LS - 4th Gen (2007-2017) Discussion topics related to the current flagship models LS460, LS460L and LS600H

OEM Air Suspension ride height links below car..adjustable?

Search this Thread

Old 02-12-13, 04:18 PM
pmiller
Driver

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by SBlexus
I agree with cjitty,and also my front and rear rises when I set it to high height.
I know. Mine does too. It just shows how much Lexus techs do not know about the cars they service.
Old 02-12-13, 04:21 PM
pmiller
Driver

Originally Posted by CJITTY
The skipper links are aftermarket bolts that have more range of adjustment. The brackets in the pics above is what you would adjust..but either method is fooling the suspension of the car to lower it.

As far as that tech..they are flat wrong lol. Hell..you can measure with your fingers and clearly see how much higher the car goes in HH mode haha...I can say with 100% certainty the car lowers at around 62 to 65mph. The data systems controller has a screen view that shows 4 horizontal bars with a center line between them..the top left bar is driver front, top left is passenger front, bottom left is driver rear and bottom right is passenger rear. At normal height..the bars are barely noticeable. as you drive the car, the controller is reading the suspension level in real time. If you hit a dip and the strut compresses..the bar extends outward from the center line. When it rebounds back to normal, the bar gets less wide back toward center line. Once you hit around 65mph sustained for a minute or so, you can clearly see the car lowering down because the bars begin to extend away from center line. It is almost as if the data controller was set to level 3 or 4. As the car slows down below that 65mph number..the car will slowly raise back to normal ride height. When I reinstall my controller I will make a video..I think this is one of the best features of the data controller.
I know it lowers at higher speeds with the data controller because that is one of the features of it. But with no aftermarket air control system, I don't think it lowers. Maybe the 600 does, but I don't think my 460 does.
Old 02-12-13, 06:40 PM
CJITTY
Lead Lap

Received 150 Likes on 112 Posts

Originally Posted by pmiller
I know it lowers at higher speeds with the data controller because that is one of the features of it. But with no aftermarket air control system, I don't think it lowers. Maybe the 600 does, but I don't think my 460 does.
It is by oem design..not the controller..trust me. Even with the controller in normal bypass mode it drops down at 65mph...have a friend drive your car on the highway while you follow and see it drop down..SBLexus can confirm. .he has a 460.
Old 02-12-13, 08:42 PM
SBlexus
Lead Lap

Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts

It is by oem design..not the controller..trust me. Even with the controller in normal bypass mode it drops down at 65mph...have a friend drive your car on the highway while you follow and see it drop down..SBLexus can confirm. .he has a 460.
He's right I tried it this weekend. If you drive your car really aggressive, park it and see how low it sits.
Old 02-13-13, 02:59 AM
pmiller
Driver

Originally Posted by SBlexus
He's right I tried it this weekend. If you drive your car really aggressive, park it and see how low it sits.
OK, I believe you and it would make sense for it to do so. Why doesn't Lexus advertise this? Why doesn't it say anything in the owner's manual? It doesn't surprise me. It seems there are a lot of things Lexus doesn't tell us. I have learned more reading CL than reading the owner's manual. Thanks.
Old 02-13-13, 10:54 AM
CJITTY
Lead Lap

Agreed..i didnt know the pre collision system actually stiffens up the air suspension struts to reduce dipping during hard braking until reading through CL..this car is amazing for real
Old 02-13-13, 04:57 PM
pmiller
Driver

Agreed..i didnt know the pre collision system actually stiffens up the air suspension struts to reduce dipping during hard braking until reading through CL..this car is amazing for real
Are there any other interesting things I should know about my LS? Is there a thread for posting these interesting tid bits? I do a lot searching and reading, but if there was one location for these, that would be helpful.
Thanks.
Old 02-13-13, 07:00 PM
adamls2
Lexus Champion

Received 9 Likes on 8 Posts

Is there a dedicated thread for that?^^ if not, someone should junp on it...lots of cool little features hidden in our cars.
Old 02-18-13, 02:09 PM
pmiller
Driver

Will adjusting the ride height cause negative camber? Or do people want negative camber to get the wheels under the fenders when they slam them? I only plan to lower my car an inch or 2. Should I worry about any camber problems?
Old 02-18-13, 02:20 PM
CJITTY
Lead Lap

Are there any other interesting things I should know about my LS? Is there a thread for posting these interesting tid bits? I do a lot searching and reading, but if there was one location for these, that would be helpful.
Thanks.
Google searches work really well. In fact, I simply typed in tips, tricks, LS460, Clublexus.com in Google and came up with this thread that I remembered was out there..took me 10 seconds to find. http://sr1.clublexus.com/forums/ls46...your-ls-2.html

When I create my threads, I try to put tons of information in them that will trigger easy searchable items. So, when I create threads like this OEM Air Suspension thread, all of the info goes there. I even try to grab links to other threads that reference this topic and populate them into this thread. If others did this as a habit as well, it would make things easier. This is also why I created the wheel/tire info thread which is now a sticky. Unfortunately I have to beg folks to post their wheel setups in there. Some don't know it is even out there because they never look at the stickies, even though some of the most valuable information that answers many of the questions are already there.

