LS - 4th Gen (2007-2017) Discussion topics related to the current flagship models LS460, LS460L and LS600H

First Impression: 2013 Lexus LS

Search this Thread

Old 08-04-12, 08:57 AM
Ice350
Lexus Fanatic

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

Many of you know I'm not a big fan of the spindle but it is better executed on this new LS than the 4GS. Much better. It's just so wide and open but it is dynamic and bold. It could be a face that only a mother could love....or a face that changes the future of Lexus. Only time will tell.
The rest of the LS looks familiar. This means they didn't change much. Some will like that, some won't. I always liked that car and since I never had one, I'm ok with the familiarity.

I do think the car will do well. It's more like the other brands in that it is the flag ship of Lexus but now with a bold, controversial spindle grill. Benz, Audi and BMW all have that family similarity and it looks like Lexus is following suit.

Lexus used to be known for leading the pack. For being different. Now they are following the others. That part I don''t like.
Old 08-04-12, 04:56 PM
Bushwack
Lead Lap

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Not happy with the new LS. I wasn't happy with the new GS. Kudos that they running with a new grill for all models but take away the front end and both cars have too many similarities to their respective previous generation. I was anticipating getting the new LS but now I'm not sure. Going to hold off a bit - maybe the 2013 will grow on me. But the fact that I'm now considering a Jaguar XJ or the Audi A7 doesn't say much on how ultra conservative Lexus designers have become.
Old 08-04-12, 04:57 PM
doverrx330
Driver School Candidate

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default LS Grill

Originally Posted by Luxofreak
I couldn't agree more. I really don't like that audi-wanna-be front grill. It's just not right. Resembles a Mack truck front. And my goodness it just looks like everything else on the road... where is the exclusivity?
Couldn't agee wth you more. But I think it looks like the PREDATOR's mouth from the Arnold Schwartzenneger movie
Old 08-04-12, 05:23 PM
I8ABMR
Lexus Fanatic

Received 102 Likes on 67 Posts

I dont know what it is but it kind of reminds me of darth vader. It would be cool to have a black on black LS with the license plate DTHSTAR
Old 08-04-12, 06:22 PM
SBlexus
Lead Lap

Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts

Originally Posted by I8ABMR
I dont know what it is but it kind of reminds me of darth vader. It would be cool to have a black on black LS with the license plate DTHSTAR
Lol, after awhile u will get used to it because u will start seeing more of them on the road just like all the retro domestic cars camaros, challengers ,and mustangs eventually the blend in.
Old 08-04-12, 07:01 PM
daryll40
Pole Position

Received 419 Likes on 286 Posts

Originally Posted by Ys88q7
I second that well said well said!!!!
I third that! I've owned many Benzes, Audis and a VW. Nothing but aggravation. Lexus=no grief.
Old 08-04-12, 10:09 PM
bagyo
Driver

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I know you guys aren't too fond of the spindle grill design language Lexus has taken up, but I love it! Look at BMW's M cars, they are just as aggressive but with less lines that flow well, unlike the new spindle grilled Lexus's with nice sharp flowing lines. Love the refresh inside and outside. Classy and aggressive, but the LS really needs more power, especially on the F-Sport model. I’m sure the power is adequate, but a premium flagship car like this with it’s high premium car MSRP should have at least 400+HP considering today’s standards.
Old 08-05-12, 12:32 AM
rominl
exclusive matchup

Received 190 Likes on 148 Posts

Originally Posted by I8ABMR
hehee, someone is thinking about his next car already

Originally Posted by CEOEngr
Rominl, I totally agree with you. I am also having similar extremely positive experiences with other brands. Currently, I am rotating on a weekly basis my daily drive between MB, BMW, Jag, and Panomera. For the record, my worst experience during the last 4 years has been with the 2007 LS460L, and some of the associated issues can be attributed to the poor dealership service and lack thereof. But I have not wriiten off Lexus from my future wish list.
sorry to hear about your problems with the dealership service, i agree that can make big difference. fwiw, 06-11 had been a dip on lexus in terms of quality, i am seeing their quality improving quite a bit in the ct and 4gs already. so i somewhat expect the same on this new interior

Originally Posted by SBlexus
CEO, and Rominl once u guys are dead on about up keep on a car and you can really tell the true car guys on these type of site. I still want to see those Benz pics. When it comes down to freedom of speech there is no right or wrong comments.
my s550 is just a bone stock silver, really nothing exciting to write home about. my kids have kept me busy enough to not think much on mods.

