LS - 4th Gen (2007-2017) Discussion topics related to the current flagship models LS460, LS460L and LS600H

LS 460 Acceleration Problems

Search this Thread

Old 10-13-17, 09:45 AM
DavidinCT
Racer

Received 200 Likes on 148 Posts

Originally Posted by hfahmy
I think you have to login to lexus database from techstream to get the most recent ecu update files and caliberation, not 100% sure though. Only dealers and authorized service centers will have access to this database
There is a newer logon available called Techstream LITE, this for consumers and hobbyists/smaller shops (its a limited version but, it can access ECM/Calibration updates). As I understand you can get it based on being charged per day. I ask this only because of someone else has access, send me the newest version for a 2007 LS460L I would buy the device I need to apply it.

Edit: here ya go...
https://techinfo.snapon.com/TIS/term...spx?action=new

$15 for 2 days, maybe it might be worth it to try myself...

Figure if I can get access to the firmware, I would buy the device so I can apply it, $85 vs $100+ and I own the device. It's a nice dream anyway.

Last edited by DavidinCT; 10-13-17 at 10:27 AM.
Old 01-18-18, 11:59 AM
djkneekap
Driver School Candidate

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts
Default #metoo

Well guys I just experienced this phenomenon on my ’07 with 115K. Got my oil changed Friday (Jan 12) at Hendrick Lexus (full syn 0W20) and noticed hesitation on acceleration right after - same thing all the others have described. Initially, I was freaked out and started researching. Many suggested getting the ECM updated/reflashed. I called Lexus and asked about history on software updates on the car and was told it has not been done. Asked for the price and he could not quote me, just said I need to bring it in and have it diagnosed first for $139. Anyway, after a few days of driving, the issue is virtually gone. The car is back to accelerating like the rocket ship it is with no hesitation. So bizarre. I’m wondering if I should still get the ECM update.

Last edited by djkneekap; 01-18-18 at 12:06 PM. Reason: add mileage
The following users liked this post:
DrQuality (08-05-21)
Old 01-30-18, 07:27 AM
djkneekap
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by roadfrog
My issue has never returned since doing the Toyota Engine Oil System Cleaner and switching to 0W20 synthetic (TGMO). Nearly two years now and 40k miles. Prior to this, I had it happen on both of the previous oil changes.
Can you tell me the procedure you followed with the Toyota Oil System Cleaner? This is my next step before looking into getting the ECM reflash. Just had an oil change at Lexus a few weeks back and experiencing hesitation now. Very frustrating...
Old 01-30-18, 02:26 PM
roadfrog
Lexus Fanatic

Received 507 Likes on 385 Posts

Originally Posted by djkneekap
Can you tell me the procedure you followed with the Toyota Oil System Cleaner? This is my next step before looking into getting the ECM reflash. Just had an oil change at Lexus a few weeks back and experiencing hesitation now. Very frustrating...
You pour it into the crankcase immediately before an oil change with the engine at operating temp. Then you let the engine idle for 15 minutes and drain the oil. Here's the product:

Old 01-30-18, 03:28 PM
UDel
Lexus Fanatic

Received 296 Likes on 223 Posts

Lubro Molly makes a very similar product, you put it in right before a oil change, run the engine, and then change the oil.

https://products.liqui-moly.us/pro-l...e-flush-2.html
https://www.ecstuning.com/b-liqui_mo...Moly-ES3184220

Last edited by UDel; 01-30-18 at 03:33 PM.
Old 02-01-18, 01:25 PM
djkneekap
Driver School Candidate

Thanks fellas. I'll have to try the alternative to the Toyota product. My local dealership doesn't carry it and the guy I spoke with says he's never heard of it.
Old 02-01-18, 04:14 PM
roadfrog
Lexus Fanatic

Received 507 Likes on 385 Posts

My local dealership doesn't carry it and the guy I spoke with says he's never heard of it.
yep...for whatever reason, you can't get it in the US, but you can get it anywhere else on the planet. Just use a similar prodict that is an oil system cleaner. Not a fuel injector cleaner or oil additive or whatever. Here is a link to a Youtube video on the Toyota stuff:

Royal Purple, Liquimoly and others make a product similar to Toyota's.
djkneekap (02-02-18)
Old 05-03-18, 07:35 AM
Fgcain
Driver School Candidate

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts
Default Ls 4th gen

Originally Posted by Road Rage
The Lexus southern area office has informed us that this is popping up all over the nation and that they really don't know what it is yet. Same issue, typical oil change and then accel. complaint. The land of the rising sun engineers will be coming over for this one.
If this is happening across the board, after oil change , there must be a connecting factor.
1. Check the oil dipstick, it may not be seated correctly.
2. It is possible, the engine was started at oil change with dip stick rem
oved, or not seated.

either of these would be perceived by the Ecu as a large evap leak. It should throw a code, but, with the electronics on these cars, you never know. Sometimes, in my career, we look for something big, and find something small.
Old 05-03-18, 07:59 AM
Fgcain
Driver School Candidate

Default Ls

Originally Posted by glenneagle
I have a 2007 LS 460 with about 50,000 miles. Some 18 months ago, at about 35,000 miles,right after a service, I began to experience hesitation/lack of power when accelerating from a stop. Lexus fixed this by doing a software update to the transmission.