So, I have become extremely skilled at searching for info. That is how I learned everything and with the help of PMing our other great members.

I have said this many times, but if you use this format in a Google search, you will yield plenty of results --> (topic of interest), CLUBLEXUS.com, LS460

So for example, one would type--> Air Suspension, ClubLexus.com, LS460 and receive tons of results just within Clublexus.com LS460 forum.

Not trying to be sarcastic here, just trying to get folks in the habit of searching. You will be amazed at just how much info is in this 460/600 forum, I promise you
Old 02-18-13, 02:27 PM
CJITTY
Lead Lap

Will adjusting the ride height cause negative camber? Or do people want negative camber to get the wheels under the fenders when they slam them? I only plan to lower my car an inch or 2. Should I worry about any camber problems?
On the oem air suspension models, there seems to be more forgiveness. As mentioned, the car by design lowers to about level 3..maybe 4 (per the data controller display) on the highway at around 65mph...the fender gap is pretty much eliminated at that level. So, the car is made to drive a little lower, but that also assumes smooth roads and being on the highway, not major potholes in the city, etc.

Those on coil springs don't have much room as far as camber range goes. I dropped my 460 on Tanabes and quickly found my fronts out of camber range..even with toe adjustments, my tire life would be signficantly reduced if I drove my car alot. All cars are different. So far on my 600, when I had my 22s on and even now on oem 19s...i have not noticed any extra wear on my inside tire edge from driving lowered. I think even Cheez80 had no major inner tire wear driving around on level 6, but he had some..either way, with the data controller and a mild drop..you should be good to go.

Some people need to drop low to tuck tires into fenderwell..taking out fender gap is usually the main reason folks drop also. It just looks much better. People like Tee who have 22s on their 460 without oem air can actually get away without lowering because the gap isn't terrible. It's there, but not as much as normal ride height as oem air folks. I put 10.5" wide wheels on the front of my 600 on a test fit..it poked out until I dropped to about level 6 to get the tire to get inline with the fender..if I was into that look all the time, I would of kept it..but not practical for my situation.

Last edited by CJITTY; 02-18-13 at 02:31 PM.
Old 02-18-13, 02:48 PM
pmiller
Driver

Google searches work really well. In fact, I simply typed in tips, tricks, LS460, Clublexus.com in Google and came up with this thread that I remembered was out there..took me 10 seconds to find. http://sr1.clublexus.com/forums/ls46...your-ls-2.html

When I create my threads, I try to put tons of information in them that will trigger easy searchable items. So, when I create threads like this OEM Air Suspension thread, all of the info goes there. I even try to grab links to other threads that reference this topic and populate them into this thread. If others did this as a habit as well, it would make things easier. This is also why I created the wheel/tire info thread which is now a sticky. Unfortunately I have to beg folks to post their wheel setups in there. Some don't know it is even out there because they never look at the stickies, even though some of the most valuable information that answers many of the questions are already there.

So, I have become extremely skilled at searching for info. That is how I learned everything and with the help of PMing our other great members.

I have said this many times, but if you use this format in a Google search, you will yield plenty of results --> (topic of interest), CLUBLEXUS.com, LS460

So for example, one would type--> Air Suspension, ClubLexus.com, LS460 and receive tons of results just within Clublexus.com LS460 forum.

Not trying to be sarcastic here, just trying to get folks in the habit of searching. You will be amazed at just how much info is in this 460/600 forum, I promise you
Thanks for pointing this out to me. Could thread above be a sticky? Unlike the person you referenced, I have read thru those and read the updates when I see them.
I will try searching more in the future...thanks.
Old 02-20-13, 09:52 AM
jayhoang
Pole Position

Received 3 Likes on 1 Post

Just to clarify a little more about this tweak...

Should one be at stock height while adjusting the links and then test - for example Super L mode - to see if it has gone any lower?
If it hasn't gone lower, raise it back to stock height, adjust links again and back to super L?

I want to tackle it this weekend, but I want to know the procedure I should follow.
Old 02-20-13, 10:15 AM
CJITTY
Lead Lap

Originally Posted by jayhoang
Just to clarify a little more about this tweak...

Should one be at stock height while adjusting the links and then test - for example Super L mode - to see if it has gone any lower?
If it hasn't gone lower, raise it back to stock height, adjust links again and back to super L?

I want to tackle it this weekend, but I want to know the procedure I should follow.
Yes, adjust at normal height. This is really to tweak normal ride height if I understand right. In other words to bring the car up or down from 0 level as the starting point.
Old 02-20-13, 11:45 AM
jayhoang
Pole Position

Received 3 Likes on 1 Post

Yes, adjust at normal height. This is really to tweak normal ride height if I understand right. In other words to bring the car up or down from 0 level as the starting point.
I wonder...

For the purpose of wanting to lower MORE rather than correct height, if you could "trick" the sensors to think that "5" for example is actually "0". If this were the case, then Super L mode would actually be lowering the frame to the ground or closer to it than what it actually does currently.

This is assuming that the air suspension isn't already maxed out at Super L, and that the sensors have that much adjustability.

However - thank you for clarifying. I'll try and give it a shot this weekend and post my findings.

Quick Reply: OEM Air Suspension ride height links below car..adjustable?