LS - 4th Gen (2007-2017) Discussion topics related to the current flagship models LS460, LS460L and LS600H

Need Help with Decision 2008-09 600hL or 2010+ 460L or ?

Search this Thread

Old 07-30-12, 09:21 AM
CJITTY
Lead Lap

Received 150 Likes on 112 Posts
Default Need Help with Decision 2008-09 600hL or 2010+ 460L or ?

Hello Everyone,

I think most of you are aware I sold my fully loaded 2007 460 SWB with every option minus air susp and rear dvd system and hunting for a LWB replacement. Finding a LWB with all options minus exec seating configuation is proving to be nearly impossible. It has only been 35 days, but I am car pooling with the wife right now and need to make a move soon.

I wanted to run these 3 thoughts by you and hoping you can provide me with your thoughts on the matter and it could help provide me with some other ways to look at things. My budget is about $55K

1. Get a CPO 2008 or 2009 600hL right now.
Pros - Its a 600hL with every option I want, it's bawse as hell, rare car compared to 460s, it is guaranteed to have all options I want minus turn signal mirrors and blind spot detector.
Concerns - Nearly 5 year old car that will cost over $50K after taxes, older hybrids are not selling that frequent based on my research, what happens after 100K miles, limited color options available.

2. Wait for 2010+ LS460L with all options including rear seat upgrade.
Pros - Costs about the same as 600hL and two years newer and under factory warranty most likely
Concerns - Extremely rare to find one with this package in white or black

3. Wait for 2010+ LS600hL to go down in cost
Pros - Significant upgrade to trunk space and new dash, it's a newer 600hL
Concerns - Still running high $60s/low $70s at auction, not knowning how long to wait it out with release of new LS model today (July 30)

Your thoughts would really help out. I know there are a few others in my situaton also thinking about this. I know I am fortunate to even be in this position and I am grateful, but I want to make the best decision. I have never struggled with making a car choice, but the rare LS's out there is really making this hard lol. Thanks in advance for your thoughts! - Uncle Jitty

Last edited by CJITTY; 07-30-12 at 09:27 AM.
Old 07-30-12, 09:37 AM
SBlexus
Lead Lap

Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts

First off you had a very rare car!!! Second pretty much any model Lexus u decide to buy is probably going to be a good buy. Third u seem like a person who will never be satisfied if he had a good thing, my opinion. Good luck and go with your first intuition when u came to the conclusion to sell your rare swb, and that should bring u to the right decession on what Lexus to buy. Not being an azz just keeping it real!!!
Old 07-30-12, 09:55 AM
CJITTY
Lead Lap

Originally Posted by SBlexus
First off you had a very rare car!!! Second pretty much any model Lexus u decide to buy is probably going to be a good buy. Third u seem like a person who will never be satisfied if he had a good thing, my opinion. Good luck and go with your first intuition when u came to the conclusion to sell your rare swb, and that should bring u to the right decession on what Lexus to buy. Not being an azz just keeping it real!!!
Ok, although I appreciate your opinion, I disagree about not ever being satisied with anything, mainly because you don't know me at all so I think you maybe rushed to that conclusion. What is true is that I rushed into buying my SWB back in 2010 because it was local and I drove by it each day. I was a LS noob at the time and didn't even realize the car I bought at the time had options that others didnt. Things I thought were standard were options which surprised me like soft door closers, etc. But, I should of saved up and bought an LWB from the start..

I am a much more educated on the LS now so I wanted to upgrade from a SWB that did not have air suspension to a LWB that does and I also wanted to sell my SWB while I could max out the selling price, which I feel that I did. Essentially only losing $3500 from Aug 2010 to July 2012 (based on paid price vs sell price). The SWB and LWB are completely different and quite honestly, I have seen more 2007/2008 SWB with rear seat upgrades than the same and current year LWBs so it does not seem as rare as I once thought.

