LS - 4th Gen (2007-2017) Discussion topics related to the current flagship models LS460, LS460L and LS600H

Cruise out of Control?

Search this Thread

Old 03-02-13, 07:29 PM
williakz
Lexus Test Driver

Received 7 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by jlawr
Maybe you could just travel in the right lane and pass people as needed instead of "cruising" in the left lane forcing others to pass you on the right. Just sayin'
Is EVERYONE here willfully obtuse or is it a weird initiation rite of some sort visited on new LS owners?

The folks in the right lane are motoring along, as is their wont, at somewhat below the PSL. The folks, including me, in the left lane are zooming along at or above the PSL. The actual separation distance at 70-75mph in the left lane is NEVER more than THREE CAR LENGTHS. We have a stable system wherein the pokies are happy and the speedies, while never quite happy, are satisfied they are running as hot as possible. We have a Q-point!

UNTIL, that is, I push the fatal button and DRCC cracks open its gimlet eye, emits a low growl, and drools in anticipation of the havoc shortly to be visited on the hapless motorists of the interstate. I set speed to current with a downflick, up it by 5mph with a precise 0.75 second upflick, double-tap the distance separation button to short and WE'RE OFF!

But wait a minute. Why is the car slowing down? And how can I tell the guy behind me who's suddenly flashing his highs and beeping his horn that he just needs to hold his horses. DRCC will stop slowing in heavy traffic when it achieves a SEVEN or EIGHT CAR LENGTH gap in front of me. Oh, and how to let the pokes on my right now going faster than I am know that they are NOT to jump left into the huge gap DRCC is creating in front of their disbelieving eyes; no, they are to keep staring at the back of the truck they have been following for 25 miles! And then, when the pokes DO jump into the gap, causing me to slow again, is there anything at all I can say to the angry speedy behind me to keep him from cutting right into the space vacated by the pokes and then gunning it and cutting into my gap (raised middle finger and all), thereby causing me to slow again. The sinking feeling in the pit of my stomach is the realization that a new set of pokes and speedies are already moving into position for another round of the "DRCC Grand Slalom." Oh boy!

And this is what constitutes a state-of-the-art dynamic cruise control system? Sheesh...
Old 03-03-13, 08:07 PM
jlawr
Lead Lap

Received 22 Likes on 14 Posts

If you use your cruise in the right lane you won't irritate other drivers. Use the left lane for passing only, then get back in thr right lane. Jusy common road courtesy. Nothing obtuse about it.
Old 03-03-13, 08:24 PM
williakz
Lexus Test Driver

Originally Posted by jlawr
...Use the left lane for passing only...
Where are you getting that from? A 1950's driving manual? Maybe things are different in Texas (lotsa space, few folks), but in the real world, there's so many cars on the road, it is IMPOSSIBLE for everyone to travel in just one lane. The NEW normal situation (in case you missed it) is slow traffic in right lane, faster traffic in left lane with NO PASSING possible. Thus, your trite "advice" is nonsense and has no application to real-world conditions - much like DRCC, in fact.

My carp about freeway driving with DRCC is that it works just fine when you don't need it (little or no traffic) and it fails when you do (moderate to heavy traffic). Great function that...
Old 03-03-13, 09:40 PM
FLYCT

Received 13 Likes on 10 Posts

Originally Posted by williakz
Where are you getting that from? A 1950's driving manual? Maybe things are different in Texas (lotsa space, few folks), but in the real world, there's so many cars on the road, it is IMPOSSIBLE for everyone to travel in just one lane. The NEW normal situation (in case you missed it) is slow traffic in right lane, faster traffic in left lane with NO PASSING possible. Thus, your trite "advice" is nonsense and has no application to real-world conditions - much like DRCC, in fact.

My carp about freeway driving with DRCC is that it works just fine when you don't need it (little or no traffic) and it fails when you do (moderate to heavy traffic). Great function that...
Mr Williakz,

Comments like "Obtuse, trite "advice" is nonsense"????.. Perhaps it's just me but your tone strikes me as being less than polite. This has not been my experience from others I've met from Alabama.

If you refer to your owner's manual I think you will find that it states something like DRCC is designed ONLY to be used in LIGHT TO MODERATE traffic, not moderate to HEAVY traffic. Please correct me if your manual recommends that DRCC should be used in HEAVY traffic.

