LS - 4th Gen (2007-2017) Discussion topics related to the current flagship models LS460, LS460L and LS600H

My progress...

Search this Thread

Old 03-07-13, 07:37 AM
CJITTY
Lead Lap

Received 150 Likes on 112 Posts

A Warranty regardless of Lexus, 3rd Party or Your Uncle Ray Ray and dem....if you roll up in there with that car dumped on coils with those 22s and it has anything to do with Trans, Brakes, Struts/Suspension components, engine, etc etc...you will get the 3rd degree and have to work extra hard to prove those things didn't cause the failure....most warranty companies, including Lexus CPO's provider are in the business to make money, not fix things unless the part has completely failed. Don't give them an excuse to find an opening to deny you. Even though there are laws about this, they will fight you. My dad had an old cadillac deville with a 3rd party warranty. He had the alternative caddy wheels on it and they tried to deny him a suspension component. Extreme case which they ended up losing real fast and had to cover the claim, but my Dad knew better. The oem wheel was the same diameter and width as what came with it...its a shady biz..but beware is all i can say. Some dealers are much cooler than others about this, but it takes me about 45 min to get my car back to stock setup, so guess what I do each time I need warranty work done ;-)

Last edited by CJITTY; 03-07-13 at 07:40 AM.
Old 03-07-13, 09:02 AM
broken_tsi
Lead Lap

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by adamls2
Nope, no warranty. I'm going to lower the front on Friday so when I have the wheels off I'll snap a few pics of the front modifications.

I got my car back today. Turned out that when I changed out the brake pads, something wasn't done correctly...I forgot the exact explanation they gave me...but they bleeded out the brakes and all is good again. Since my car is pretty modded, and now with coilover suspension, even if I had warranty they would still blame it on me for modifying. So I now need to either shell out $4400 bucks for the dealer, or find a different solution....any advice?
I'm not understanding this. They bled the brakes and want 4400?!
Old 03-07-13, 10:30 AM
lexusondubs
dubsonlexus

Originally Posted by I8ABMR
So sorry to gear about the brake controller drama buddy. Did it just come out of nowhere? Damn ! They can only deny you the warranty work if the modification caused the failure directly. I don't see how coil overs or aftermarket rotors would create an issue like that. I wonder of member Lexusondubs had a modified car as well. I've never heard of this issue before
not modded yet

So do you think it's worth buying extended warranty? I'm not too knowledgeable about this, but I can still buy warranty even after the factory one is done correct?
yes get the warranty lexus platinum if its offered better than CPO !!
Old 03-07-13, 11:02 AM
CJITTY
Lead Lap

Received 150 Likes on 112 Posts

Originally Posted by broken_tsi
I'm not understanding this. They bled the brakes and want 4400?!
He found out he needed control arms too
Old 03-07-13, 12:31 PM
broken_tsi
Lead Lap

Were they fronts or rears? If you can wait, maybe Figs will have something out in some weeks or months. At least then they will be adjustable as well!
Old 03-07-13, 06:26 PM
adamls2
Lexus Champion

Received 9 Likes on 8 Posts

Sorry, I didn't clarify what is exacty wrong. The problem with the brakes was that the car must of been on when I changed out thr pads, so they did not reset tbe correct location of the pads distance to the rotor causing the brake system to freak out. The bled the brake fluid and reset it correctly. They charged me only 150 for that.

The second oart is that they discovered that the bushings in thr control arms are shot, causing the alignment to mess up when the car is under braking and acceleration. This is a common problem with our cars. They quoted me me $4400 to change out the control arms. The tech said he would wait until they are worn out a little more before replacing. This is why I'm asking about whether to get warranty to cover it.

I'm thinking that I will just get the arms and install them myself for less than half the price. Now, the problem here is that Lexus updated the design of these arms to prevent the wear that they are going through. I need to gather the part numbers of the newer control arms.

Another thing I'm considering to do is sending my current arms out to Figs or a similar company to make aftermarket arms, but the problem is that the car would be out of commision for awhile.

I will do more reasearch on warranty plans, and try to find out if they will cover items, even with all my modifications.

For now I have set the dampning to the softest setting for all 4 coilovers to reduce as much stress as possible to the arms. I'm pleased to say that the ride is excellent and very smooth cranked all the way down.

Also, for those of you that follow me on Instagram, you already know that there is surpise tomorrow

Thanks to all those iv'e been contacting, and have been giving me advice and information!
Old 03-07-13, 06:48 PM
broken_tsi
Lead Lap

Figs mentioned something about the bushings already, I don't know if they have done something already or not. I'll ask them.
Old 03-07-13, 06:53 PM
lei_z_ass
Driver

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Sorry, I didn't clarify what is exacty wrong. The problem with the brakes was that the car must of been on when I changed out thr pads, so they did not reset tbe correct location of the pads distance to the rotor causing the brake system to freak out. The bled the brake fluid and reset it correctly. They charged me only 150 for that.

The second oart is that they discovered that the bushings in thr control arms are shot, causing the alignment to mess up when the car is under braking and acceleration. This is a common problem with our cars. They quoted me me $4400 to change out the control arms. The tech said he would wait until they are worn out a little more before replacing. This is why I'm asking about whether to get warranty to cover it.

I'm thinking that I will just get the arms and install them myself for less than half the price. Now, the problem here is that Lexus updated the design of these arms to prevent the wear that they are going through. I need to gather the part numbers of the newer control arms.

Another thing I'm considering to do is sending my current arms out to Figs or a similar company to make aftermarket arms, but the problem is that the car would be out of commision for awhile.

I will do more reasearch on warranty plans, and try to find out if they will cover items, even with all my modifications.

For now I have set the dampning to the softest setting for all 4 coilovers to reduce as much stress as possible to the arms. I'm pleased to say that the ride is excellent and very smooth cranked all the way down.

Also, for those of you that follow me on Instagram, you already know that there is surpise tomorrow

Thanks to all those iv'e been contacting, and have been giving me advice and information!
If you do decide to change them out yourself make sure to pickup new castle nuts as well if the don't come with the assembly. I thought castle nuts would be easy to find but they are not especially since the thread pattern is metric. I ended up replacing all 5 in the front for each side.
Old 03-07-13, 07:17 PM
adamls2
Lexus Champion

Figs mentioned something about the bushings already, I don't know if they have done something already or not. I'll ask them.
Thanks!

Originally Posted by lei_z_ass
If you do decide to change them out yourself make sure to pickup new castle nuts as well if the don't come with the assembly. I thought castle nuts would be easy to find but they are not especially since the thread pattern is metric. I ended up replacing all 5 in the front for each side.
Great tip! Do you happen to have a link to those? Thanks again for all your help.
Old 03-08-13, 07:47 AM
broken_tsi
Lead Lap

I'm going up there next week so they can take some measurements for the bushings. Stay tuned, good sir.
Old 03-08-13, 10:21 AM
adamls2
Lexus Champion

I'm going up there next week so they can take some measurements for the bushings. Stay tuned, good sir.
Very exiting to hear!!!!!