But thanks for chiming in either way

Last edited by CJITTY; 07-30-12 at 09:59 AM.
Old 07-30-12, 10:27 AM
cheez80
Lexus Test Driver

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

the 600 > 460. it's a way better car (more quiet, more refinement, more everything except fuel haha)
Old 07-30-12, 10:36 AM
patgilm
Lead Lap

Received 286 Likes on 203 Posts

I think you know my thoughts without even saying it. I love my 600hL. I personally like the 2007-2009 LS body style but that is my opinion. The 2009 600hL differences are passenger side memory seat and a little bigger trunk but it is still up there in price right now compared to the 2008's. It seems either way you go, for the color, mileage and options you want it will be tough to find the perfect car you are looking for. The 600's I see for sale are mostly black, smoky granite or silver so you are limited with what is out there. If priced right and in really good condition the 600's are selling pretty quick. One black/alabaster trade in CPO sold within a week with 41k miles for low $50's. The one's priced in the mid 50's to 60's are sitting there. I put in a search in autotrader for 600s and it would email me every time a new one was posted. I wasn't really looking and loved my 09 SWB but wanted a 600 for the same reasons as you, they pretty much have all the options and I wanted RSES for my kids on short trips where I didn't feel like taking the truck. When one popped up in the color, mileage, no stories, pricing, etc. I jumped on it. I also compromised what colors I was willing to accept which it seems like you have done and as a result I think you will find your car soon.

For the 460's it may be even tougher to find one with rear seat upgrade, RSES, radar cruise, etc. without exec seating in the color, mileage, condition etc. As for the 2010 600's they may be tough to find at the auction because they are still pretty new but they will pop up here and there and if you really like that body style, I would go for that.
Old 07-30-12, 11:38 AM
CJITTY
Lead Lap

Originally Posted by patgilm
I think you know my thoughts without even saying it. I love my 600hL. I personally like the 2007-2009 LS body style but that is my opinion. The 2009 600hL differences are passenger side memory seat and a little bigger trunk but it is still up there in price right now compared to the 2008's. It seems either way you go, for the color, mileage and options you want it will be tough to find the perfect car you are looking for. The 600's I see for sale are mostly black, smoky granite or silver so you are limited with what is out there. If priced right and in really good condition the 600's are selling pretty quick. One black/alabaster trade in CPO sold within a week with 41k miles for low $50's. The one's priced in the mid 50's to 60's are sitting there. I put in a search in autotrader for 600s and it would email me every time a new one was posted. I wasn't really looking and loved my 09 SWB but wanted a 600 for the same reasons as you, they pretty much have all the options and I wanted RSES for my kids on short trips where I didn't feel like taking the truck. When one popped up in the color, mileage, no stories, pricing, etc. I jumped on it. I also compromised what colors I was willing to accept which it seems like you have done and as a result I think you will find your car soon.

For the 460's it may be even tougher to find one with rear seat upgrade, RSES, radar cruise, etc. without exec seating in the color, mileage, condition etc. As for the 2010 600's they may be tough to find at the auction because they are still pretty new but they will pop up here and there and if you really like that body style, I would go for that.
Good points. I think I learned something, so the 2009 600s actually have a different trunk than the 08s?
Old 07-30-12, 11:51 AM
patgilm
Lead Lap

Originally Posted by CJITTY
Good points. I think I learned something, so the 2009 600s actually have a different trunk than the 08s?
Yes but not much.

https://www.clublexus.com/forums/ls4...30-larger.html
Old 07-30-12, 12:32 PM
CJITTY
Lead Lap

There is a 2008 CPO on the east coast that spent much of its time being serviced in Queens NYC. According to the Lexus service records, It has had it's oil drain pan replaced due to "damage", radiator replaced along with another cooling component, one of the air struts replaced, leather seats repaired, some body work back in 2009 (not sure exactly what) and numerous other retaining clip replacement entries. Sometimes the svc history note entries sound worse than the actual repair but for a CPO car, it looks like it has some battle wounds. I was going to pull the trigger on it, but even though it is CPO, I am wondering if this car is one I should avoid. It has been on lot for over a couple months
Old 07-30-12, 12:51 PM
patgilm
Lead Lap

I would avoid and wait, too many question marks. I know the one you are talking about. If you can live with black, there is one with (what looks like) alabaster interior with factory warranty for 2.5 years more that looks pretty clean from one owner (been for sale for a while, I bet you could get it down to where you need it to be). There is also another close to me that is black/black and I know what they paid at the auction recently. Problem is, do you want black again?

