LS - 4th Gen (2007-2017) Discussion topics related to the current flagship models LS460, LS460L and LS600H

2013 LS460 LED Headlights - 3 of them?

Search this Thread

Old 02-02-13, 07:16 PM
yardie876
Lexus Champion

Received 87 Likes on 73 Posts

Originally Posted by vasy
Does this come from a reliable source? Not that I don't believe you, just want to get the truth. If all 3 light up in the UK, then the 3rd projector is not the infrared used in the advanced pre-collision system as mentioned in an earlier post.
Saw this on Lexus of UK...
Old 02-02-13, 07:30 PM
aypues
Instructor

Received 64 Likes on 48 Posts

it's true. European lighting laws are different than in the US. For example, Lexus wasn't allowed to bring the Intelligent High Beams to the US because low and high beams are not allowed to be on simultaneously:

INTELLIGENT LIGHTING

Our new Adaptive High Beam System uses a light-sensing camera to detect the headlights of oncoming vehicles and tail lights of those ahead, automatically shading part of the light beam with shutters so as not to dazzle drivers ahead

http://www.lexus.co.uk/car-models/ls...igent-lighting
Old 02-02-13, 09:09 PM
williakz
Lexus Test Driver

Received 7 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by aypues;7742543...
Lexus wasn't allowed to bring the Intelligent High Beams to the US because low and high beams are not allowed to be on simultaneously...
In which case, we simply MUST figure out how to enable this feature stateside. If Lexus saw fit to provide the hardware, surely a software switch controls whether the feature works or not. Boys...?
Old 02-03-13, 05:55 AM
vasy
Driver School Candidate

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by aypues
it's true. European lighting laws are different than in the US. For example, Lexus wasn't allowed to bring the Intelligent High Beams to the US because low and high beams are not allowed to be on simultaneously:

INTELLIGENT LIGHTING

Our new Adaptive High Beam System uses a light-sensing camera to detect the headlights of oncoming vehicles and tail lights of those ahead, automatically shading part of the light beam with shutters so as not to dazzle drivers ahead

http://www.lexus.co.uk/car-models/ls...igent-lighting
Agreed that lighting laws are different for different countries. But according to Lexus.com, Intelligent High Beams is available in the US market. See here. Scroll to the bottom and click on the ">" to move to the right.
Old 02-03-13, 10:55 AM
aypues
Instructor

Received 64 Likes on 48 Posts

they are dumbed down intelligent lights in the US. there is no shielding of the high beams. It only switches to low beams when it senses another vehicle, which is totally different than the anti-dazzling lights of Europe and Japan. It's not legal in the US.

Here is the video from Europe:
Old 02-03-13, 01:09 PM
williakz
Lexus Test Driver

Received 7 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by aypues
Here is the video from Europe...
But the video shows all the action occurring in the small diameter outboard lensed elements. What about the inboard Big Boy? What does he do, when, how, and why?
Old 02-04-13, 05:45 AM
vasy
Driver School Candidate

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by williakz
But the video shows all the action occurring in the small diameter outboard lensed elements. What about the inboard Big Boy? What does he do, when, how, and why?
I have exactly the same question. That animated video demonstrates the shielding of high beam when an oncoming vehicle is detected. But the shielding is on the middle projector only. If the inner projector is also part of the high beam, why isn't it shielded also? This seems to support the theory that the inner projector does not produce any visible light to illuminate the road. It's not a headlight but an infrared device for the advanced pre-collision system as ikey78 suggested. ikey78 also said, by personal experience, that he observed the middle projector turned from low to high in an empty parking lot at night. Keep in mind that the middle one is always on even in low beam. So what mechanism causes the middle one to turn high (brighter) when high beam is switched on? Is it the "unshielding" that this video demonstrates? If not, what is it? On another note, the picture in the UK Lexus site with all 3 lighted is very convincing but I would not rule out that this particular picture has some artificial effects applied. You can see some straight lines coming out of the headlight housing to depict light beam. I think these lines are software tricks. Don't know if the inner light is also artificial. I also saw another picture of 2013 LS F Sport on the same site with only the inner light on, the middle and outer light are both off. What about that? What circumstance would necessitate the inner projector on while the other 2 are off? We need UK friends to come in. If you have HID (or LED), does the inner light ever come on at night?

