LS - 4th Gen (2007-2017) Discussion topics related to the current flagship models LS460, LS460L and LS600H

Looking for an after market starting battery for ls 600hl

Search this Thread

Old 10-14-12, 07:45 AM
lexus600hl
Pole Position

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
Default Looking for an after market starting battery for ls 600hl

The starting battery for the LS 600hl (which is in the trunk) goes for around $500 at lexus dealership.
Is there an after market sources for this?
Thanks
Old 10-14-12, 01:13 PM
Dryrunner
Rookie

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

Wow, and I thought my wife's Cayenne battery the dealer wanted $450 was expensive. Luckily, Duralast makes one for the cayenne.
Old 10-14-12, 03:35 PM
Craig B
Pole Position

Received 54 Likes on 38 Posts

Check with an Interstate dealer, or check with Auto Zone. I don't know what kind of battery the 600 has.
Old 10-14-12, 03:46 PM
CJITTY
Lead Lap

Received 150 Likes on 112 Posts

Optima Red Top. I'm assuming it will work and what I plan to get next time if compatible
Old 10-15-12, 05:13 AM
lexus600hl
Pole Position

Originally Posted by CJITTY
Optima Red Top. I'm assuming it will work and what I plan to get next time if compatible
Your ls 600hl is same model year as mine. Are you going to wait for another year, before you change the battery? I live in wisconsin and thought that I would change it now, since its 4 years old. In fact, I have two LS 600Hls. The dealer checked the battery condition for both and said that they were fine. I am a bit nervous that they are both 4 years old. BTW, my cars are the same color as yours - they are Nieman Marcus launch edition. Is yours also the nieman marcus launch edition?
Old 10-15-12, 05:19 AM
lexus600hl
Pole Position

CJITTY, i just saw the pics of your car. I like your wheels.. Nice! My cars came with very nice wheels from factory - the nieman marcus edition comes with special wheels. I had always disliked Lexus factory wheels - uintil these nieman marcus edition.. I also had a 2007 LS 460l. I had put after market wheels and they were horrible! The wheels bent very quickly.. chinese wheels I guess! - what do you expect? lol. Your vossens look very nice!
Old 10-15-12, 09:48 AM
CJITTY
Lead Lap

Originally Posted by lexus600hl
CJITTY, i just saw the pics of your car. I like your wheels.. Nice! My cars came with very nice wheels from factory - the nieman marcus edition comes with special wheels. I had always disliked Lexus factory wheels - uintil these nieman marcus edition.. I also had a 2007 LS 460l. I had put after market wheels and they were horrible! The wheels bent very quickly.. chinese wheels I guess! - what do you expect? lol. Your vossens look very nice!
Thanks man..yeah, I love my Vossens! The compliments I receive daily are great. In fact, I work at a large facility and on numerious occassions I have come out to my car and people are there looking at it up close and then proceed to ask me about the wheels..factories wheels are great, but I have always had aftermarket wheels just to stand apart..plus they fill up the wheel wells a litle better

As far as the battery, I bought my 2008 as a CPO and it was replaced according to the service records earlier this year prior to me buying it..so, next time I am in for service I will just have them test it to be sure but I have no concerns. I don't know yet if there is anything "special" about this battery compared to a regular battery. The Optima Red Top I had in my Acura TL was installed back in 2006 for about $175 or less from Sams Club and my friend who just bought my last year and still has no battery issues. I had numerous accessories like HID front and rear fog lights, aftermarket stereo, amps, etc and it is still working great..even with cold Colorado winters its first two years.
Old 10-15-12, 02:04 PM
Craig B
Pole Position

Received 54 Likes on 38 Posts

They don't make an Optima Red Top for the LS 460. I don't know about the 600. I have an Interstate battery installed by my Lexus dealer that's labeled Lexus in my LS 460. My battery had a bad cell in my GX 460 and it takes the same battery as my LS 460. Optima doesn't make a battery for the GX 460 either.
Old 10-15-12, 02:36 PM
lexus600hl
Pole Position

Originally Posted by Craig B
They don't make an Optima Red Top for the LS 460. I don't know about the 600. I have an Interstate battery installed by my Lexus dealer that's labeled Lexus in my LS 460. My battery had a bad cell in my GX 460 and it takes the same battery as my LS 460. Optima doesn't make a battery for the GX 460 either.
Batteries for hybrid cars are probably different - the starting battery..
I am specifically interested in the battery LS600hl. Since I have two of the same cars, I thought it was worth trying to find an after market battery.

