LS - 4th Gen (2007-2017) Discussion topics related to the current flagship models LS460, LS460L and LS600H

Automatic folding side mirror

Search this Thread

Old 08-24-12, 05:33 PM
lbintab
Lexus Test Driver

Received 18 Likes on 18 Posts

Originally Posted by jmcraney
It's sort of confusing, isn't it?

Here's what you need to know.

There are two switches that affect the mirror operation. They are side by side on the dash, to the left of the steering wheel. Let's call the one on the right the "Deployment Switch" and the one on the left the "Adjustment Switch."

The Deployment Switch is a three position switch. When you press the right side it folds the mirrors in. When you press the left side it deploys (folds out) the mirrors. The third position is neutral - between folded and deployed.

The Adjustment Switch is a complex switch, to the left of the Deployment Switch, that has an up-down-left-right operation and a selector for selecting which mirror the up-down-left-right will be applied. If you want to adjust the left mirror then you set the selector to L and if you want to adjust the right mirror you select R. The L-R selector also has a neutral position.

If you want your mirrors to automatically fold and automatically deploy when you lock and unlock your car with the switches in the door handles or the wireless electronic key, then the Deployment Switch must be at neutral and the Adjustment Switch L-R selector must be in either L or R (the L-R selector must not be in neutral).

If you have a garaging situation that requires you to fold your mirrors to get in then you do something like this. As you approach the garage, you use the Deployment Switch to fold the mirrors by pressing the right side of the switch and leave the switch in this position as long as you are in the garage. That way the mirrors will not fold and deploy if you lock and unlock your car while you are in the garage. When you exit the garage use the Deployment Switch to deploy the mirrors by pressing the left side of the switch and return the Deployment Switch to neutral. You will now be set for automatic operation. Remember that the L-R in the Selector Switch must be either L or R and must not be in neutral.
The L/R switch doesn't have to be in the left or right position for the mirrors automatically open and close. All that does is control if the mirrors will angle down when the car is put in reverse. If that switch is in the neutral position it will not angle down and if they are in either Left or Right it will angle down.
Old 08-24-12, 05:48 PM
SBlexus
Lead Lap

Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts

Originally Posted by Grouchy
I went down to the garage, played around with it and it seemed to work. Not sure what I was doing wrong the first time. But thanks again.
Your welcome anytime!!!
Old 08-24-12, 05:49 PM
SBlexus
Lead Lap

Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts

Originally Posted by lbintab
The L/R switch doesn't have to be in the left or right position for the mirrors automatically open and close. All that does is control if the mirrors will angle down when the car is put in reverse. If that switch is in the neutral position it will not angle down and if they are in either Left or Right it will angle down.
That's affirmative
Old 08-24-12, 07:23 PM
jmcraney

Received 271 Likes on 205 Posts

Originally Posted by lbintab
Thank you for straightening me out, my answer was not very good. Your answer is much better and mine is long and confusing. I will delete my answer to reduce the confusion.
Old 08-25-12, 05:59 AM
madlad
Driver

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

After the switch is in the proper positon, Hold the black button on the door (locking the car) and the mirrors should fold in..you don't need to use the fob. I don't even take the fob out of my pocket. If a window or the sunroof is open, hold the black button a little longer and the window(s) and sunroof will close. In ther latter instance you need to keep the button depressed until the winow/sunroof is completely closed. When unlocking the car, I just touch the door handle and the mirrors unfold while the door is being unlocked.

Last edited by madlad; 08-25-12 at 06:02 AM.
Old 10-21-19, 11:29 AM
flipster
Driver School Candidate

My mirrors worked fine. Now it seems stuck? You can tell it’s trying to fold in but won’t. Anyone run into this problem?
Old 10-21-19, 07:20 PM
sha4000
Lexus Test Driver

Received 337 Likes on 290 Posts

I have not seen any threads about the mirror getting stuck but disconnect the battery and see if that resets anything. Most complaints are about the mirrors being loose.
Old 10-21-19, 08:04 PM
dlbuckls10
Racer

Received 97 Likes on 81 Posts

Originally Posted by flipster
My mirrors worked fine. Now it seems stuck? You can tell it’s trying to fold in but won’t. Anyone run into this problem?
I had the same issue with the drivers side mirror and I placed it in the proper position. It worked briefly but stopped and it was replaced under warranty.
Old 10-26-19, 09:52 AM
kernal
10th Gear

Default Stops for the mirrors

I'm having an issue with my passenger mirror..it closes against the window and comes inside if the window is down. Shop said stops were broken and it would take a new one for $1k. I can certainly get a used mirror and install it but I'm hesitant to do that when I don't know where the stops are since maybe they could be fixed. Does anyone know where these stops are or where there's a parts breakdown of the mirror?
2010 460LS