LS - 4th Gen (2007-2017) Discussion topics related to the current flagship models LS460, LS460L and LS600H

Can some give me some insight

Search this Thread

Old 02-12-13, 11:59 PM
Lexusfan89
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Can some give me some insight

On their maintenance cost, any contribution would be appreciated. I'm looking at 07 or 08 Swb or lwb.

How is the reliability? Are there certain woes that are just bound to happen. would anyone recommend a warranty?

Thanks in advance for any input
Old 02-13-13, 06:27 AM
wchain
Pit Crew

Received 27 Likes on 10 Posts

Originally Posted by Lexusfan89
On their maintenance cost, any contribution would be appreciated. I'm looking at 07 or 08 Swb or lwb.

How is the reliability? Are there certain woes that are just bound to happen. would anyone recommend a warranty?

Thanks in advance for any input
It seems if you buy a car that has a good service history, (i.e. at the Dealer or a Good Indy), that you wont have any issues.

The few niggling issues that I see (and I'm new to the 460 world), these are what I see from doing some searching around and reading. The following are:

-Lower Control Arm bushings (requires control arm replacement)
-Batteries seem to have a shorter life. (if you dont drive a lot, a Battery Tender helps)
-LWB Air Struts fail and are expensive
-Valve Spring recall sometimes requires a re-flash or you will have driveability issues
-Nav must be updated by dealer, you can't DIY
-Door switch plunger fails and the car does not 'see' you exit, so the headlights stay on and drain the battery
-Mark Levinson Amp will fail and replacement is pricey but there are places that can repair them
-Water pumps seem to be a frequent replacement item
-Brake Actuators have an updated service number, but those are still showing symptoms
-Factory Bridgestone EL42 and Michelin Pilot MXM4 tires dont last long at all.

That being said, I absolutely love my LS460L. I have owned many S Class cars, Infinitis, full sized Linc/Mercury sedans, and the Lexus experience is like non other.

I did purchase an extended warranty through my credit union , and have used it already with no issues at my local dealer. I would most definitely recommend getting a CPO car, or buying a good extended warranty (i.e. google search the name of the warranty company, look at ripoffreport and the bbb).

As far as maintenance costs go, I was told $180.00 for 5,000 mile intervals by a local dealer, which included Oil Change, Tire Rotation and a Multi Point inspection. Later, when I talked to a different advisor at the dealership, he told me the oil changes were $79.99 and the "World Class" Inspection was included, as well as a car wash. If you buy your tires from Discount Tire, NTB, Costco, Sams etc, they usually include lifetime rotate and balance. The 60K service was almost $1,100 dollars and many of the things listed on their list were not listed in the owners manual. I have also noticed that the Dealers "Service Menu" varies greatly with the Lexus maintenance booklets requirements.

Also, you may find a Toyota dealer that is willing to work on your car for basic stuff for much less. I was quoted $19.99 at the Toyota dealer, and when I asked about the additional quarts of oil thats required for the LS460, his reply was "Eh, whatever, I dont care, just bring it in."

Last edited by wchain; 02-13-13 at 07:57 AM.
Old 02-13-13, 01:45 PM
Nospinzone

Received 427 Likes on 330 Posts

..... On their maintenance cost, ......
If you bring it to a dealer it is expensive. If you DIY or go to Toyota, or have a competent independent mechanic, the costs are normal and reasonable.

....How is the reliability?
This is clearly the most reliable luxury car you can buy.

...... Are there certain woes that are just bound to happen. would anyone recommend a warranty?
Unfortunately most (probably all) '07 and '08 models will not qualify for a Lexus extended warranty. You are on your own with a third party insurer.

Oh, and welcome to CL. We can't wait to see which LS you buy!
Old 02-13-13, 03:40 PM
RandyV
Advanced

Received 52 Likes on 41 Posts

Originally Posted by wchain
It seems if you buy a car that has a good service history, (i.e. at the Dealer or a Good Indy), that you wont have any issues.

The few niggling issues that I see (and I'm new to the 460 world), these are what I see from doing some searching around and reading. The following are:"
Great write-up, Chain - that should be added to the sticky.

