LS - 4th Gen (2007-2017) Discussion topics related to the current flagship models LS460, LS460L and LS600H

Want to buy new 2013 LS with Pre-Collision System (Dynamic Radar Cruise)!

Search this Thread

Old 11-07-12, 09:47 PM
johnnybu
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Want to buy new 2013 LS with Pre-Collision System (Dynamic Radar Cruise)!

Looking to buy the new 2013 460L but cannot seem to find one on the dealer lot with the Precollision system / Dynamic Radar Cruise control. I understand it is only available with the ultra luxury model. Has anyone had any experience with this? I'm hoping the lack of availability is due to the limited stock of current 2013 LS vehicles coming to the US. I would hate to have to special order and wait months for the vehicle to arrive.

Any insight would be appreciated.
Old 11-08-12, 12:08 AM
lbintab
Lexus Test Driver

Received 18 Likes on 18 Posts

I think you'll have to special order a car if you are looking for particulars. It's a pretty cool feature. Road in Nat's car with it down from SF to SD. We played with it and it works really well.
Old 11-08-12, 02:07 PM
CJITTY
Lead Lap

Received 150 Likes on 112 Posts

My 600hL has this feature (Dynamic Radar Cruise)...its amazing...I can set the appx distance between cars and it holds speed flawlessly. If you spend a lot of time on open highway, its a must have if you ask me. I heard the new versions are even more finely tuned so it is probably even better than what I have now. A car cut in front of me once and slammed on the brakes..the car slowed down really hard and the dash displayed I think yellow and red outline of the car with simulated brake lights on the display..i was focused on the road but I did get a glimpse of that...just awesome!
Old 11-09-12, 05:00 AM
iamcandyca
Rookie

my 2010 ls460l has EVERYTHING! and the pre collision is a must for BUSY drivers! it stops ur car if u arent paying attention at 30mph or less! it alerts u to head on collisions and preps the breaks its a good feature! i just lucked up and got everything on mine no doubt a special order. GOOD LUCK
Old 11-09-12, 07:11 AM
LexusNN
Lexus Champion

Received 23 Likes on 18 Posts

And starting with the 2013 pre collision the car will come to a complete stop unlike previous years
Old 11-10-12, 10:14 PM
williakz
Lexus Test Driver

Received 7 Likes on 5 Posts

Yup, Pre-Collision/Dynamic Cruise is currently only packaged with the Ultra package (costing $7k and a good bit of trunk space for rear seat HVAC) in the SWB. The pre-collision system is very basic and preloads (but does not activate) the brakes when an impending collision is detected. The L and 600 are available with the Advanced Pre-Collision which is the one that will actually stop the car from 24mph when an obstruction is detected.

I think Lexus made a big mistake tying a driver's feature (Dynamic Cruise) to rear passenger luxe. Hopefully, when they start seeing all the special order requests coming in as well as dealers passing along customer gripes, things will change. I can't wait to get my hands on the "All-speed" dynamic cruise, but I'm going to have to - at least 3 months worth!
Old 11-10-12, 10:57 PM
Nospinzone

Received 419 Likes on 323 Posts

When I bought my car there were none with Pre-Collision to be found at any of the five dealers in my area (Boston). I subsequently found out that Lexus didn't ship any program cars with the Pre-Collision option to any snowbelt states. The reason I was told was that they did not want drivers to use it during a snowstorm ........Duuuh. The fact is even in heavy rain the system will flash you a warning that the radar can't function and is shutting off.

Having experienced a similar system on an Infiniti Q45, I would not buy any car without it so I had to special order my car. My dealer looked as far south as Philadelphia and couldn't find one. The system is unbelievable. If someone cuts you off it is applying the brakes even before you can hit the brake pedal. It even picks up motorcycles, which I thought may have too small of a profile.

