LS - 4th Gen (2007-2017) Discussion topics related to the current flagship models LS460, LS460L and LS600H

My brakes saga

Search this Thread

Old 01-17-13, 09:00 AM
NobleSpine
Rookie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default My brakes saga

It started with the Tech recommending replacing break pads at a routine service visit as there is noise during breaking. I opted to go with Akebono based on recomendations from this forum and resurface of rotors at the neighborhood service station. That fixed one type of noise but there is nevertheless other knocking noise when you apply the break lightly between 40 mph or lower.

Back at the dealer the Techs were unsure of non OEM parts and recommended new OEM pads and resurfacing again, noise did not abate, went back, recommended new rotors, did that, so now total expense in excess of $2k with noise still existing.

Went right back to the dealer, the shop foreman rode with me and test drove and figured out right away whats wrong, after some complicated technical explanation, he offered to replace a part and since I am under extended warranty its no cost to me.

Got my car back today, no noise and everything is perfect, the name of part is ABS brake actuator, apparently it is a new updated part that Lexus has brought out due to this issue.

I now recall that such a TSIB was already performed on my car but had to be redone as it went bad. I think if I have to pay it would come out to $2900.00
Old 01-17-13, 09:27 AM
williakz
Lexus Test Driver

Received 7 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by NobleSpine
It started with the Tech recommending replacing break pads at a routine service visit as there is noise during breaking. I opted to go with Akebono based on recomendations from this forum and resurface of rotors at the neighborhood service station. That fixed one type of noise but there is nevertheless other knocking noise when you apply the break lightly between 40 mph or lower.

Back at the dealer the Techs were unsure of non OEM parts and recommended new OEM pads and resurfacing again, noise did not abate, went back, recommended new rotors, did that, so now total expense in excess of $2k with noise still existing.

Went right back to the dealer, the shop foreman rode with me and test drove and figured out right away whats wrong, after some complicated technical explanation, he offered to replace a part and since I am under extended warranty its no cost to me.

Got my car back today, no noise and everything is perfect, the name of part is ABS brake actuator, apparently it is a new updated part that Lexus has brought out due to this issue.

I now recall that such a TSIB was already performed on my car but had to be redone as it went bad. I think if I have to pay it would come out to $2900.00
Like the ML amp, this unit goes south in A LOT of LSs. Ask your dealer for the cost of parts and labor to replace - around $3k if I recall correctly. You're lucky you got this done under warranty. Mine was replaced gratis AFTER my CPO warranty expired but only because I argued successfully that I had reported the problem PRIOR to the expiration and the dealer had failed to properly diagnose the cause - whew!