LS - 4th Gen (2007-2017) Discussion topics related to the current flagship models LS460, LS460L and LS600H

2013 LS 460 vs. Mercedes S550

Search this Thread

Old 02-12-13, 04:46 AM
Joeb427
Lexus Fanatic

Received 17 Likes on 16 Posts

The S550 also feel and drives like a heavy car but I like it much more than the LS but again,not a car you keep past basic warranty.
Old 02-12-13, 05:56 AM
rogers2
Racer

Received 13 Likes on 11 Posts

If I had to purchase new I would pick the Mercedes everytime with the AMG package. In the used market it would be a toss because I think the Lexus is a little more reliable.
Old 02-12-13, 10:26 AM
rominl
exclusive matchup

Received 190 Likes on 148 Posts

Originally Posted by RX808
Thanks, nice write up. For me, and knowing he keeps cars for a while, I think the LS leads right now. I do admit that from a total looks perspective, the S takes the cake.

I'm going to test drive both of them too and pretend I can afford it bwaha.

Both Lexus and MB have themselves a monopoly here in Hawaii so discounts are at the mercy of the dealers for the most part. The MB he looked at is coming it right above $90k and the LS right around $75. A lot more stuff with the LS at the price too.

We have about 1-2 months before the shipment of LS's come in to decide. Looking at White with Grey interior. Can't be any more old asian man than that.
i am not sure if that's a fair comparison though. at 75k, i don't think it's a lwb ls460? s550 are all lwb. but then again if you don't care about the extra room in the back, it makes the ls460 that much more attractive
Old 02-13-13, 12:15 AM
LXurious
Advanced

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

It depends if you need the extra rear legroom. If not you can get a fully loaded SWB or even F-sport 460 for anywhere from 5-10k less than an ok equipped 550. However I personally would take a fully loaded S550 over a LS600hl if we're talking about 2013. Anyone see that 130k sticker?!?
Old 02-13-13, 01:27 AM
RX808
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

The extra leg room in the rear isn't a concern. I can't imagine the last time he had more than 1 person in the car.

The LS-L is not being considered at this point because he didn't think it was a necessary option.

I know for a fact he will keep this car for 6 or even 8 years. That's where the reliability factor comes in big. If this were a lease, the choice may be a lot easier. He doesn't believe in leasing cars though so can't go down that road.
Old 02-13-13, 06:24 AM
patgilm
Lead Lap

Received 285 Likes on 202 Posts

With either car it would be smart to get an extended warranty anyway since things cost so much to fix and there are things in the LS that do fail. So assuming you get an extended warranty for both, would the reliability factor still be a concern? For me reliability is a concern because I don't feel like spending a lot of time at the dealer when I feel my time is limited anyway, not based on how long I plan to own a car unless it is beyond the extended warranty period.
Old 02-13-13, 07:50 AM
SW17LS
Lexus Fanatic

Received 2,715 Likes on 1,944 Posts

Given your description I think the smart buy is the LS.

BUT...you only live once and if he wants to try a Mercedes, he should go for it.
Old 02-13-13, 08:23 AM
Tee

Received 67 Likes on 56 Posts

You might get even better deal since the 2014 S-Class will debut soon or you can wait to see if you like the new gen over the current one.

http://wot.motortrend.com/2014-merce...#axzz2KnSKuGfz
Old 02-13-13, 10:23 AM
rominl
exclusive matchup

The extra leg room in the rear isn't a concern. I can't imagine the last time he had more than 1 person in the car.

The LS-L is not being considered at this point because he didn't think it was a necessary option.

I know for a fact he will keep this car for 6 or even 8 years. That's where the reliability factor comes in big. If this were a lease, the choice may be a lot easier. He doesn't believe in leasing cars though so can't go down that road.
with that it sounds like LS is a better choice!
Old 02-13-13, 12:43 PM
RandyV
Advanced

Received 52 Likes on 41 Posts

I know for a fact he will keep this car for 6 or even 8 years. .
Then get the Lexus.

[/end discussion]
Old 02-13-13, 06:08 PM
aypues
Instructor

Received 63 Likes on 47 Posts

ya wait for a month when they officially announce the 2014 S Class. It will have some nice innovations.
Also, it may be worth looking at the S350 BlueTEC. 21/31mpg and standard awd. The reviews are all saying the diesel is the one to get.
Old 02-13-13, 10:01 PM
a310pilot
Driver

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I wouldnt want to feel the road or feel well connected to the road. That's my tires job... And I won't certainly spend $100k on a luxury car to "feel" how good of a job our government did building the road and when the road is due for repairs. You can do all that in a corolla or better yet Acura.

If you want total serene Luxury and little to NO engine noise. GO with LS ... it's still powerful when you need it.

Mercedes is more expensive not because it is a better built its because of the higher labour rates in Europe and overall cost of running a business in Europe... we all love buying something foreign...
Old 02-14-13, 08:14 PM
PRSUIT460
Racer

Received 13 Likes on 13 Posts

Ls600hl
Old 02-15-13, 08:39 AM
SW17LS
Lexus Fanatic

Received 2,715 Likes on 1,944 Posts

Originally Posted by a310pilot
I wouldnt want to feel the road or feel well connected to the road. That's my tires job... And I won't certainly spend $100k on a luxury car to "feel" how good of a job our government did building the road and when the road is due for repairs. You can do all that in a corolla or better yet Acura.
Have you driven an S Class? You don't "feel the road" the way you're describing. Lexus has been working very hard to engineer more "road feel" into their cars, and today's LS is not nearly as numb and isolated as it used to be.

An S Class rides incredibly, no denying that. Its not a "detached" car though, like the LS used to be and today is less so.

Mercedes is more expensive not because it is a better built its because of the higher labour rates in Europe and overall cost of running a business in Europe... we all love buying something foreign...
Eh...thats not really the case. Lexus has their own issues with tariffs and exchange rates.

I would say material quality on the whole is better with Mercedes than Lexus. My issue with Mercedes is the overall design and feel of their interiors, which I don't care for. Material quality though is excellent throughout their lines. A guy who works for me just bought a C300, interior material quality absolutely blows away an ES or IS. Blows it away. BUT, I don't care for the look, layout, etc.
Old 02-15-13, 10:03 AM
rominl
exclusive matchup

Originally Posted by SW10ES
Have you driven an S Class? You don't "feel the road" the way you're describing. Lexus has been working very hard to engineer more "road feel" into their cars, and today's LS is not nearly as numb and isolated as it used to be.

An S Class rides incredibly, no denying that. Its not a "detached" car though, like the LS used to be and today is less so.

Eh...thats not really the case. Lexus has their own issues with tariffs and exchange rates.

I would say material quality on the whole is better with Mercedes than Lexus. My issue with Mercedes is the overall design and feel of their interiors, which I don't care for. Material quality though is excellent throughout their lines. A guy who works for me just bought a C300, interior material quality absolutely blows away an ES or IS. Blows it away. BUT, I don't care for the look, layout, etc.
agreed both LS and S rides superbly (can add 7 to the list too), they just ride a bit differently. i am driving a 2013 ls460 now and i had a s550 before. the 2013 ls460 has a bit more road feel / feedback than the 07-09 (the one that i had), a bit more fun. but the s550 still has more overall road feel imho

Quick Reply: 2013 LS 460 vs. Mercedes S550