This is the picture showing only the inner light on (scroll to the bottom):
http://www.lexus.co.uk/car-models/ls...x.tmex#/FSPORT
Old 02-04-13, 06:44 AM
LexusNN
Lexus Champion

Received 23 Likes on 18 Posts

Thank you yardie and aypues for backing me up
Old 09-15-18, 02:49 PM
angrypengu
Driver

Received 19 Likes on 14 Posts

Sorry for bringing up a thread from the dead, but how is the performance of this LED light system? Is it the same as traditional bi xenon headlamps, or are we talking about a decrease in brightness due to LEDs from this 'era'? (4LS)
Old 09-15-18, 04:14 PM
StClair
Driver School Candidate

Received 8 Likes on 5 Posts

�� Wow! I just checked mine and the inner most “headlamp” DOES NOT light up? Is it a headlamp? �� Or is it the auto high beam detection system? I’ve had my 2016 for two years and was under the impression that the larger of the three was THE high beam. I’m so disappointed! No wonder I’ve questioned its quality on occasion. If it is the “European” high beam, does anyone have a hack for it?
Old 09-15-18, 08:26 PM
Kee318
Driver

Received 13 Likes on 13 Posts

The inner housing doesn't have a bulb. Its just for look. The 2 outter one work.
Old 09-16-18, 10:53 AM
JH48
Advanced

Received 22 Likes on 10 Posts

Those 3 projector headlight only come with if your car has auto high beam
Old 09-16-18, 01:34 PM
SW17LS
Lexus Fanatic

Received 2,723 Likes on 1,950 Posts

Originally Posted by angrypengu
Sorry for bringing up a thread from the dead, but how is the performance of this LED light system? Is it the same as traditional bi xenon headlamps, or are we talking about a decrease in brightness due to LEDs from this 'era'? (4LS)
I've had the LS460 with HIDs and with the LEDs, the LEDs are better for sure. I'm quite happy with mine.

Originally Posted by StClair
�� Wow! I just checked mine and the inner most “headlamp” DOES NOT light up? Is it a headlamp? �� Or is it the auto high beam detection system? I’ve had my 2016 for two years and was under the impression that the larger of the three was THE high beam. I’m so disappointed! No wonder I’ve questioned its quality on occasion. If it is the “European” high beam, does anyone have a hack for it?
The 13+ LS460s have bi-xenon or bi-LED headlamps. So the position of the reflectors simply moves to create the high beam arc. The interior lamp housings that have no bulbs are used if the car has the night vision option which is extremely rare.

Originally Posted by JH48
Those 3 projector headlight only come with if your car has auto high beam
The 3 projector lamps are LED, the 2 projector lamps are HID. Both the LED and HID have the inside projector.
Old 02-20-19, 02:39 PM
HIguy
2nd gear

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Re: LS 460 headlights

[QUOTE=SW17LS;10308192]I've had the LS460 with HIDs and with the LEDs, the LEDs are better for sure. I'm quite happy with mine.

Just bought a used 2013 LS 460. Owners manual talks about a feature called “night view” in which an image is displayed on the main info/nav screen in a night vision-type mode to help see pedestrians, etc. If your car has the night view feature, there should be a button activating it next to the odometer and trip buttons to the right of the steering wheel. The large inboard projectors are the “near infrared” emitters for the night view and therefore do not light up. My car doesn’t have the night view button so I imagine that the large inboard housings are empty. My car has two smaller lights outboard of the emitters which signifies LEDs. Despite their small size, they provide very good illumination. Very happy with the features and how it drives.
Old 10-09-22, 02:16 PM
LexusSushi
7th Gear

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by dochusar
I have not yet pictured the turn illumination light, think that is the third light.

sorry to dig this one up, but I've been viewing all these discussions for a while but still wondering: how exactly did you turn this inner light on?

mine has the triple beam headlight, but the inner one never comes up.

Quick Reply: 2013 LS460 LED Headlights - 3 of them?