LS - 4th Gen (2007-2017) Discussion topics related to the current flagship models LS460, LS460L and LS600H

Looking for an after market starting battery for ls 600hl

Search this Thread

Old 10-16-12, 11:05 AM
patgilm
Lead Lap

Received 285 Likes on 202 Posts

Originally Posted by lexus600hl
You have a 2008 LS 600hl, yes? Did you replace the battery yet?
I do but I have not replaced the battery yet and it is the original battery.

Last edited by patgilm; 10-16-12 at 11:23 AM.
Old 10-17-12, 06:54 AM
lexus600hl
Pole Position

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

http://lexus.sewellparts.com/oem-cat...600h-2008.html

someone on another forum told me that I could get it from sewell for $356, including shipping, if I were a clublexus member (otherwise, the cost is $390).
Old 10-17-12, 11:59 AM
Lextrician
Lexus Test Driver

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

its easy to sign up!! get on it..
Old 10-17-12, 10:04 PM
TNLS600hL
Rookie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Yes I had my battery replaced not too long ago. Fortunately the car was 2 weeks past the end of waranty period and the dealer still honored it and replaced it free. It is a 500+ battery and dealer parts told me they didn't have any aftermarket alternatives. They weren't sure as to why it is so much more expensive vs a regular LS battery but I did notice there was an extra wire or tube connecting to it. I had to show proof to the dealer the battery was dying as they tested twice once overnight and told me the battery was working as it should. But when I leave it at home and start it sometimes i had a hard time starting and when it did start, it would starts to discharge and voltage dropped. I had the voltage dropped recorded and showed to the dealer and so they decided to drain the battery and replace it so i don't have to keep on coming back for it. Good luck finding an aftermarket one and let me know if you do!

The best price i've seen is with a Club Lexus discounts from sewell.
Old 10-18-12, 06:45 PM
Hawaii60
Driver School Candidate

There is an extra wire for the battery that supposedly monitors temperature of the battery as it is charging. You could get by with an aftermarket battery, however the system may overcharge the battery, you can feel the heat when it does this. The technician at Lexus Hi told me this, however, I couldn't see an extra wire running into the battery only the extra sensor(wire) on the terminal. And yes it is very expensive up to $500.00. Had mine replaced under warranty and that was what was quoted.
Old 01-31-13, 04:58 PM
LXurious
Advanced

Just replaced my battery in my 600 with a group 27F Die Hard Gold from sears. Paid 130 out the door had a CCA of 710 and RC of 160. I chose it over optima and die hard platinum mainly because the OEM battery is rated at 660 CCA So my starting needs were met, not to mention I live in California and my car has never seen less than 32 degrees.

Also because while the other batteries had higher CCA's I have an after market sound system in my car so I needed the highest reserve capacity if the car is ever cruising slow running on the battery so it wont drain it. While some people say gel batteries are better especially those with the deep cycles, I wish I had 2 cars to try both on but I went with the highest RC which was 160 over the platinum and optima which only had 135. Just thought I'd chime in for any 600 owners curious about replacing their battery.
Old 09-07-13, 07:31 AM
lexus600hl
Pole Position

Bump.. Winter is coming and I would prefer to replace my 5 year old battery.
The dealer tried to install an interstate but dashboard warning lights came up. So he had to remove it and re-install the old/original battery. He didn't know what to do with the third/temp wire.
Anyone else installed an after market battery? What did you do with the third wire?
Old 09-07-13, 09:05 AM
SSAUDIOcom
Rookie

check out these batteries

http://store.soundsolutionsaudio.com...batteries.html

give xs a call for more information

http://www.4xspower.com
Old 09-07-13, 09:06 AM
SSAUDIOcom
Rookie

Bump.. Winter is coming and I would prefer to replace my 5 year old battery.
The dealer tried to install an interstate but dashboard warning lights came up. So he had to remove it and re-install the old/original battery. He didn't know what to do with the third/temp wire.
Anyone else installed an after market battery? What did you do with the third wire?
is it a 12v/16v combo battery?
Old 09-09-13, 05:17 AM
lexus600hl
Pole Position

Originally Posted by SSAUDIOcom
is it a 12v/16v combo battery?
Its a 12 v car battery.. a typical group (I think 24) battery.. except lexus/panasonic battery has s temperature sensor and there is a pair of wires connecting to this sensor. The problem is, what to do with this pair of wires. If this is disconnected, we get alarm light in the dash.
Old 09-09-13, 01:32 PM
SSAUDIOcom
Rookie

Its a 12 v car battery.. a typical group (I think 24) battery.. except lexus/panasonic battery has s temperature sensor and there is a pair of wires connecting to this sensor. The problem is, what to do with this pair of wires. If this is disconnected, we get alarm light in the dash.
Can you post a picture of the battery with the sensor in the photo?
Old 09-09-13, 01:40 PM
CJITTY
Lead Lap

Received 150 Likes on 112 Posts

Originally Posted by SSAUDIOcom
Can you post a picture of the battery with the sensor in the photo?
SSAUDIO, you realize this is a unique battery found in the LS600hL hybrid models only right? It goes in the left rear of trunk in quarter panel area
Old 09-10-13, 08:38 AM
SSAUDIOcom
Rookie

Originally Posted by CJITTY
SSAUDIO, you realize this is a unique battery found in the LS600hL hybrid models only right? It goes in the left rear of trunk in quarter panel area
Didn't know that, but I can help find a possible replacement from XS power. I work closely with them with my online store. Worth a shot.
Old 09-13-13, 02:34 PM
whitetooth
Pole Position

My Panasonic battery was 4 years old as it was not longer strong enough. All hybrid (not traction i mean) batteries are expensive. No idea why. Additional, there is a pipe from battery to outside to keep the trunk free of battery gas.
Old 09-16-13, 06:37 AM
lexus600hl
Pole Position

Originally Posted by whitetooth
My Panasonic battery was 4 years old as it was not longer strong enough. All hybrid (not traction i mean) batteries are expensive. No idea why. Additional, there is a pipe from battery to outside to keep the trunk free of battery gas.
You are correct.. These batteries are expensive, probably because of limited volume/applications. Frankly, if I think about it, $400 is not too bad for a new battery for a $135,000 car! Lexus is actually being quite reasonable. They could have screwed us for $1000 and we would have had no choice...

Initially, I thought I should not worry too much about the replacement battery not having the battery vent pipe. Many cars, including my jaguar, now have battery in trunk, without any vent pipe.

How ever, my ls600 has airconditioning unit in the trunk also. I wonder if there is an additional (minor) risk? Not sure..

I was unable to get an answer as to how the other person solved the 3rd wire problem. Therefore, I might as well just buy the lexus battery, at the next service interval.

Quick Reply: Looking for an after market starting battery for ls 600hl