LS - 4th Gen (2007-2017) Discussion topics related to the current flagship models LS460, LS460L and LS600H

Buying used ls460... How do I know ODO not tampered with

Search this Thread

Old 09-15-12, 05:39 PM
ServiceGuy
Driver

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Buying used ls460... How do I know ODO not tampered with

Hi guys...

Never bought used before.

Are cars nowadays easily messed with like older cars... I remember in high school guys would just pull a cable and the miles won't roll... Then when they sold the car they would just go get an obd and clear the ck eng light

Looking at used ls460... Don't wanna get fooled/scammed
Old 09-15-12, 07:06 PM
OSU
Pole Position

R U serious? Is this a fear of yours? Is there a car you're looking at that is an 08 with 10 miles on it?
Old 09-15-12, 07:29 PM
adamls2
Lexus Champion

Received 9 Likes on 8 Posts

Lol that's why there's Carfax and auto check. Make sure you look at the history and try to find a car that has an extensive service history without any long gaps. Also, when you see the car in person play as much around in it as possible. Press all buttons and look for out of the ordinary things, or even just things that don't seem right to you. Hope this helps a bit. Good luck on your search!
Old 09-15-12, 09:30 PM
Lextrician
Lexus Test Driver

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

there is things that you can look at and unless it is a 20 to 30 thousand miles difference you have to do some math. the average driver does 16000 miles per year so just think about that, not being said that there is not other ways but lexus database will tell you about the service history for at least the first years. i think you will okay if you have any questions post it up.
Old 09-15-12, 10:30 PM
Dave Mac
Racer

Received 72 Likes on 64 Posts

Odometer tampering is much more involved than it was years ago and easier to detect so I wouldn't be overly concerned - not saying it doesn't happen. There is the service history on a Lexus and CarFax. And there is still the old adage - if it looks too good to be true it probably isn't. I think I would be more concerned with prior damage or in some parts of the country flood damage than odometer tampering. And Carfax is not a guarantee so still give it a good look.

Dave Mac
Old 09-16-12, 02:40 AM
Kira X
美少女戦士セーラームーン

Received 423 Likes on 347 Posts

I'd imagine it would be tough to mess with the mileage on a newer Lexus. You can always check Carfax, Autocheck, and through the Lexus Owners website to verify records.

The only time I've seen this be a problem is on the old school ES' and SC's where people would swap out the gauge clusters.
Old 09-16-12, 05:21 AM
milellie11
Intermediate

Received 15 Likes on 11 Posts

Originally Posted by OSU
R U serious? Is this a fear of yours? Is there a car you're looking at that is an 08 with 10 miles on it?
What's your deal guy? Take your trolling elsewhere to another forum. You add little to no value here. I've read your past few posts on this forum and all of them reek of trollish behavior, unnecessary negative bashing and self centerdness. Your act is tired and lame here. I've noticed posters on here have just ignored you, but you're becoming to be an annoyance and sound like an idiot due to your childish posts. Do you even own a Lexus? Perhaps you are in the wrong forum. I suggest you shape up your posts and act more civil before you're thrown off this site.

I'm sure the mods would love to see how you've been posting.
Old 09-16-12, 06:26 AM
CJITTY
Lead Lap

Received 150 Likes on 112 Posts

^^^^ oh snap!!

As far as tampering worries , by using the free service records check on the owner section of Lexus.com that shows mileage for each line item and carfax(usually free) and autocheck for reported mileage from inspections, dealer visits and title info ...you should be confident in the mileage if there is a consistent increase in mileage. These newer cars don't have the old school speeedo cable. All software these days and I have been told Toyota/Lexus code is hard to crack . I think service history and getting one fully loaded should be more of a concern. Good luck!
Old 09-16-12, 08:06 AM
toyo
Intermediate

Received 8 Likes on 6 Posts

It is possible, but extremely costly. One must replace ECM's, ECU's etc. I would not fret, especially is this type of vehicle.
Old 09-16-12, 08:55 AM
ServiceGuy
Driver

thanks for the info guys.. i know someone at a dealership.. i guess to ease my mind, i would just have to look for one with a great service history.. and no gaps.

i'll probably have to pay for a two hour inspection too.. just to make sure all body parts original.

also, i heard if there are a lot of parts with part numbers, that means that particular part has been replaced.. and it should throw up a red flag, if there are a lot of parts in the same area with part numbers..
Old 09-16-12, 09:04 AM
CJITTY
Lead Lap

Received 150 Likes on 112 Posts

Lots of solid cars have been bumped in parking lots, owners backing into their own cars in driveways etc etc. Be concerned about frame damage. If a panel was replaced or painted its not always a bad thing. Many solid used cars are not factory fresh so don't miss an opportunity because there are a few parts here and there. Many of the good LS deals are cars that are going on 5 years old..but, there are some mint ones out there that have been babied but you will pay top dollar for them
Old 09-16-12, 09:40 AM
Nospinzone

Received 416 Likes on 322 Posts

In Massachusetts cars have to be inspected once a year. As part of the inspection the mileage has to be recorded and this can be researched. Of course it is possible that the inspection station could be in collusion with the car owner, but it is unlikely.

But as others have mentioned, the service records are your best check on mileage.
Old 09-16-12, 11:05 AM
jlawr
Lead Lap

Received 22 Likes on 14 Posts

Originally Posted by Nospinzone
In Massachusetts cars have to be inspected once a year. As part of the inspection the mileage has to be recorded and this can be researched. Of course it is possible that the inspection station could be in collusion with the car owner, but it is unlikely.

But as others have mentioned, the service records are your best check on mileage.
Same is true in Texas. You can read the mileage on the windshield inspection sticker.
Old 09-16-12, 11:17 AM
Silverpaws
Intermediate

Received 20 Likes on 18 Posts

Originally Posted by milellie11
What's your deal guy? Take your trolling elsewhere to another forum. You add little to no value here. I've read your past few posts on this forum and all of them reek of trollish behavior, unnecessary negative bashing and self centerdness. Your act is tired and lame here. I've noticed posters on here have just ignored you, but you're becoming to be an annoyance and sound like an idiot due to your childish posts. Do you even own a Lexus? Perhaps you are in the wrong forum. I suggest you shape up your posts and act more civil before you're thrown off this site.

You took the words right out of my mouth. The OP had a valid question.
Old 09-16-12, 01:23 PM
OSU
Pole Position

Originally Posted by milellie11

Not trying to get in a pissing match with you or anyone else here. This is suppose to be an enthusiast site but a lot of the post aren't enthusiastic at all. If you don't like my post, ignore them just as you said. There's nothing enthusiastic about questioning odometer roll backs. What happened to the good post? I'm far from childish so keep your insults to your self. These along with many of the other topics really aren't enthusiast posts. And by the way, I have a modded out 2008 LS 460 so don't question me in that regards either.

I think I'm being very civil in comparison on what I could be saying.

Quick Reply: Buying used ls460... How do I know ODO not tampered with