Originally Posted by Nospinzone
Unfortunately most (probably all) '07 and '08 models will not qualify for a Lexus extended warranty.
Not true, sir. Not sure why many are under this impression?

I got a Lexus Platinum extended warranty for 4 yrs/40,000 miles on my 2007 with 86K miles on it when I bought it.
Old 02-14-13, 07:09 AM
FLYCT

Received 13 Likes on 10 Posts

Originally Posted by RandyV
Great write-up, Chain - that should be added to the sticky.

Not true, sir. Not sure why many are under this impression?

I got a Lexus Platinum extended warranty for 4 yrs/40,000 miles on my 2007 with 86K miles on it when I bought it.
There are two different types of Platinum warranties available from Lexus. New Vehicle VSA and USED Vehicle VSA. Coverages are slightly different.

http://www.lexusfinancial.com/consum...parison_unsclf

I think the reason why most are under this impression is that only the selling dealer can sell a USED Lexus Platinum VSA, and it must be purchased at time of sale.

If the car is within the original 4 yr / 50,000 mile original warranty then any dealer can sell it. Being any dealer can sell it there is competition and big discounts are available by shopping around.
Old 02-14-13, 07:58 AM
pilot12
Driver School Candidate

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

If you bring it to a dealer it is expensive. If you DIY or go to Toyota, or have a competent independent mechanic, the costs are normal and reasonable.
I just inquired yesterday about my upcoming 55,000 mile oil change, tire rotation and brake inspection.....
Lexus= $165
Toyota= $66
But Lexus has a guy in a tux to greet you out front and a hostess with free snacks in the waiting room.

What I don't know yet is if Toyota can/ will enter the visit in the Lexus data base or not. Anyone?
Old 02-14-13, 12:26 PM
wchain
Pit Crew

But Lexus has a guy in a tux to greet you out front and a hostess with free snacks in the waiting room.
Also a Lexus loaner car to drive free of charge. Aint nobody got time to wait.
Old 02-14-13, 12:37 PM
Nospinzone

Received 427 Likes on 330 Posts

Originally Posted by FLYCT
I think the reason why most are under this impression is that only the selling dealer can sell a USED Lexus Platinum VSA, and it must be purchased at time of sale.
Thanks for clarifying that. For some reason I was only thinking about cars still under original warranty.

I also realized I didn't answer OP's question about recommending an extended warranty. Lexusfan if you do a search of this forum you will find several threads where this is discussed. Some people would never buy one and others wouldn't go without one. There are pros and cons and a lot depends on your personal circumstances.

I debated it and at the last minute before my original warranty expired I bought a Lexus Platinum warranty. Although these cars are extremely reliable, if just about anything breaks the repairs are extremely expensive. Two members here had Nav screens go on them and one cost $11,000 and the other $13,000 to replace.
Old 02-14-13, 01:03 PM
FLYCT

I debated it and at the last minute before my original warranty expired I bought a Lexus Platinum warranty. Although these cars are extremely reliable, if just about anything breaks the repairs are extremely expensive. :
I own 4 Lexus Vehicles and all at covered with some sort of Lexus Warranty. 1 new car warranty, 2 CPO Warranties and one Lexus Platinum Extended warranty.

Generally speaking extended warranties do not pay off on the average but there is a comfort value knowing that your covered. The main reason I purchased the Platinum warranty was my wife's risk tolerance is low. I also know if I sell the car before the Platinum Warranty expires I can get a prorated refund for unused months, as I did with my Toyota Avalon.

JR
Old 02-14-13, 04:55 PM
fensterlip
Pole Position

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Aftermarket warranties, including Lexus have a lot of profit built into them. I wish they were regulated like other insurance products. I like ASC because they pay the dealer directly.
Old 02-14-13, 08:50 PM
wchain
Pit Crew

Originally Posted by fensterlip
Aftermarket warranties, including Lexus have a lot of profit built into them. I wish they were regulated like other insurance products. I like ASC because they pay the dealer directly.
I paid less than 1500 bucks for a 4 yr/48K extended warranty. Includes "high tech" coverage for the stereo, ML amp, Nav, etc.

