LS - 4th Gen (2007-2017) Discussion topics related to the current flagship models LS460, LS460L and LS600H

Dealer put 5w-30 in my Ls 460, instead of 5w-20

Search this Thread

Old 10-18-12, 12:47 PM
CJITTY
Lead Lap

Received 150 Likes on 112 Posts

Originally Posted by Smoothe1
Update: I took my Ls for a test drive today and now it is driving sluggish. I have to press down too hard in order for it to accelerate. Im currently waiting on the Service Manager to call me back....beyond furious
What dealership here in GA?
Old 10-18-12, 12:56 PM
Smoothe1
Driver School Candidate

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Toyota in Union City
Old 10-18-12, 01:08 PM
CJITTY
Lead Lap

Received 150 Likes on 112 Posts

Originally Posted by Smoothe1
Toyota in Union City
Oh that's right, you went to Toyota..I was going to do that back in the day and try to save money but when I called the Toyota dealer here and they challenged me on the # of quarts..telling me it was 5 quarts and not 9.1..i quickly realized they need to stick to Camry's and Rav4s..so, I paid the $30 to have the Lexus dealer put in the Mobil1 synthetic oil I bought from Walmart....damn, that sux you are having this issue!! Although I have heard bad things about Lexus of South Atlanta customer service, perhaps it would be fine enough to travel over there to have them do your oil changes from now on..or just have it done at Hennessey Atlanta the next time you are in ATL..just schedule that into your day

Side note, here is the link to the Tee's Luxury Car Meet III taking place on Sun Oct 28 at Stone Mtn Park...https://www.clublexus.com/forums/sou...-meet-iii.html

Make sure to come through! We have about 60+ RSVPs last I remember on our Facebook Event Page and it will be a great time.
Old 10-18-12, 01:47 PM
Smoothe1
Driver School Candidate

I was trying to save some money too. I normally go to Formula 1 in Smyrna. Well, i drove it again and it seems back to normal, and I used my scantool to check for codes and there were none. So ill go and buy that Mobil1 synthetic from Walmart and get the oil changed again in the morning. Enough of this depressing stuff. I'm going to check out that link and look for the Facebook Event Page. I really appreciate all the feedback.

Hey quick question. I checked the oil and it didnt appear to be low. But wouldn't a light come on if the oil was low? Your previous post about their lack of knowledge about oil quantity has me concerned.

Last edited by Smoothe1; 10-18-12 at 01:58 PM.
Old 10-18-12, 01:56 PM
JFNash
Lead Lap

Received 11 Likes on 10 Posts

Your car is fine. It's not that you're driving without oil or the oil was messed up or didn't do the job it's supposed to do, but it just was a little "off specs". The engine might have been going through a conditioning phase (getting used to the new oil) if that was even a thing.

Just don't worry about it. Your car is fine.

When you replace the oil again, replace the oil filter with it to bring the whole thing to closure.
Old 10-18-12, 02:11 PM
Smoothe1
Driver School Candidate

@ JFNASH....WILLL DO! Thanks
Old 06-24-18, 12:55 AM
Dolph1
Pit Crew

Received 17 Likes on 14 Posts

I’ve just had this experience myself. Recently had my first oil change at the dealer on my 2013 460. The service was complimentary as this is a recently purchased cpo car. My ownerss manual clearly recommends synthetic. I just assumed they would put synthetic in since it is recommended. Conventional 5w30 was used. The owners manual indicates conventional can be used but 5w20 so they used the wrong conventional.

In the future I will be sure to explicitly request
Synthetic but does anyone else find it strange a Lexus dealer didn’t use the recommended oil?
Old 06-24-18, 03:54 AM
Doublebase
Pole Position

Received 354 Likes on 244 Posts

Originally Posted by Dolph1
I’ve just had this experience myself. Recently had my first oil change at the dealer on my 2013 460. The service was complimentary as this is a recently purchased cpo car. My ownerss manual clearly recommends synthetic. I just assumed they would put synthetic in since it is recommended. Conventional 5w30 was used. The owners manual indicates conventional can be used but 5w20 so they used the wrong conventional.

In the future I will be sure to explicitly request
Synthetic but does anyone else find it strange a Lexus dealer didn’t use the recommended oil?
Now I'll probably be the first one to tell you, never trust a dealer, but it IS strange that they didn't use 0w20 synthetic (simply because it's probably the most popular oil for the manufacture right now).

