LS - 4th Gen (2007-2017) Discussion topics related to the current flagship models LS460, LS460L and LS600H

Are you disappointed with your LS460?

Search this Thread

Old 10-23-12, 12:40 PM
lexus600hl
Pole Position

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

Originally Posted by Zammer
I have a '94 Ls400 with 103,000 mi and a just-purchased 2011 LS 460 with 13,000mi. The 460 is noisier and the ride choppier than the 400. Engine- and tire-noise are without doubt worse in the 460. This has been verified by people who've been passengers in both of my cars. It's not even a close decision.
The 400 has Michelins, and I'll change the Dunlop Sports Max that are apparently standard on the 460 for new Michelins, but that will do nothing for the engine and transmission noise. .
I made the dumb mistake of not driving the 460 before I purchased it (long story), but I was satisfied with my 400, and, after all, how noisy and poor riding can a new Lexus 460 be?
My experience may be unique, or almost so, I may have a lemon. I'd like to know if anyone else is/was disappointed by a late-model LS 460.
Your experience seems unusual to me. I bought my first LS 400 in 1989 - at introduction. I put 245,000 miles on it.
I have since owned LS400 95, LS 400- 98, LS 430-2001, ls 460l -20007 and three 2008 600Hls + about 6 or so ES 300/350s and about 5 RX300/350s.. Its actually true.. I forgot the count..
And yes, I have a bit of experience with Lexus? ha ha.
Having said that, I have noticed only progressive improvements on the cars, with subsequent model years. Only the 1995 LS was worse than its predecessor (they lightened the transmission and it was not good!). After that, each car was clearly superior to its predecessor. Therefore, I find it very puzzling to hear your concern and experience. I am not suggesting that you are wrong - its just that I find it very puzzling.

Hopefully, your 460 issue is related only to the tires and nothing worse.
Choppier ride? Assuming stock wheels, I just can't imagine why.. it has only 13,000 miles! It could not be suspension issues - unless the car had an accident? Did you check carfax? If not, you should!

I have had road noise problem with the ls 460L and it was because of tires.. and I had put bad after market wheels.. I got rid of that car... never again aftermarket (chinese?) wheels!

Its true that the LS 400 is a very quiet car. Four months ago, I drove a 1990 LS - for nostalgic reasons. If you say that the LS 400 engine and drive train are quieter, I might say "may be" (I don't recall accurately). But I do recall accurately that the LS was no way even comparable to the over all experience of a 460/600.

Last edited by lexus600hl; 10-23-12 at 12:44 PM.
Old 10-23-12, 12:49 PM
Lextrician
Lexus Test Driver

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

2 different beast!!
Old 10-23-12, 02:22 PM
Valley101
Lead Lap

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Default LS460 ride, etc

The LS security system will never lock your doors if you just get out, close the door and walk away. It will only lock itself if you unlock it with your remote get out of the car with your remote on your person (not inside the car) and not open the door again after about 30 seconds.
Old 10-23-12, 05:19 PM
Nospinzone

Received 418 Likes on 322 Posts

Are you disappointed with your LS460?

I have to say not only am I not disappointed, the car has exceeded my expectations. (Keep in mind that I didn't expect it to handle like my Q45a, or even my 300ZX, but in tech advancements, sound and comfort it way exceeds).
Old 10-23-12, 05:28 PM
Lextrician
Lexus Test Driver

a 460 moderately dropped on coils handles pretty good, really no reason i bought it but no complaints..
Old 10-23-12, 07:57 PM
I8ABMR
Lexus Fanatic

Received 102 Likes on 67 Posts

Honestly I know the LS can be floaty but I am still very happy with the grip. Even if there is body roll when you are running 255s in front and massive 295s in the rear the LS will not let go of the road. I can imagine how it will feel with the Michelin PS2.
Old 10-25-12, 05:24 PM
Zammer
Intermediate

Thanks to everyone who took the time to reply. I read each post carefully. I've no argument with 460 owners who find them quiet and comfortable. That's how a 460 should be.
I had the tires and suspension checked.The tire dealer found the front tires show some cupping and feathering. Not so much that the Dunlops must be replaced, but enough for the cause to be found. They are ordering Michelin EnergySaver AS. If they make no difference in the ride, he'll give me a refund and reinstall the Dunlops.
A highly-regarded suspension shop took the car for a test ride, then checked it on a lift. (The shop owner knew if he found anything wrong, he'd not get the fix-it job, I'd be taking the car to a Lexus dealer,, for, hopefully, repair under the "Certified Pre-owned" warranty.)
He found, "Both lower control arms--front right and left--are very weak and should be replaced." They showed me how the arms could be moved, but I wouldn't know the difference.
Does anyone in CL land know if that sounds like a reasonable cause of the poor ride? He called my attention to the way the car moved forward and back hard on braking at even moderate speed.
Carfax shows no accidents.