Last edited by lexus600hl; 10-15-12 at 02:47 PM.
Old 10-15-12, 02:46 PM
lexus600hl
Pole Position

Originally Posted by CJITTY
Thanks man..yeah, I love my Vossens! The compliments I receive daily are great. In fact, I work at a large facility and on numerious occassions I have come out to my car and people are there looking at it up close and then proceed to ask me about the wheels..factories wheels are great, but I have always had aftermarket wheels just to stand apart..plus they fill up the wheel wells a litle better

As far as the battery, I bought my 2008 as a CPO and it was replaced according to the service records earlier this year prior to me buying it..so, next time I am in for service I will just have them test it to be sure but I have no concerns. I don't know yet if there is anything "special" about this battery compared to a regular battery. The Optima Red Top I had in my Acura TL was installed back in 2006 for about $175 or less from Sams Club and my friend who just bought my last year and still has no battery issues. I had numerous accessories like HID front and rear fog lights, aftermarket stereo, amps, etc and it is still working great..even with cold Colorado winters its first two years.
did you have to do any mods to the car to install vossen wheels? I assume the ride is much harder?
Old 10-16-12, 04:21 AM
CJITTY
Lead Lap

did you have to do any mods to the car to install vossen wheels? I assume the ride is much harder?
No mods required. If you do 22x9 all around, get 265/30/22 tires. If you go staggered like me, go 255/30/22 front and 295/25/22 rear. For the 9" wide wheel it will be +30 offset and if you do 10.5" wheel in rear, you will need the +38 offset. The new line of CV1s in 9" wide have the 30 offset instead of 35. The CV1s are back ordered last I heard but worth the wait. And yes, when losing over and inch of sidewall it will be a rougher ride but I deal with perfectly smooth roads on a daily basis and it rides fine to me..not as good as 19s, but passengers never complain about it being a harsh ride. Its all about the tires. I recommend Nitto Invos..they are sold as a luxury performance tire and have great reviews and a great looking tread pattern. I have Continental DWS tires for nearly a year and tons of tread left even on a lowered LS and they are great too..the only problem is they don't come in a 255/30 size if you staggered..the Invos do have that size and will be my next tire once I burn these Contis down

Last edited by CJITTY; 10-16-12 at 07:17 AM.
Old 10-16-12, 05:53 AM
lexus600hl
Pole Position

back to batteries for the ls 600hl.. anyone else with ideas?
Old 10-16-12, 06:57 AM
patgilm
Lead Lap

Received 283 Likes on 201 Posts

The dealer checked the battery condition for both and said that they were fine. I am a bit nervous that they are both 4 years old.
Given that the dealer checked the battery and determined both were fine I wouldn't think it would be an issue. For most of my cars, the batteries lasted for 7 years so you may be ok.
Old 10-16-12, 07:14 AM
CJITTY
Lead Lap

back to batteries for the ls 600hl.. anyone else with ideas?
According to the other Rx and Prius hybrid forums, they have installed a standard battery that matches size and terminal position of the starter battery with no problem. In fact, one user installed a Optima Yellow Top battery which is a deep cycle gel battery that allows greater capacity to run accessories while the car is off. They are used by many with amps and stereo setups. The hybrid system uses the inverter to convert the high power down to 12 volts that provides the charge back to the battery in the trunk. So, with that said, I plan on doing the Optima Red Top or Yellow top when it is time for me to change mine. I found all that out by taking some time on google and researching posts by actual people who have done it. And even the Yellow Top battery is much cheaper than the factory battery which appears to be nothing more than a standard 12v battery found in cars, just perhaps a smaller form factor to fit in the trunk
Old 10-16-12, 11:02 AM
lexus600hl
Pole Position

Originally Posted by patgilm
Given that the dealer checked the battery and determined both were fine I wouldn't think it would be an issue. For most of my cars, the batteries lasted for 7 years so you may be ok.
You have a 2008 LS 600hl, yes? Did you replace the battery yet?

Quick Reply: Looking for an after market starting battery for ls 600hl