Originally Posted by flipside909
Yup that is correct. Luxury Sedan

Yeah it definitely is the same chassis. It's still printed USV40 on the vin plate. As for the GS, I totally agree on that sentiment. They finally got the chassis right, but the power is just okay. Mileage is good is pretty good, averaging 26.5 mixed city/hwy. As for the 2013 LS, the drive dynamic is the biggest question.
yeah, some people they just keep believing this is 5ls. i would give this 4.5ls at most, just like porsche with the well-known 997.5.

i am interested to see how driving is changed on the 2013 ls. it's the same chassis and similar suspension structure. what minor tweaks here and there can do, that's going to be fun.

On the power standpoint, I think if Lexus will stretch the lifecycles of each car past their typical 5 year with 1 refresh, the powertrain should definitely gain some type of upgrade. 6+ years is a long time to stretch a platform. LS has always been on a 5 year plan with a mid year refresh and this is the first time they're going beyond that. At least if they're going to do such a drastic change inside and out, the powertrain should be taken into consideration especially with a specific model with sport in mind:

Gen 1 - UCF10 1990-1994 (1993 Refresh) 4.0L 250hp
Gen 2 - UCF20 1995-2000 (1998 Refresh) 4.0L 260hp
Gen 3 - UCF30 2001-2006 (2004 Refresh) 4.3L 290hp
Gen 4 - USV40 2007-current (2010 Refresh; 2013 Refresh). 4.6L 380hp; 4.6L 386hp

Granted that the greatest jump occured between generations 3rd to 4th, I think at least the F SPORT should have gotten a little more power than 6, especially when the current generation is being stretched out longer.
what i am interested is how long lexus is going to stay with this 4ls bone, another 2-3 years? or another 5-6 years? i HOPE they go for 2-3 years, that gives them time to stretch out all the new car release and easier on the marketing (big help), give them more time on the 5ls, and able to get "ahead" of competitors more.

another 5-6 years on this would be way too long. things will be really dated by then, and lexus will hit the problem of having too many cars released at the same time again.

on the power, it's really hard to say. for NA setup, it might cost lexus too much to maintain two power setup, one for a lower production f-sport. overall i am ok with same power train, but different styling, few exclusive options (like now), different suspensions, etc...
[/QUOTE]
Old 08-05-12, 10:15 AM
Mob4life
Driver

Received 19 Likes on 9 Posts

I don't why people are complaining about the horsepower of the 2013 LS. Does anyone know the specs for the 2011 Audi A8. It has 372 hp and 0-60 in the mid fives. So anyone who is complaining needs to do their homework. What will be important is how the F sport drives. If its driving capabilities are similar to an Audi or BMW then Lexus has accomplished its goal.
Old 08-05-12, 12:48 PM
bud hurley
Driver School Candidate

the new grill reminds me of an EDSEL
Old 08-05-12, 12:56 PM
Luxofreak
Lead Lap

Originally Posted by doverrx330
Couldn't agee wth you more. But I think it looks like the PREDATOR's mouth from the Arnold Schwartzenneger movie
I think you're right!!!
Attached Thumbnails First Impression: 2013 Lexus LS-prelexi.jpg  
Old 08-05-12, 01:38 PM
SBlexus
Lead Lap

Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts

I think you're right!!!
That ...ish funny as hell
Old 08-05-12, 01:52 PM
Ice350
Lexus Fanatic

That looks like the same pic I used when describing the 4GS.
Old 08-05-12, 02:42 PM
freedom88
Driver School Candidate

I think you're right!!!
LOL....
Old 08-05-12, 06:57 PM
rominl
exclusive matchup

Received 190 Likes on 148 Posts

Originally Posted by Mob4life
I don't why people are complaining about the horsepower of the 2013 LS. Does anyone know the specs for the 2011 Audi A8. It has 372 hp and 0-60 in the mid fives. So anyone who is complaining needs to do their homework. What will be important is how the F sport drives. If its driving capabilities are similar to an Audi or BMW then Lexus has accomplished its goal.
you must have missed the many previous threads where a lot of us complained on the new 740 with turbo i6 315hp? or how slow the s400 hybrid is despite being v6 hybrid?

or could it be you are missing the fact that the a8 actually has a supercharged v6 with 333hp now? the 372 v8 you talked about (i assume that's what you meant) is not even offered anymore from what i see on audiusa.com. let's forget about the w12, if you want v8, you need to go s8, which has a whopping 520hp.

if you want to compare, let's compare what's available in the market now apple to apple.

who is not doing his homework?

Quick Reply: First Impression: 2013 Lexus LS