For my model year the system will operate at speeds above 25 mph. So I have actually used it on country roads where you are behind cars that are constantly varying their speed. It was a stand alone option of $2800 in 2007 and worth every penny I paid for it.
Old 11-16-12, 02:30 PM
Nospinzone

Well it looks like Lexus (and everyone else) will probably have to install this in snowbelt states after all.

http://www.cnn.com/2012/11/14/us/nts...ces/index.html
Old 11-16-12, 02:49 PM
whitetooth
Pole Position

Originally Posted by LexusNN
And starting with the 2013 pre collision the car will come to a complete stop unlike previous years
Since 2007 the Lexus LS600 comes to a complete stop. For security reasons she doesn't start automatically. This is an Adaptive Cruise Control function and not only pre collision. So, you need to switch on ACC and not switch-off APCS (on = standard)
Old 11-16-12, 03:30 PM
williakz
Lexus Test Driver

We need to distinguish between ADVANCED Pre-Collision (where the vehicle actively brakes to avoid imminent collision) and Pre-Collision (where steering, braking, and restraint systems are "prepped" for driver use, but no active intervention occurs.) I suggest we use the terms ACTIVE and PASSIVE to designate the type of pre-collision system involved.Thus Passive Pre-Collision is the option that is paired with "all-speed" Dynamic Cruise Control in the SWB and F Sport while Active Pre-Collision is the L and 600h system that features Pedestrian Avoidance and Driver Inattention Detect (or whatever the hell they call it!)
Old 11-16-12, 06:55 PM
Nospinzone

I don't know if Lexus changed the system in subsequent years, but the Pre-Collision in my 2007 SWB is active when set by the driver. It doesn't "prep" the brakes, it applies them, and hard if that is what is needed. The driver quite literally does not have to touch the brake pedal. Of course practically the driver will assume braking control at some point.

I think what the NTSB wants is a true passive system in that it is always on (the driver doesn't have to take any affirmative action). The only thing I wouldn't like is if they required the "lane departure" system to be passive. I drove an Infiniti with this system. It worked phenomenally well, it detected even faint lines in the road. The system did not alert you if the directionals were on when the lane change was made. The problem was all the times that it wasn't necessary to signal and you crossed a lane line. The beeping would drive you crazy. This causes you to just shut the system off. I couldn't stand such a system if I couldn't shut it off. Many years ago I used to do a lot of driving and late night driving at that. Staying awake was always a challenge. I would have killed for a system like this at that time. Now I don't really need it.
Old 11-17-12, 08:41 PM
williakz
Lexus Test Driver

Originally Posted by Nospinzone
I think what the NTSB wants is a true passive system in that it is always on (the driver doesn't have to take any affirmative action).
Well, looks like my suggestion of PASSIVE/ACTIVE terminology won't work given the above. How about going along with Lexus and using BASIC/ADVANCED to distinguish between the systems that simply prepare the car for driver input to avoid the impending collision (BASIC) and those that replace or augment driver input with programmed responses to avert (or minimize) the collision (ADVANCED)?

My concern is that by mooshing everything together under the generic term "pre-collision," it will be difficult to make sense of what features are included in which packages let alone how and how well they function.
Old 11-17-12, 08:48 PM
I8ABMR
Lexus Fanatic

Received 102 Likes on 67 Posts

I just watched the video on the collision system tonight. Great technology but they said it only works if you are under 24 miles per hour. Great for traffic or parking lots !!
Old 12-24-12, 09:22 AM
zmisst
Rookie

Originally Posted by I8ABMR
I just watched the video on the collision system tonight. Great technology but they said it only works if you are under 24 miles per hour. Great for traffic or parking lots !!
It works if you are OVER 24 mph -- not under.
Old 12-24-12, 12:01 PM
ElliotB
Lead Lap

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

I believe I8ABMR is referring to the 2013 system which will only bring the car to a full stop IF you are under 24mph (I believe only if a pedestrian is detected). My guess is that at higher speeds, the car will slow down but not fully stop the vehicle. The APCS disengages at around 25mph in previous models (and beeps to alert you the system is off).

Quick Reply: Want to buy new 2013 LS with Pre-Collision System (Dynamic Radar Cruise)!