LS - 4th Gen (2007-2017) Discussion topics related to the current flagship models LS460, LS460L and LS600H

Pic of your LS- RIGHT NOW!

Search this Thread

Old 05-17-16, 09:06 AM
VIPanda460
Intermediate

Received 24 Likes on 20 Posts

^^ I like how you can see the sun rays right onto the dope ride.
Old 05-19-16, 05:50 PM
comotiger
Pole Position

Received 296 Likes on 254 Posts

Originally Posted by caha14
I had not looked in that direction at all, but can totally see it (and like you, would've seen it when buying). You can always have a high-end body shop look at it, but you're right, it's not necessarily cause for alarm. Start by taking a look at the bolts that hold the hood to the hinges - you should immediately see whether they've been loosened, or they're covered by factory paint.

FWIW, some years ago, I had the front of my 460 repainted. There was no collision whatsoever. When they reinstalled the hood, there was a tiny incremental gap like yours that wouldn't go away. So, they moved the front fender in a hair, and presto.
Originally Posted by comotiger
Thanks caha, I will check the hinges and update when I get the car back after the sunroof replacement.
I checked the hood hinges and they are covered with factory paint, no scratches etc. So, hopefully it is a good sign .

Funny thing is the gaps on the two sides of the hood are equal now! When the car was in the shop, they also installed a couple of missing clips that attach the front bumper at the driver side wheel well. Maybe that did the trick.
Old 05-19-16, 06:34 PM
catillito
Driver School Candidate

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

Another day at the office
The following users liked this post:
LexNYC83 (04-05-20)
Old 05-20-16, 08:15 AM
FreddyG
Intermediate

Received 101 Likes on 73 Posts

Originally Posted by catillito

Those are some Great looking wheels and the stance is Nice too!
Old 05-20-16, 08:33 AM
catillito
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by FreddyG
Those are some Great looking wheels and the stance is Nice too!
Thanks for the comment bro 👍
Old 05-20-16, 10:09 AM
caha14
Racer

Received 83 Likes on 65 Posts

I could see the mileage better on my desktop. Wow, you have a 2011(?) 600hL with 14000 miles?? That's practically new! I thought you have to drive a lot more to keep the battery in good working order.

I am a bit confused by the photo. Here are some naive observations and questions.
I noticed the charge is pretty low. I noticed your engine was ~1000 rpm for a 70 mph cruise. That's pretty low rpm. It's my understanding that the 600hL wheels are only driven by the electric motors and the engine only charges the battery. Then why does the tach show up to 8000 rpm with a redline? I cannot imagine the engine revs that high for charging.

However, if I am wrong and the 600hL is also driven by the engine thru a transmission, was the car being driven on engine power while the battery was charging when you took this picture? In that case, it seems like 1000 rpm is pretty low revs for a 70 mph speed. I haven't paid attention to the rpm at 70 mph in my 460L, but I would guess it is closer to 1500 rpm.
2010 bought with less than 10k miles indeed!

We can get into more detail outside this specific thread, but yes, the gasoline engine (a 5.0-liter V8) very much propels the car! It does so via a CVT (continuously-variable transmission), which is what Lexus and Toyota use on all their hybrids.

This allows you to more easily get into the torque "sweet spot" of the V8 (almost on demand), which when combined with the instant torque from the electric motors, makes for a nice, spirited drive, especially when accelerating on the highway. I've definitely pushed past 5k rpm... In contrast, when cruising (as in my photo), not a lot of torque is needed, and thus, the V8 is running at a hair above idle.

If you look at the photo closely, the battery is at roughly 3/4 (visually, anyway), and power is flowing from the gas engine to both the wheels and the battery pack (i.e., the electric motors are not driving at that point). During the course of operation, the batteries will drain and recharge repeatedly.

Originally Posted by Rhambler
Never knew the instrument cluster was different in that model. I assumed the 2007-2016 were fairly similar.
It's different only on 2010-2012 LS hybrids. As I understand it, this cluster was also factory option on the LS460L in Japan only (where the LS460 has historically had all kinds of cool features/amenities available) for these same model years.

I checked the hood hinges and they are covered with factory paint, no scratches etc. So, hopefully it is a good sign .

Funny thing is the gaps on the two sides of the hood are equal now! When the car was in the shop, they also installed a couple of missing clips that attach the front bumper at the driver side wheel well. Maybe that did the trick.
Happy ending for sure, but it seems odd that properly attaching the bumper would address the issue, given that the gap was hood-to-fender, not involving the grille/bumper . More photos, por favor?
Old 05-20-16, 10:12 AM
caha14
Racer

I must correct you... Not 'another day'; with that nice machine, it looks like an awesome day! Saddle interior? I've always loved the rich look of that color.
Old 05-20-16, 10:20 AM
catillito
Driver School Candidate

I must correct you... Not 'another day'; with that nice machine, it looks like an awesome day! Saddle interior? I've always loved the rich look of that color.
Thanks man it was a nice day lol took her out for a spin. Is that the same as Flaxen? Is like a pnutt butter color with black.
Old 05-20-16, 10:37 AM
caha14
Racer

Thanks man it was a nice day lol took her out for a spin. Is that the same as Flaxen? Is like a pnutt butter color with black.
Flaxen, that's it (though peanut butter is good enough for me)!

I think 'Saddle' may have been the name of a similar color on the SC (and perhaps LS430), so I used it a bit loosely. Acura had a version of it back in the day called 'Camel'. It's a color I've always liked and never had
Old 05-21-16, 12:51 AM
VIPanda460
Intermediate

Received 24 Likes on 20 Posts

Nice height. What spoiler you got there?
Old 05-21-16, 08:20 AM
FreddyG
Intermediate

Received 101 Likes on 73 Posts

Thanks for the comment bro 👍
You're Welcome!
Old 05-21-16, 08:33 AM
dlbuckls10
Racer

Received 99 Likes on 81 Posts

Clean, sporty and definitely stands out.
Old 05-22-16, 06:30 AM
comotiger
Pole Position

Received 296 Likes on 254 Posts

Happy ending for sure, but it seems odd that properly attaching the bumper would address the issue, given that the gap was hood-to-fender, not involving the grille/bumper . More photos, por favor?
Hi caha, yeah, I agree, but here are the photos. The gaps look perfect now

Old 05-22-16, 06:52 AM
caha14
Racer

Hi caha, yeah, I agree, but here are the photos. The gaps look perfect now
A work of art! Thanks for sharing.
Old 05-23-16, 05:14 PM
AznRacer
Instructor

Received 13 Likes on 10 Posts

Name:  image_zpsxfbfwmdh.jpeg
Views: 212
Size:  179.5 KB

Last edited by AznRacer; 05-23-16 at 05:29 PM.

Quick Reply: Pic of your LS- RIGHT NOW!