LS - 4th Gen (2007-2017) Discussion topics related to the current flagship models LS460, LS460L and LS600H

Battery/Auto Headlight problem

Search this Thread

Old 10-10-12, 08:18 AM
LownerS
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Battery/Auto Headlight problem

I have seen several posts concerning the auto headlights not working correctly but mine is really strange. I had a dead battery, had it replaced and then started paying attention to the headlights to make sure they turned off. Everything was fine until one morning, another dead battery! Had battery and electrical checked and no problems were found. Dealership reprogrammed headlights to turn off when driver door opened and everything seemed fine for a while. Went on vacation and left car in parking garage at airport for a week and came back to dead battery. Had it jumped and then checked, no problems found. After that I didn't trust the auto feature and turned headlights off manually. Recently, I turned the headlights to auto and parked in my garage. Lights went out when the driver door opened as expected. Later (at least an hour later, maybe more) I took the new puppy out for a walk and noticed that the lights were on in the garage. Opened garage door and surprise, headlights were on! Something is really screwy to allow the headlights to come on by themselves. Dealer can't find any problems and claims he has never heard of this in any service bulletins, but this is certainly the mystery cause of my dead battery.
Old 10-10-12, 06:43 PM
FLYCT

Received 13 Likes on 10 Posts

Originally Posted by LownerS
I have seen several posts concerning the auto headlights not working correctly but mine is really strange. I had a dead battery, had it replaced and then started paying attention to the headlights to make sure they turned off. Everything was fine until one morning, another dead battery! Had battery and electrical checked and no problems were found. Dealership reprogrammed headlights to turn off when driver door opened and everything seemed fine for a while. Went on vacation and left car in parking garage at airport for a week and came back to dead battery. Had it jumped and then checked, no problems found. After that I didn't trust the auto feature and turned headlights off manually. Recently, I turned the headlights to auto and parked in my garage. Lights went out when the driver door opened as expected. Later (at least an hour later, maybe more) I took the new puppy out for a walk and noticed that the lights were on in the garage. Opened garage door and surprise, headlights were on! Something is really screwy to allow the headlights to come on by themselves. Dealer can't find any problems and claims he has never heard of this in any service bulletins, but this is certainly the mystery cause of my dead battery.
I just got my LS back from service. The switch on the driver door was Intermitant causing lights to stay on.

See if your door curtesy light switches are working 100% of the time.
Old 10-10-12, 06:45 PM
FLYCT

Received 13 Likes on 10 Posts

Check out the YouTube videos on this link
https://www.clublexus.com/forums/ls4...-wont-set.html

JR
Old 10-15-12, 05:02 AM
LownerS
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

FLYCT- I have seen the other posts and understand the door switch problem. As I said in my post however, I saw my headlights go out and then later they had come back on when the car was parked in the garage.
Old 10-15-12, 07:54 AM
jmcraney

Received 271 Likes on 205 Posts

Originally Posted by LownerS
FLYCT- I have seen the other posts and understand the door switch problem. As I said in my post however, I saw my headlights go out and then later they had come back on when the car was parked in the garage.
In your first post you indicated that your dealer has set your customizable auto-off delay to zero. And, in that post you said that the lights went off when you "opened" the door. I am trying to imagine how the lights would come back on . Would you confirm that the lights went off when you opened the door as opposed to going off when you closed the door.