LS - 4th Gen (2007-2017) Discussion topics related to the current flagship models LS460, LS460L and LS600H

Tire recomendation. HELP

Search this Thread

Old 08-22-12, 02:28 PM
jmcraney

Received 270 Likes on 205 Posts

I just replaced my Bridgestone Turanza EL42s (OEM tires) with Michelin Latitude Tour HP 235/50R18 97V tires. The old tires had 28500 miles and would have gone several more thousand miles.

The new tires have less road noise and a smoother ride. They have symmetrical treads. There is no side pull.

As usual, the installer, Costco over inflated the tires. The morning after installation I set the inflation to the 33 PSI cold inflation recommended by Lexus and benchmarked the TPMS.

I am very happy with these tires.
Old 09-07-12, 02:02 AM
LXurious
Advanced

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

What do you guys feel about Falken 452?
Old 09-07-12, 06:40 AM
jmb1045
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I have the Michelin Pilot® MXM4® Luxury Performance Touring on my 2009 LS RWD and find them very quiet and extremely smooth.
Old 09-11-12, 07:25 PM
Desmogolf
Driver School Candidate

The Dunlop Sport Maxx is apparently the OE tyre for the LS460 in Singapore. It's been whisper quiet so far but we're looking to change them as they're almost 4 years old and have about 4-5mm of tread left. We had in mind the Hankook V12 Evo.
Old 02-09-13, 08:11 PM
Rdmillerrd
Driver School Candidate

OK... So here's my tale of woe.... I bought a 2011 (certified Pre-owned) LS 600h L five months ago with 5k miles and have put another 14k miles on it since then (pretty heavy mileage, mix of city/highway). The OEM tires are EL 42 Turanza. The truth is, the ride is very smooth -- maybe the best ride I've ever had (better than BMW, Mercedes, etc). The inner tread of the front tires is now completely destroyed (kind of scary, actually). I will check the control arm bushing as others suggest and will get a good alignment with a Hawkeye alignment machine. And, I assume I just suck it up and get new tires at less than 20k miles (which seems absurd, but, whatever....). So, the question is, assuming that a whisper quiet, unnaturally smooth ride is the top priority and some reasonable measure of tread wear and longevity is of secondary importance but not immaterial.... WHICH TIRES SHOULD I GET? SHOULD I REPLACE ALL 4 OR JUST THE FRONTS? WHERE SHOULD I GET THEM? SHOULD I ROTATE THEM OR IS THAT OLD FASHIONED? WHAT'S THE OVER/UNDER NUMBER ON EXPECTED MILEAGE FOR THESE NEW KICKS? Many thanks, gang!
Old 02-09-13, 08:17 PM
slorider
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by mike171333
I have the Michelin Pilot® MXM4® Luxury Performance Touring on my 2009 LS AWD and find them very quiet and smooth... a priority for me. However I do live in MO [like the last respondent] and use all weather tires.
I believe you are in Florida and may not need the same all weather qualities.
Good luck

Mike
Been in the tire business many years and this is the one I would go with. MXM4 for luxury performance is awesome all season comfort. Definitely this tire unless you need something super sticky or something. If so, Pilot Super Sports or PS2s are nice, just not good in cold or wet weather. You don't want directional tires on a heavy car like that cuz they chop and wear funny down the road. MXM4s for the win
Old 02-09-13, 08:26 PM
slorider
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by Rdmillerrd
OK... So here's my tale of woe.... I bought a 2011 (certified Pre-owned) LS 600h L five months ago with 5k miles and have put another 14k miles on it since then (pretty heavy mileage, mix of city/highway). The OEM tires are EL 42 Turanza. The truth is, the ride is very smooth -- maybe the best ride I've ever had (better than BMW, Mercedes, etc). The inner tread of the front tires is now completely destroyed (kind of scary, actually). I will check the control arm bushing as others suggest and will get a good alignment with a Hawkeye alignment machine. And, I assume I just suck it up and get new tires at less than 20k miles (which seems absurd, but, whatever....). So, the question is, assuming that a whisper quiet, unnaturally smooth ride is the top priority and some reasonable measure of tread wear and longevity is of secondary importance but not immaterial.... WHICH TIRES SHOULD I GET? SHOULD I REPLACE ALL 4 OR JUST THE FRONTS? WHERE SHOULD I GET THEM? SHOULD I ROTATE THEM OR IS THAT OLD FASHIONED? WHAT'S THE OVER/UNDER NUMBER ON EXPECTED MILEAGE FOR THESE NEW KICKS? Many thanks, gang!
If it's AWD it is suggested to get all 4 at once. If not, put the new ones in the rear...it's safer...I promise. Any tire/service professional will tell you that so screw the ignorant people who risk their loved one's lives because they can't trust that this is true.
A not so wellknown fact about tires is that car manufacturers usually use what are called blemish tires (blems) on new vehicles. The tires are sometimes shaven to be perfectly round and give the best ride possible, but because of this they wear out much faster. That's why 90% of the time, original tires on cars last about half as long the the replacement tires do. So your 19000 miles, though absurdly low, is from a tire that was not installed on the car with it's normal life expectancy. Often about half of that...anyway the MXM4 is a 55k mile tire I think. Definitely best one for the car as far as overall performance/mileage

Last edited by slorider; 02-09-13 at 08:30 PM.
Old 02-10-13, 01:58 PM
Rdmillerrd
Driver School Candidate

Thanks for the help slorider. Take a look at this new thread if you've got a minute.... LS 600h L Wheel Upgrade Help. Would love to get your thoughts.

Old 02-11-13, 06:43 AM
wchain
Pit Crew

Received 27 Likes on 10 Posts

Originally Posted by slorider
Been in the tire business many years and this is the one I would go with. MXM4 for luxury performance is awesome all season comfort. Definitely this tire unless you need something super sticky or something. If so, Pilot Super Sports or PS2s are nice, just not good in cold or wet weather. You don't want directional tires on a heavy car like that cuz they chop and wear funny down the road. MXM4s for the win
The Primacy MXM4 is promising.

The Pilot MXM4 is unimpressive in my opinion. My car had a set of these when I bought them. Installed 15,000 miles before I got the car. They had 4/32" tread left. Marginally better wear than the EL42.

I replaced them with the RE970 by Bridgestone.

Read the surveyed reviews here from tire rack.

Pilot MXM4 is #21/29

http://www.tirerack.com/tires/survey....jsp?type=GTAS