LS - 4th Gen (2007-2017) Discussion topics related to the current flagship models LS460, LS460L and LS600H

Factory Air Suspension 101: Share your A/S knowledge here

Search this Thread

Old 09-16-13, 04:28 PM
mrgameover
Driver

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by SLOW4DR
I'm curious to those that replaced oem air struts with coilovers or aftermarket air, what else did you remove outside of the oem struts? I just installed bc racing coils on my brothers 460l and expected a Christmas tree only to find no lights on. Only thing I removed was the oem air struts and put the bc's in.
Interesting. So all you did was remove all the oem air shocks and left the factory air line, and actuator harnesses unplugged? Did you disconnect the battery cables before removing the OEM shocks? I have my bag setup here waiting on a solution because I do not want the "christmas tree" in my cluster.

Just curious, but were the shocks bad or did he just decide to ride on coil overs?

Last edited by mrgameover; 09-16-13 at 04:32 PM.
Old 09-16-13, 05:50 PM
SLOW4DR
Pole Position

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by mrgameover
Interesting. So all you did was remove all the oem air shocks and left the factory air line, and actuator harnesses unplugged? Did you disconnect the battery cables before removing the OEM shocks? I have my bag setup here waiting on a solution because I do not want the "christmas tree" in my cluster.

Just curious, but were the shocks bad or did he just decide to ride on coil overs?
yeah I just removed the oem struts and that's it. Everything else is still plugged in. 3 were good, the rear driver went bad and was clunking. Figuring it would probably destroy the other rear strut as well as the rear tire. Battery was plugged in. Going UAS over BC + accuair sometime next year.
Old 11-20-13, 05:25 PM
minkus
Driver School Candidate

so @slow4dr, you replaced your factory spring struts with aftermarket? Correct me if im reading wrong. I believe we're trying to figure out the solution to an aftermarket air on an OEM equipped Air setup.

I'm waiting on a few replies from some shops who've claimed to successfully figure this option out.

another one I heard about was and aftermarket air setup + the data controller to trick the vehicle but thats a whole other story and price tag
Old 11-21-13, 08:59 AM
CJITTY
Lead Lap

Received 151 Likes on 113 Posts

Originally Posted by minkus

another one I heard about was and aftermarket air setup + the data controller to trick the vehicle but thats a whole other story and price tag
Not sure if that makes sense to me. You use the data controller with oem air suspension, i don't think i have heard of anyone using aftermarket air with the data systems controller too since the aftermarket air has its own controls. the data controller made by data systems is designed to plug n play with factory suspension ecu...there is a thread on the data controller in the FAQ Sticky thread
Old 12-04-13, 12:32 PM
minkus
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by CJITTY
Not sure if that makes sense to me. You use the data controller with oem air suspension, i don't think i have heard of anyone using aftermarket air with the data systems controller too since the aftermarket air has its own controls. the data controller made by data systems is designed to plug n play with factory suspension ecu...there is a thread on the data controller in the FAQ Sticky thread
I'm plenty aware of whats "stickied" above, and yes, I know that the DATA controller is made to work with the OEM air suspension..

What I was referring to was the fact, on all OEM air based models, that once you decide to go Aftermarket Air a solution for the by pass to prevent the Cluster from lighting up a "Christmas tree" and losing the adaptive front lighting system which will no longer work as I have read and was told by the factory air owners who went this route.

My theory, by leaving the DATA controller In with the addition of an aftermarket air setup, Everything should still work since the data controller will act as the by pass, telling the car that the car is still fully functional in OEM form, thus not throwing the codes at start up, and the adaptive steering function on the headlights remain untouched?

Last edited by minkus; 12-04-13 at 12:47 PM.
Old 12-04-13, 12:46 PM
jayhoang
Pole Position

Received 3 Likes on 1 Post

I'm plenty aware of whats "stickied" above, and yes, I know that the DATA controller is made to work with the OEM air suspension..

What I was referring to was the fact, on all OEM air based models, that once you decide to go Aftermarket Air a solution for the by pass to prevent the Cluster from lighting up a "Christmas tree" and losing the adaptive front lighting system which will no longer work as I have read and was told by the factory air owners who went this route.

My theory, by leaving the DATA controller In with the addition of an aftermarket air setup, Everything should still work since the data controller will act as the by pass, telling the car that the car is still fully functional in OEM form, thus not throwing the codes at start up, and the adaptive steering function on the headlights remain untouched
Just to elaborate on the PM I just sent...