Last edited by Zammer; 10-25-12 at 05:28 PM. Reason: typo
Old 10-25-12, 06:08 PM
Lextrician
Lexus Test Driver

Originally Posted by I8ABMR
Honestly I know the LS can be floaty but I am still very happy with the grip. Even if there is body roll when you are running 255s in front and massive 295s in the rear the LS will not let go of the road. I can imagine how it will feel with the Michelin PS2.
maybe its the tires and the fact that I am dropped but them michelin ps2 with the lowered stance is money in the bank, not sure If I would run them again, like in a previous post I think that they are over kill for this car but tires are sticky and grip like no other, the price per tire reflect that as well.
Old 10-25-12, 06:11 PM
Lextrician
Lexus Test Driver

Thanks to everyone who took the time to reply. I read each post carefully. I've no argument with 460 owners who find them quiet and comfortable. That's how a 460 should be.
I had the tires and suspension checked.The tire dealer found the front tires show some cupping and feathering. Not so much that the Dunlops must be replaced, but enough for the cause to be found. They are ordering Michelin EnergySaver AS. If they make no difference in the ride, he'll give me a refund and reinstall the Dunlops.
A highly-regarded suspension shop took the car for a test ride, then checked it on a lift. (The shop owner knew if he found anything wrong, he'd not get the fix-it job, I'd be taking the car to a Lexus dealer,, for, hopefully, repair under the "Certified Pre-owned" warranty.)
He found, "Both lower control arms--front right and left--are very weak and should be replaced." They showed me how the arms could be moved, but I wouldn't know the difference.
Does anyone in CL land know if that sounds like a reasonable cause of the poor ride? He called my attention to the way the car moved forward and back hard on braking at even moderate speed.
If he found issues with the suspension then I would see if under the warranty if these can get fixed but there are soo many links in the suspension if everything is working good this car should feel like butter you know lexus is precise with there things and the ls is no exception..
Old 10-25-12, 06:40 PM
Zammer
Intermediate

Lexus is so precise that owners of some year cars have to DIY to fix air leaks. My 400 stopped dead in the middle of a freeway the third day I had it. The fuel injection system had stopped working and needed extensive repairs. I was lucky no car was speeding behind mine when it stopped, or...
Lexus is a good car with a good reputation for reliability, but it's not nearly perfect. My dealer for the 400 always had a full shop of them being repaired.
Old 10-25-12, 07:42 PM
Nospinzone

Received 418 Likes on 322 Posts

You stated it's a highly reputable shop with no stake in the repair, so I guess they are probably right. What I don't understand is how this happened in just 13,000 miles. Even running over speed bumps at 90 mph isn't going to cause that kind of wear. Puzzling.
Old 10-25-12, 08:05 PM
mmade22
Pit Crew

Received 31 Likes on 11 Posts

Car Fax might not help if the accident happened recently.
Old 10-25-12, 10:04 PM
SW17LS
Lexus Fanatic

Received 2,718 Likes on 1,946 Posts

I would recommend driving a couple other LS460s to see if your issue is specific to your car...
Old 10-26-12, 04:49 AM
jmcraney

Received 266 Likes on 203 Posts

Zammer,

Tell us what your tire pressures are indicating in your multifunction display.
Old 10-26-12, 04:54 PM
ghenley
Rookie

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

It seems as if we all have different experiences and preferences. I've owned a '90 LS 400, a '98 LS400 and own an '07 LS 460. I owned the '98 and '07 at the same time for several years. I found the '98 to be quieter than the '07 (but the '07 is quieter than any non-Lexus that I've owned). Yet, overall my preference is for the '07 and it is a 'better' car for me. For both cars, Michelin's have been my preferred tire.

Greg

Quick Reply: Are you disappointed with your LS460?