All was well till last month, when again right after a service, the car hesitated and totally lacked power , most noticable from a rolling stop. Revs would very gradually climb to 5,000, with foot flat on accelerator, yet car barely moving. Once speed built up to highway speeds, car reacted normally. Took it back to Park Place Lexus who held the car for 10 days and did a major job changing the cylindar head, I think per L-SB-0033-08.

A month later, the hesitation/lack of power is even worse then before! I suspect the issue is the transmission, and the big surgery on the engine done last month was not required. After nearly being hit trying to merge with traffic today, the vehicle is back at the dealership, and I took their head tech for a drive. He experienced the problem, but did not venture a solution. He told me they take instructions on what to do directly from Lexus.

Can any members share some light on this problem. I find it very strange that the problem each time manifested itself right after a routine service.
. Check the oil dipstick!!!
Old 05-10-18, 08:25 AM
Fgcain
Driver School Candidate

You have not driven my rx, it was miserable in every mode, the dealer could not fix it.the module did, it is now as smooth as an ls, and runs like a striped ape. If you had an understanding of how the electronics actually work you wouldn’t freak out over a little aftermarket tuning. The engine management computer only controls engine timing, fuel mixture, and cooling fans. All other parameters are locked in and can not be changed by any thing. All those “gizmos” are controlled by the chassis computer. That is not what we are dealing with.it is NOT a placebo effect.trans is controlled by a separate module.In my shop I have seen many vehicles with similar issues. The firs was a new 1994 chevy truck, exact same symptoms,service manager at chevy was an old friend, he pulled the ecm, installed hyper tech chip, billed. Chevy for an a/c compressor, customer was very happy. We did this on lots of vehicles at my shop. Never had a problem. But you know, ignorance is bliss.
Old 05-10-18, 08:27 AM
Fgcain
Driver School Candidate

You have not driven my rx, it was miserable in every mode, the dealer could not fix it.the module did, it is now as smooth as an ls, and runs like a striped ape. If you had an understanding of how the electronics actually work you wouldn’t freak out over a little aftermarket tuning. The engine management computer only controls engine timing, fuel mixture, and cooling fans. All other parameters are locked in and can not be changed by any thing. All those “gizmos” are controlled by the chassis computer. That is not what we are dealing with.it is NOT a placebo effect.trans is controlled by a separate module.In my shop I have seen many vehicles with similar issues. The firs was a new 1994 chevy truck, exact same symptoms,service manager at chevy was an old friend, he pulled the ecm, installed hyper tech chip, billed. Chevy for an a/c compressor, customer was very happy. We did this on lots of vehicles at my shop. Never had a problem. But you know, ignorance is bliss.
Old 05-14-18, 08:15 PM
mcfancy
Pole Position

Received 11 Likes on 9 Posts

$60k car and risking it with a 79 circuit ....now way....again read link closely.....incredible how folks will go for things that are cheap fixes and then feel to humbled later to admit scam.....same thing happens with the so called chips that save mpg when folks afe desperate....http://www.performancechipreviews.co...formance-chip/
Old 04-25-20, 07:46 PM
Jrose
Driver School Candidate

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Please Help

I am having THE SAME issue with my 09’ LS460. . I have filed two complaints with Lexus corporate. Curious if you ever were able to find a solution?
mathyewgt (09-27-20)
Old 04-25-20, 08:21 PM
johnnyg66
Racer

Received 152 Likes on 130 Posts

I had this issue after the first oil change after getting my 07. Did the oil flush as noted above and i do it during every change. Also had the dealer update the firmware think the trans had an update too. In the last 4 years have not had that issue.
DrQuality (08-05-21)
Old 04-27-20, 08:10 AM
mogbert
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by Jrose
I am having THE SAME issue with my 09’ LS460. . I have filed two complaints with Lexus corporate. Curious if you ever were able to find a solution?
Nope! I had to sell the car for parts. It continued to get worse and worse until it became dangerous to drive.

Quick Reply: LS 460 Acceleration Problems