Last edited by patgilm; 07-30-12 at 12:59 PM.
Old 07-30-12, 01:00 PM
CJITTY
Lead Lap

I would avoid and wait, too many question marks. I know the one you are talking about. If you can live with black, there is one with (what looks like) alabaster interior with factory warranty for 2.5 years more that looks pretty clean from one owner. There is also another close to me that is black/black and I know what they paid at the auction recently. Problem is, do you want black again?
I'm glad you appreciate my dillema. The black looks so damn good, but it was one of my biggest gripes. With enough wax, it somewhat takes away the swirls but they are always there. Since white was my top pick for the next LS round, I was really set on that but that is a lost dream with these options for sure. The SGM I am talking about was going to be "something new and different" but it wasn't a color I initially thought of. It does look great, but wondering if it is a good look for a 600. I know of a black on black that is also in VA, perhaps we are talking about the same one at a Jag dealer. That one has had the rear bumper and LR taillight replaced..not major but it is also an east coast car, so I think of corrosion on the bolts and things like that. My broker is going to run an autocheck for me since carfax's have been 0-4 in my last cars I have researched that I thought were solid. I would be interested to hear more about this black on black with 2.5 years on warranty..must be that 2010 I have been seeing at McGrath for $74K now
Old 07-30-12, 01:05 PM
patgilm
Lead Lap

Originally Posted by CJITTY
I'm glad you appreciate my dillema. The black looks so damn good, but it was one of my biggest gripes. With enough wax, it somewhat takes away the swirls but they are always there. Since white was my top pick for the next LS round, I was really set on that but that is a lost dream with these options for sure. The SGM I am talking about was going to be "something new and different" but it wasn't a color I initially thought of. It does look great, but wondering if it is a good look for a 600. I know of a black on black that is also in VA, perhaps we are talking about the same one at a Jag dealer. That one has had the rear bumper and LR taillight replaced..not major but it is also an east coast car, so I think of corrosion on the bolts and things like that. My broker is going to run an autocheck for me since carfax's have been 0-4 in my last cars I have researched that I thought were solid. I would be interested to hear more about this black on black with 2.5 years on warranty..must be that 2010 I have been seeing at McGrath for $74K now
The one with 2.5 years left on extended warranty is a 2008 black with alabaster I believe. It is in NC from a private owner and looks like it has been taken care of very well but I didn't run the VIN. Price a little higher but I am sure would come down. I will say in the 600 black looks the best but I personally don't have the patience and time to deal with it.

Oh, and yes we are talking about the same black/black in VA.
Old 07-30-12, 01:26 PM
CJITTY
Lead Lap

The one with 2.5 years left on extended warranty is a 2008 black with alabaster I believe. It is in NC from a private owner and looks like it has been taken care of very well but I didn't run the VIN. Price a little higher but I am sure would come down. I will say in the 600 black looks the best but I personally don't have the patience and time to deal with it.

Oh, and yes we are talking about the same black/black in VA.
Cool, thanks! alabaster is a no go unfortunately. Have you seen the b/b in VA in person?
Old 07-30-12, 01:29 PM
Valley101
Lead Lap

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Default Car Search

The Lexus cars with air suspension is maybe not a good idea. They have been a trouble area for Lexus and I read where air suspension will not be available starting with the 2013 model. May want to think that over because a repair or replacement in that area will run in the thousands of dollars once the warranty is expired.
Old 07-30-12, 01:30 PM
I8ABMR
Lexus Fanatic

Received 102 Likes on 67 Posts

Its doubtful that you will actually have a choice of all three at the same time. If it was me I would focus on the 460L, but if a 600 shows up then set the sights on it
Old 07-30-12, 01:37 PM
CJITTY
Lead Lap

Originally Posted by I8ABMR
Its doubtful that you will actually have a choice of all three at the same time. If it was me I would focus on the 460L, but if a 600 shows up then set the sights on it
Yup, that is why I stated:

1. Get
2. Wait
3. or Wait some more

Quick Reply: Need Help with Decision 2008-09 600hL or 2010+ 460L or ?