NA engine, or at least last much longer. It seems it IS the way to go ( performance/fuel economy wise ) with strict CAFE standard. Lexus cannot just depends on hybrid technology thinking it will win today's competitions.
What I think is, the electric hybrid is the way TMC want to add power to all their cars, that's the only thing they are focusing on, but battery technology is not there yet, TMC is probably desperately developing it, but is taking a very long time.

That is why all of their powertrain upgrade is stalled, they are stuck.

So no boost, not adding displacement, they want to add electric power, but the battery power and capacity is not there yet, not to mention the high production cost. Internal combustion engine technologies are maxed out, there are no more power to be gain without boost and more displacement.

Once battery is powerful, small and cheap, cars will be crazy fast

I really believe this is why all the powertrain is being carrying over beginning with the 4GS. Direct injection is the last new power adder, that's it.

Last edited by BNR34; 08-01-12 at 05:56 PM.
Old 08-01-12, 06:00 PM
Joe Z
Lexus Fanatic

Received 1,064 Likes on 586 Posts
Lightbulb FYI for All...

Here are the "Official" 2013 Lexus LS Product PDF Files....

1) 2013 LS 460 | LS 460 L Product Information

2) 2013 LS 600h L Product Information

LOOK at all the Factory Options

FACTORY OPTIONS – LS 460 AND LS 460L

 19-inch multi-spoke wheels with 245/45YR19 all-season or summer tires

 Heated steering wheel

 Leather padded steering wheel

 LED Low and High Beam with Smart Beam

 Five-Mode (Eco, Comfort, Normal, Sport, Sport +) Air Suspension with Variable Gear Ratio Steering (VGRS)

 Blind Spot Monitor with Cross Traffic Alert

 Pre-Collision System (PCS) with all speed Dynamic Radar Cruise Control

 Advanced Pre-Collision System with Driver Attention Monitor and Collision Avoidance Assist

 Mark Levinson® Reference Surround Audio with 19 speakers, 450 watts of power and less than 0.1 percent Total Harmonic Distortion (THD) and DVD/CD changer

All Weather Package
 Quick response PTC heater
 Headlamp washers
 Wiper Deicer

Comfort Package
 Front climate control seats (heated and cooled)
 One-touch open/close power trunk
 Power rear sunshade

Semi-aniline Leather and Alcantara Upgrade Package
 Alcantara headliner
 Semi-aniline leather trim

Ultra Luxury Package
 Four zone climate control
 Power rear seats with climate control + lumber massage + butterfly headrest
 Rear air conditioning with cool box
 Rear audio controls
 Rear seat side airbags

Executive-Class Seating Package
 Four zone climate control
 Leather door trim
 Leather glove box
 Leather instrument panel
 Power ottoman seat with massage and ottoman knee airbag
 Rear air conditioning with cool box
 Rear audio controls
 Rear power sunshade
 Rear seat side airbags
 Rear seat DVD entertainment system with Blu-ray player

F SPORT
 19-inch forged alloy wheels
 Aluminum pedals
 Brembo brakes
 F SPORT door scuff plates
 Limited Slip Differential (RWD only)
 Paddle shifters
 Sport-tuned air suspension
 Sport seats
 Unique interior

Enjoy,

~ Joe Z
Attached Files

Last edited by Joe Z; 08-01-12 at 06:04 PM.
Old 08-01-12, 06:03 PM
SBlexus
Lead Lap

Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts

No matter what these car makers come out with there is always someone who thinks it should have been done a different way. This is the reason that someone came up with the term customizing, if Lexus would have put 22's on this " Refresh" believe me you someone would have not been pleased and change those to something of their liking. I love everyone's opinion on club Lexus but we gotta look at it like this if Lexus put everything on the car that we wanted, and believe me we wanted a lot Lol. The car would be so over price half of us probably couldn't afford the new "Refresh".

Quick Reply: Official 2013 Lexus LS460/460L/600hL & F-Sport thread