LS - 4th Gen (2007-2017) Discussion topics related to the current flagship models LS460, LS460L and LS600H

Car says its overheating then goes back to normal??!?!?! WTF

Search this Thread

Old 11-08-22, 05:39 PM
Flojo805
2nd gear

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

The fix was a replacement of the water pump.
The following users liked this post:
swfla (11-09-22)
Old 09-11-23, 08:07 AM
seanl
Intermediate

Received 10 Likes on 9 Posts

I have a 2012 460 Sport (108K miles), and experienced the spiking temp gauge and dash warning while driving at 70mph on the freeway. But as soon as the warning went on, it quickly went off and the temp gauge dropped back to it's normal position. I was quickly able to exit the freeway and turn off the car. When I popped the hood, there was nothing out of the ordinary, no coolant smell, no coolant leaking, no hot smell, hood felt cool (ambient temp was around 60 degrees).

I started the car up, runs and sounds fine, so I continued my drive to the office where I immediately checked the Forum. So consensus is that it's either the thermostat, water pump, or valley plate..I will bring the car to my local indy repair shop hopefully tomorrow. Low coolant light has not turned on either.
Old 10-02-23, 11:04 AM
HZakiH3
5th Gear

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Same problem here!

Originally Posted by powermar
I'm having this exact same problem, and while OP didn't deliver on his promise, hopefully someone else with this issue can help.

While it might be the thermo, the needle stays dead steady in the middle 99.9% of the time. Then when I go uphill it spikes up to the max within 2-3 seconds and I get the dash alarm. Then after a few seconds, it drops back down to normal, again within 2-3 seconds, and stays there for a long while (hours). I wouldn't think there is anything the thermo could do to change the temperature that rapidly, so I was suspecting the sensor or the gauge.

Of course I'm taking it into the dealer later today or tomorrow, but just wanted to see if anyone else had the solution. With it happening so infrequently, I'm worried the dealer may not be able to make a diagnosis.

Were you able to find a solution? I have the same issue and have already tried replacing the thermostat. Seemed to have worked for a few weeks but now it’s doing it again.

There seems to be no rhyme or rhythm to it. Just randomly goes up and then comes back down fairly quickly.

Had a pressure test done as well and they found no leaks.

Last edited by HZakiH3; 10-02-23 at 11:30 AM.
Old 10-02-23, 11:26 AM
seanl
Intermediate

Received 10 Likes on 9 Posts

Originally Posted by HZakiH3
Were you able to find a solution? I have the same issue and have already tried replacing the thermostat. Seemed to have worked for a few weeks but now it’s doing it again. There seems to be no rhyme or rhythm to it. Just randomly goes up and then comes back down fairly quickly.
My issue was low coolant, as I haven't checked it or topped it off in several years. My local indy shop tells me that he tops off LS460 coolant at every oil change --but I've been changing my oil since I bought the car in 2016/17, so my bad. A bigger question is why would the car consume any coolant? The valley plate would see to be a likely culprit but there's no signs or smells of any coolant leaking.

I assume your coolant is full and stays full?
Old 10-02-23, 11:27 AM
HZakiH3
5th Gear

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by seanl
My issue was low coolant, as I haven't checked it or topped it off in several years. My local indy shop tells me that he tops off LS460 coolant at every oil change --but I've been changing my oil since I bought the car in 2016/17, so my bad. A bigger question is why would the car consume any coolant? The valley plate would see to be a likely culprit but there's no signs or smells of any coolant leaking.

I assume your coolant is full and stays full?
yeah, should have mentioned I got a pressure test as well and they found no leaks.
Old 10-02-23, 11:45 AM
swfla
Lead Lap

Received 1,275 Likes on 985 Posts

The coolant reservoir cap has a gasket/oring that can go bad. It is supposed to hold pressure. A new cap is inexpensive. Pressure test doesn't test the cap as it's removed to do the test. Once air gets into the system, it can create these symptoms. Just because you can't find a leak doesn't mean there isn't one. Take this opportunity to replace the coolant, it's probably overdue. The tech will purge all air out as well. It'd be great if we could talk through this to find a cause, but sometimes you just need to go hands on with a few inexpensive maintenance/repairs. Have you replaced the temp sensor? What if it's malfunctioning?
HZakiH3 (10-03-23)
Old 10-02-23, 01:27 PM
Protholl
Instructor

Received 175 Likes on 146 Posts

Originally Posted by swfla
The coolant reservoir cap has a gasket/oring that can go bad. It is supposed to hold pressure. A new cap is inexpensive. Pressure test doesn't test the cap as it's removed to do the test. Once air gets into the system, it can create these symptoms. Just because you can't find a leak doesn't mean there isn't one. Take this opportunity to replace the coolant, it's probably overdue. The tech will purge all air out as well. It'd be great if we could talk through this to find a cause, but sometimes you just need to go hands on with a few inexpensive maintenance/repairs. Have you replaced the temp sensor? What if it's malfunctioning?
I treat the radiator cap as a maintenance item on my vehicles. I replace them every 3 years. I also replace the gas cap every five years or so. It's cheap insurance. Oh... and always OEM.
swfla (10-02-23)
Old 10-02-23, 07:44 PM
lexo98
Racer

Received 273 Likes on 235 Posts

If at some point the coolant runs low and you refill you can trap air in the system. The air traveling thru will mess with the fans and temp sensors. Depending how much air you can overheat. Look up burping the cooling system.