LS - 4th Gen (2007-2017) Discussion topics related to the current flagship models LS460, LS460L and LS600H

Yet another thread about low beam adjustment

Search this Thread

Old 07-18-12, 07:25 PM
Luxofreak
Lead Lap

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

I didn't have time to check if the sensors at the back suspension can be adjusted. If they can, the cut-off plate inside the light unit will move, controlled by the step motor in there. I will post as soon as I get some time to check it out.
Old 07-23-12, 11:20 AM
G-SharK
Pole Position

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Luxofreak - Thanks for the update, hope you can help.
Old 08-09-12, 06:21 AM
G-SharK
Pole Position

About time I figured this out! Last night I decided to adjust the auto level sensor on the front driver side. I extended the rod a little longer and guess what? The headlights now are raised.

The reason why the manual adjustment on the headlights (under the hood) did not work for me was because I had dropped my car with Tanabe springs (front 1.5" drop and rear 0.8" drop) therefore the front of the car was sitting lower than the rear so the auto level kept adjusting the headlights down.

By adjusting extending the rod on the front sensor, I have corrected the level sensor to compensate for the front being lower than the rear. The sensors are now sending the correct message to the headlight motors that the car is level now therefore the headlights are raised.

*I recommend doing this instead of manually adjusting the headlights per the instructions in the owners manual because with the headlights being auto level. It does not make since to adjusted the headlights assembly when the headlight motors are going to change the aim of the headlights when its on. As you might have already notice, when you first start your car at night, you will see the headlights come on and move up then down. I believe that is the point when it auto adjust. I think the manual adjustment per the owners manual is more for adjusting the AIM of the bulb then it is to adjusting raising or lowering the headlight beam.

My 2cents!

Shout out to all the peeps that have been trying to help me do this, Mission accomplished!!!!!!!!!!

Last edited by G-SharK; 08-09-12 at 06:30 AM.
Old 08-09-12, 12:07 PM
Luxofreak
Lead Lap

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

Originally Posted by New to IS3
Shout out to all the peeps that have been trying to help me do this, Mission accomplished!!!!!!!!!!
That's good news. I've been super busy at work didn't check mine yet. Where is that rod located at the front suspension? Care to post a picture? Thanks!
Old 08-09-12, 02:25 PM
G-SharK
Pole Position

Just remove the front driver side wheel and you will see the headlight sensor and the rod. You can't miss it. Its the only thing there besides your regular brake components.
Old 07-03-19, 12:32 PM
userix
Driver

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by Luxofreak
The suspension sensor tells where the cut-off plate inside the lens should be, given the variations of weight at the back of the car, like full gas tank, luggage, passengers, etc... That is a setting that should not be messed with.

There is one small screw that is just for the alignment of the light assembly relative to the body of the car. It has nothing to do with the low beam levels.

The one screw that has to be used to move the low beams higher of lower, is down there, (page 6 on attached document) and this screw moves both the high and low beams. I have the same problem of how to access these screws when the light unit is installed on the car.

The attached PDF file shows exactly where the screw is. But I still don't know how to access it when the light unit is on the car.
I need to adjust the whole headlight unit in relation to the body. But the PDF doesn't show clearly where the screw to adjust the alignment of the headlight housing to the car body. From what I gather, it can be done without having to remove the headlight unit.