I already had 1 air strut, 2 control arms and a blower motor replaced, and the warranty has paid for itself almost 2X. They just give the dealer a CC # and pay direct. Service writer said it was headache free.
Old 02-15-13, 04:47 AM
FLYCT

Originally Posted by fensterlip
Aftermarket warranties, including Lexus have a lot of profit built into them. I wish they were regulated like other insurance products.
Florida has laws requiring that all automotive warranties sold in Florida be sold at retail price. The purpose of this law was to prevent price gouging with dealers charging more than retail price. The unfortunate byproduct was that there is no discounting.

Fortunately one can buy a Lexus Platinum Warranty from out of state lexus or Toyota dealers at a discount.

I feel that buying aftermarket warranties is a littke more risky. I got burned many years ago with an aftermarket extended Warranty http://www.warrantygold.com/ when the underwriter went bankrupt and the warranty became worthless.

The service writer at my local Lexus dealer told me they had one of the companies they sold also go under. They ended up covering the policies out of their own pocket as customer goodwill.

JR
Old 02-15-13, 07:35 AM
Lexusfan89
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by wchain

The few niggling issues that I see (and I'm new to the 460 world), these are what I see from doing some searching around and reading. The following are:

-Lower Control Arm bushings (requires control arm replacement)
-Batteries seem to have a shorter life. (if you dont drive a lot, a Battery Tender helps)
-LWB Air Struts fail and are expensive
-Valve Spring recall sometimes requires a re-flash or you will have driveability issues
-Nav must be updated by dealer, you can't DIY
-Door switch plunger fails and the car does not 'see' you exit, so the headlights stay on and drain the battery
-Mark Levinson Amp will fail and replacement is pricey but there are places that can repair them
-Water pumps seem to be a frequent replacement item
-Brake Actuators have an updated service number, but those are still showing symptoms
-Factory Bridgestone EL42 and Michelin Pilot MXM4 tires dont last long at all.

That being said, I absolutely love my LS460L. I have owned many S Class cars, Infinitis, full sized Linc/Mercury sedans, and the Lexus experience is like non other.

I did purchase an extended warranty through my credit union , and have used it already with no issues at my local dealer. I would most definitely recommend getting a CPO car, or buying a good extended warranty (i.e. google search the name of the warranty company, look at ripoffreport and the bbb).

As far as maintenance costs go, I was told $180.00 for 5,000 mile intervals by a local dealer, which included Oil Change, Tire Rotation and a Multi Point inspection. Later, when I talked to a different advisor at the dealership, he told me the oil changes were $79.99 and the "World Class" Inspection was included, as well as a car wash. If you buy your tires from Discount Tire, NTB, Costco, Sams etc, they usually include lifetime rotate and balance. The 60K service was almost $1,100 dollars and many of the things listed on their list were not listed in the owners manual. I have also noticed that the Dealers "Service Menu" varies greatly with the Lexus maintenance booklets requirements.

Also, you may find a Toyota dealer that is willing to work on your car for basic stuff for much less. I was quoted $19.99 at the Toyota dealer, and when I asked about the additional quarts of oil thats required for the LS460, his reply was "Eh, whatever, I dont care, just bring it in."
Thanks for the reply oh man I was hoping for an 460L. But I know how expensive the air suspension can be....even though it was just a Lincoln in scarred for life when it comes to that so I I can cross the "L" of the list
Old 02-15-13, 07:36 AM
Lexusfan89
Driver School Candidate

This is clearly the most reliable luxury car you can buy.

Unfortunately most (probably all) '07 and '08 models will not qualify for a Lexus extended warranty. You are on your own with a third party insurer.

Oh, and welcome to CL. We can't wait to see which LS you buy!
Currently searching for the right one will definitely post pics
Old 02-15-13, 03:53 PM
RandyV
Advanced

Received 52 Likes on 41 Posts

Originally Posted by FLYCT
There are two different types of Platinum warranties available from Lexus. New Vehicle VSA and USED Vehicle VSA. Coverages are slightly different.

http://www.lexusfinancial.com/consum...parison_unsclf

If the car is within the original 4 yr / 50,000 mile original warranty then any dealer can sell it. Being any dealer can sell it there is competition and big discounts are available by shopping around.
That's good info - thanks.

Quick Reply: Can some give me some insight