LS - 4th Gen (2007-2017) Discussion topics related to the current flagship models LS460, LS460L and LS600H

question about infrared heat sensors for rear passengers on ls 600hl

Search this Thread

Old 10-20-12, 09:20 AM
lexus600hl
Pole Position

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
Default question about infrared heat sensors for rear passengers on ls 600hl

I have "heard" about infra red heat sensors for rear seat passengers on the LS 600.
Can someone please elaborate? How does that work.
thanks
Old 10-20-12, 07:26 PM
aypues
Instructor

Received 64 Likes on 48 Posts

i believe it is only for vehicles equipped with the Executive Seating Package, which is also available on the 460L.

The infrared body temperature sensor (not to be confused with radiant heat sensor for the rear a/c) measures the body temp of rear passengers on the lap, body, and face i believe - it will then make any necessary adjustments to maintain the occupant at their desired temp setting.
Old 10-22-12, 07:03 AM
lexus600hl
Pole Position

Originally Posted by aypues
i believe it is only for vehicles equipped with the Executive Seating Package, which is also available on the 460L.

The infrared body temperature sensor (not to be confused with radiant heat sensor for the rear a/c) measures the body temp of rear passengers on the lap, body, and face i believe - it will then make any necessary adjustments to maintain the occupant at their desired temp setting.
I believe you are incorrect. I think the infra red is a part of the package with auxilary rear cooling/heating system (which I think all 600HLs have and is optional in others). It is completely unrelated to executive seating package - because you can have rear cooling/heating system with and without executive package. The rear cooling system makes the usable trunk space smaller because it has auxillary blowers etc in that space.

What I don't understand is - I can set the temperature I desire, in the rear seat control. Lets say I set it for 72 degrees. What exactly does the infra red system do for me? I have already set the desired temperature.. Does infra red sensor change the fan speed? I can't figure it out.. Because even if there are no passengers on the rear seat, I suspect that the car will maintain the same 72 degrees in the rear also.
Old 10-22-12, 07:05 AM
lexus600hl
Pole Position

(not to be confused with radiant heat sensor for the rear a/c)
What is a radiant heat sensor for rear a/c? I have not heard of this being in my car. What is it and what does it do?
Old 10-22-12, 07:16 AM
CJITTY
Lead Lap

Received 150 Likes on 112 Posts

the sensors are located on the headliner, they look like faint red LEDs sort of. If I am not mistaken, it helps the A/C system to faster regulate the temperature and keeps fluctuations to a minimum (as explained to me by others). And you do not need the executive seating package to have this, I have it in mine and I don't have exec seating
Old 10-22-12, 07:28 AM
lexus600hl
Pole Position

Originally Posted by CJITTY
the sensors are located on the headliner, they look like faint red LEDs sort of. If I am not mistaken, it helps the A/C system to faster regulate the temperature and keeps fluctuations to a minimum (as explained to me by others). And you do not need the executive seating package to have this, I have it in mine and I don't have exec seating
I assume you are referring to Infra red sensors? Does it actually take a measurement of our body temperature? Meaning - if there is no one there, would the temperature variation be more than if there is a human?
Or is it that the infra red sensors simpy sense the "ambient" temperature in the rear seat area?
Just curious.. whether or not the body temperature is being monitored.. because.. of clothing.. I am guessing that the infra red would measure the ambient temperature - infra red being more "active" than a simple temperature sensor elsewhere
Old 10-22-12, 07:42 AM
CJITTY
Lead Lap

Received 150 Likes on 112 Posts

Originally Posted by lexus600hl
I assume you are referring to Infra red sensors? Does it actually take a measurement of our body temperature? Meaning - if there is no one there, would the temperature variation be more than if there is a human?
Or is it that the infra red sensors simpy sense the "ambient" temperature in the rear seat area?
Just curious.. whether or not the body temperature is being monitored.. because.. of clothing.. I am guessing that the infra red would measure the ambient temperature - infra red being more "active" than a simple temperature sensor elsewhere
I would think it would always be working when the rear a/c is on. If there are two people back there, you are adding more heat to the interior just from their body heat, so I think it will constantly be working as people leave/enter the car, etc...just trust that it is working as intended
Old 10-22-12, 09:02 PM
aypues
Instructor

Received 64 Likes on 48 Posts

Originally Posted by lexus600hl
In all models with rear a/c (4 zone) there is a radiant heat sensor that measures the heat gain from solar rays and will make changes to cooling based on increased heat hitting the rear sensor. The front has its own radiant heat sensor at the top of the dash close to the windshield which will send data to the front AC.

For both the LS460L and the 600HL:
Only the Executive pkg has the infrared body temp sensor which measures the rear occupant's body temperature to make changes as well as the radiant heat sensor that all models with rear AC share. It is only referenced in the Exec pkg literature on Lexus' own website. The rear seat upgrade models do not have the infrared body temp sensor. See proof below:

See page 8
http://pressroom.toyota.com/article_...rticle_id=2576
See page 9
http://pressroom.lexus.com/article_d...rticle_id=2657

Last edited by aypues; 10-22-12 at 09:56 PM.
Old 10-25-12, 09:21 AM
lexus600hl
Pole Position

In all models with rear a/c (4 zone) there is a radiant heat sensor that measures the heat gain from solar rays and will make changes to cooling based on increased heat hitting the rear sensor. The front has its own radiant heat sensor at the top of the dash close to the windshield which will send data to the front AC.

For both the LS460L and the 600HL:
Only the Executive pkg has the infrared body temp sensor which measures the rear occupant's body temperature to make changes as well as the radiant heat sensor that all models with rear AC share. It is only referenced in the Exec pkg literature on Lexus' own website. The rear seat upgrade models do not have the infrared body temp sensor. See proof below:

See page 8
http://pressroom.toyota.com/article_...rticle_id=2576
See page 9
http://pressroom.lexus.com/article_d...rticle_id=2657
very informative! I appreciate such authoritative answers. Thank you.