The controller is only used to relay information from the OEM air struts to you and the car. The connection is most likely not going to be in the controller, it is actually the sensors that plug into the struts. The sensors indicate whether the actual strut(s) are damaged or not and is connected to the adaptive front lighting system.

By removing the OEM air struts, you remove the connection. I suspect that having the controller plugged in when the OEM struts are gone will only give you an error screen or an unusable controller.

The solution is either to find the fuse to get rid of the light or find a way to get the cars' sensor to read that everything is normal from the OEM struts.
Old 12-04-13, 03:21 PM
minkus
Driver School Candidate

Thank you Jay!

Thats exactly what I'm trying to figure out right now, best bet, I should rip apart the stock struts now and see whats going on down there unless someone here on the forum has some detailed photo of the oem air struts off the car to thoroughly examine

If sensors are removable / replaceable and adaptable to the aftermarket setup. Fingers crossed!

Shout out to Jay and the rest of the guys on this forum for all the help so far
Old 12-09-13, 02:54 PM
mrgameover
Driver

Thank you Jay!

Thats exactly what I'm trying to figure out right now, best bet, I should rip apart the stock struts now and see whats going on down there unless someone here on the forum has some detailed photo of the oem air struts off the car to thoroughly examine

If sensors are removable / replaceable and adaptable to the aftermarket setup. Fingers crossed!

Shout out to Jay and the rest of the guys on this forum for all the help so far
I don't believe it would be possible. The only sensor that is mounted to the OEM struts is the actuators on the top that controls the dampers (sport/ comfort) which twist off the assembly. The other thing that is connected to the strut is the air line.

Ive messaged both slow4dr and jayhoang before and one has the xmas tree while the other didn't. Even though one is on coil over and the other on air. Wouldn't make a difference since the OEM assembly has been removed. So I've been waiting/ hoping for one of the pioneers to share their knowledge on this subject.

Ive been trying to figure out what triggers the "check air suspension" light myself. If you do find a definite solution, can you message me or post here. Thanks
Old 01-03-14, 07:00 PM
RudyRC51
Driver School Candidate

yeah I just removed the oem struts and that's it. Everything else is still plugged in. 3 were good, the rear driver went bad and was clunking. Figuring it would probably destroy the other rear strut as well as the rear tire. Battery was plugged in. Going UAS over BC + accuair sometime next year.
@SLOW4DR I have the exact same problem right now, i am about to get those BC's and put them on next week.. is the job pretty stright forward, going from OEM air to BC coilover.. How has the ride been (tolerance wise) and have you experienced any other issues such as rubbing etc... I have 22's on. Really glad someone proved it was done, been searching like crazy.
Old 01-13-14, 09:22 AM
SLOW4DR
Pole Position

The ride isn't terrible but obviously not as good as oem air lol. There aren't any air sensors on the oem shocks. Just the air line going in and the Avs sensor on top. Car still running with no error codes.
Old 01-13-14, 10:12 AM
jayhoang
Pole Position

The ride isn't terrible but obviously not as good as oem air lol. There aren't any air sensors on the oem shocks. Just the air line going in and the Avs sensor on top. Car still running with no error codes.
Interesting. Any idea why my error codes would be on then if we both removed the suspension?
Old 01-14-14, 06:17 AM
SLOW4DR
Pole Position

What else did you guys remove? Did u pull fuses?
Old 01-14-14, 06:44 AM
jayhoang
Pole Position

What else did you guys remove? Did u pull fuses?
Nope. Fuses remained. We just removed the struts. All lines and existing wires stayed intact. That's why I'm confused as to why you (most likely) did the same thing as me when installing your coilovers as I would have when installing my bags and you have no light while I do. lol
Old 01-14-14, 10:24 AM
SLOW4DR
Pole Position

Originally Posted by jayhoang
Nope. Fuses remained. We just removed the struts. All lines and existing wires stayed intact. That's why I'm confused as to why you (most likely) did the same thing as me when installing your coilovers as I would have when installing my bags and you have no light while I do. lol
Yeah that sounds like what I did as well lol. I left the battery hooked up as well. Unsure what the culprit could be. Perhaps your leveling sensors are off and are throwing the system out of whack.
Old 01-14-14, 08:15 PM
mrgameover
Driver

SLOW4DR, you didn't pull any fuses either correct? are the adaptive front lighting still responsive to the steering? When you press the height high, sport/comfort buttons, do they still light up on the cluster upon activating them?

Quick Reply: Factory Air Suspension 101: Share your A/S knowledge here