If I were travelling at 75 MPH, and you were on my six less than 3 car lengths behind me, I would not be happy with you.

I have used Dynamic Criuse Control since 2008 and found it very helpfull when used as designed. I dont think a reasonable person would feel comfortable with DRCC engaged at 75 MPH and trusting it to maintain 3 or less car lengths behind traffic with your feet flat on the floor. I rarely used the short distance setting.

Oh yeah. Read the Law in Alabama. Section 32-5a-39
http://law.onecle.com/alabama/motor-.../32-5A-89.html

The minimum legal following distance at 75 MPH in Aabama is 150 feet.

JR

Last edited by FLYCT; 03-03-13 at 09:47 PM.
Old 03-03-13, 10:37 PM
williakz
Lexus Test Driver

Originally Posted by FLYCT
If you refer to your owner's manual I think you will find that it states something like DRCC is designed ONLY to be used in LIGHT TO MODERATE traffic, not moderate to HEAVY traffic. Please correct me if your manual recommends that DRCC should be used in HEAVY traffic.
Like I said and you agree, works great when not needed, useless when most needed.

If I were travelling at 75 MPH, and you were on my six less than 3 car lengths behind me, I would not be happy with you.
I don't know where you drive, JR, but on any decent sized city's arterials during moderate to heavy traffic, you CANNOT maintain more than three lengths gap fore OR aft AT ANY SPEED. If one does develop, it is instantly obliterated by a vehicle seeking to increase its instantaneous and thus its average speed.

I have used Dynamic Criuse Control since 2008 and found it very helpfull when used as designed. I dont think a reasonable person would feel comfortable with DRCC engaged at 75 MPH and trusting it to maintain 3 or less car lengths behind traffic with your feet flat on the floor. I rarely used the short distance setting.
Again, like I said and you agree, function as implemented is useless.

The minimum legal following distance at 75 MPH in Aabama is 150 feet.
That's for ticket-writing purposes after the fact, genius. Stop by the side of the road sometime, figure out 150 ft spacing, and see how many vehicles maintain 150ft or greater spacing. That's EIGHT CAR LENGTHS! WTF are you arguing, anyways? Surely someone that can breathe and blink at the same time knows the conditions you are describing do not exist in the real world. Wise up![/QUOTE]
Old 03-03-13, 11:36 PM
FLYCT

Received 13 Likes on 10 Posts

Like I said and you agree, works great when not needed, useless when most needed.

I don't know where you drive, JR, but on any decent sized city's arterials during moderate to heavy traffic, you CANNOT maintain more than three lengths gap fore OR aft AT ANY SPEED..........
That's for ticket-writing purposes after the fact, genius. Stop by the side of the road sometime, figure out 150 ft spacing, and see how many vehicles maintain 150ft or greater spacing. That's EIGHT CAR LENGTHS! WTF are you arguing, anyways? Surely someone that can breathe and blink at the same time knows the conditions you are describing do not exist in the real world. Wise up!
[/QUOTE]

Hopefully you feel better now after your rant.

What I have gathered from your postings is that you feel that Lexus designed an option that is useless when needed the most. The reason you feel this way is because they failed to program it to allow you to illegally follow too closely. And you think i should Wise up?

I found Dynamic Cruise to be very useful as long as it's used as designed in light to moderate traffic.

Oh I forgot to add, you also feel that I am a genius and you "can breathe and blink at the same time" Now that we can agree on.

JR

Last edited by FLYCT; 03-04-13 at 12:21 AM.
Old 03-04-13, 08:58 AM
williakz
Lexus Test Driver

Originally Posted by FLYCT
...[Lexus] failed to program it to allow you to illegally follow too closely...
Yep, that's my carp. It is certainly not the first time, nor will it be the last, that conformance with government regulations produces "solutions" that are suboptimal. That the real world does not function in accordance with rules arbitrarily applied agonizes a certain type of person. Very unfortunate for all concerned.
Old 03-04-13, 11:23 AM
bitkahuna
Lexus Fanatic

Received 2,418 Likes on 1,584 Posts

williakz - while we welcome spirited discussion, please show more tolerance and respect or exit the thread. examples in bold above are not welcomed. if you have comments about my post here, please pm me or use the 'report post' triangular icon to share comments with moderators. thank you.
Old 03-04-13, 11:42 AM
williakz
Lexus Test Driver

Sorry to all for snark.