5w30 is an oil I see less and less of nowadays, especially in the Lexus brand. You'd almost have to go out of your way to put it into a car at a dealer. But yeah I guess I'm not shocked.

Most dealers i see now have two "house brand" oils...usually a 5w30 and a 5w20 (0w20 in some cases). Then they sell - or try to upsell - Mobil 1, or some other name brand like Penzoil Platinum. Some Toyota dealers do use genuine Toyota full synthetic, but even then that's not even close to always being the case.

Many dealers I've seen use young techs who are in a training program, perform their oil changes and tire rotations (something to keep in mind too).
Old 06-24-18, 06:26 AM
Dolph1
Pit Crew

Photo of my engine cap clearly shows 5w30 is not a recommended option.I’m going to call the dealer this week and ask if there was a reason they deviated from one of the two recommended oils. The car has 36k and it is the first time it has seen conventional as I have all prior service records.
Old 06-25-18, 03:37 PM
sktn77a
Lead Lap

Received 303 Likes on 264 Posts

Recently had my first oil change at the dealer on my 2013 460. The service was complimentary as this is a recently purchased cpo car. My ownerss manual clearly recommends synthetic. I just assumed they would put synthetic in since it is recommended. Conventional 5w30 was used.
They aren't getting any significant profit from the CPO service so they are cutting corners. The CPO oil changes are every 10,000 miles so take it back and insist on 0W-20 synthetic. Dino oil must be changed every 5000 miles (per Toyota/Lexus).
Old 07-06-18, 04:07 PM
Dolph1
Pit Crew

So I spoke to the dealer this week. Long story short they told me they put 5w20 conventional in my 2013 LS, not 5w30 conventional. The invoice indicates 5w30 conventional was used. I’m content with the 5w20 since Lexus provides 4 complimentary services in the first 2 years for CPOs so for the low miles I drive an oil change every 6 months is fine. I have chosen to believe they put the 5w20 in my car even though the invoice says differently since they have been really good to me recently with warranty work - some may think I’m naive for believing I’m sure. When it’s on my dime I’ll go synthetic and do it annually since I’ll drive only a few K a year with this car.
Old 07-06-18, 04:20 PM
Doublebase
Pole Position

So I spoke to the dealer this week. Long story short they told me they put 5w20 conventional in my 2013 LS, not 5w30 conventional. The invoice indicates 5w30 conventional was used. I’m content with the 5w20 since Lexus provides 4 complimentary services in the first 2 years for CPOs so for the low miles I drive an oil change every 6 months is fine. I have chosen to believe they put the 5w20 in my car even though the invoice says differently since they have been really good to me recently with warranty work - some may think I’m naive for believing I’m sure. When it’s on my dime I’ll go synthetic and do it annually since I’ll drive only a few K a year with this car.
You could send the oil out to get it tested, cost you $25 bucks, that way you know either to trust them, or never to trust them again. Plus you can put them on blast if it comes back as a 5w30.
Old 07-06-18, 06:42 PM
SW17LS
Lexus Fanatic

Received 2,700 Likes on 1,937 Posts

The manual specifIes 0W20 synthetic. I would make the dealer use that, I would take it back.

the 20 vs 30 is not the issue. The issue is the conventional vs synthetic. I would not run that oil for 10k miles.
The following users liked this post:
Marc780 (10-19-23)
Old 07-22-18, 12:54 PM
jdanielca
Pole Position

Received 212 Likes on 190 Posts

So is it supposed to be 0W20 or 5W20 ? And is it always supposed to be synthetic? Does synthetic get better mileage? I read some thread that using synthetic was bad for a particular guys mileage. I am getting very horrible MPG ( I just bought this car, something like 9.3mpg city. Which is like 1/2 what was advertised... this cannot be right..
Old 07-22-18, 01:52 PM
Doublebase
Pole Position

Originally Posted by jdanielca
So is it supposed to be 0W20 or 5W20 ? And is it always supposed to be synthetic? Does synthetic get better mileage? I read some thread that using synthetic was bad for a particular guys mileage. I am getting very horrible MPG ( I just bought this car, something like 9.3mpg city. Which is like 1/2 what was advertised... this cannot be right..
Yeah 9.5 is definitely not right, you should be getting at LEAST double that. Easily.

And synthetic should help your mileage, not hurt it.
The following users liked this post:
jdanielca (07-22-18)

Quick Reply: Dealer put 5w-30 in my Ls 460, instead of 5w-20