LS - 4th Gen (2007-2017) Discussion topics related to the current flagship models LS460, LS460L and LS600H

Question about purchasing a LS

Search this Thread

Old 03-07-13, 11:23 AM
Nash
Pole Position

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Question about purchasing a LS

I had a previous LS i purchased with no previous accidents and im back looking for another. Just curious have any of you or you know someone who purchased a used LS with an accident reported on it's carfax exc? Ive seen some with less than 60k on them and look awesome but have the history of an accident. Parts of me want to talk them way down b/c of it and try to get one and other parts say just wait on clean one. The prob i have a small window where i only want a white 07 with decent miles and they are hard to come by esp. without an accident reported. Any feedback would be appreciative cause i can't decide.
Old 03-07-13, 11:29 AM
CJITTY
Lead Lap

Received 150 Likes on 112 Posts

Don't let that stop you from getting a good deal. An accident can occur when a spouse backs into the door or bumper or fender...hardly a crisis. Frame damage is the big thing you want to avoid. You should take a car you are seriously considering purchasing to an independent body shop, not affiliated with the selling dealer..or hire one of these inspection services companies to really tell you what they think. A large majority of cars on the market have had some sort of damage. Even Lexus sells vehicles with prior damage, usually minor and certainly not cars involved in major accidents..at least they typically don't but a good repair can hide history.....but whether a kid running a bike full speed into the door of a car sitting in a driveway, a 10mph fender bender, stuff happens. As long as it is repaired correctly, it is no big deal. You can always negotiate down..and remember, many cars with drama don't have a blip on carfax at all...make sure to get an autocheck by experian, a carfax and an independent inspection to compare against. If there are some obvious discrepancies, it will be revealed with the independent inspection....it will let you know if that "fender bender" wasn't more than a 55mph bang up against a guardrail...good luck

Last edited by CJITTY; 03-07-13 at 11:33 AM.
Old 03-07-13, 11:39 AM
Nash
Pole Position

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Thanks for the information, def. helpful and i appreciate it!
Old 03-07-13, 12:29 PM
broken_tsi
Lead Lap

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Also if you can find one CPO, I don't believe that they can certify it if a certain number (2-3?) panels were replaced.
Old 03-07-13, 01:36 PM
Nospinzone

Received 419 Likes on 323 Posts

I agree with CJITTY, there are accidents and then there are accidents. Within about a year my wife's Jag was rearended twice. Neither time was the damage substantial, and we have a first class auto body shop that repaired it both times. I challenge even an expert to detect anything different. I've looked at the body panels in all kinds of light at every possible angle and you can't tell it was repainted. Additionally, only OEM parts were used.

Now if the impact was severe and there was structual damage, that is another story. I'm only guessing here, but if a 2007 had a bent frame, the insurance company would probably total the vehicle and it would have to be sold under a salvage title (of course I only know Mass. laws, it may be different in other states).

If you find a car you really like and it has been in an accident, do your due diligence. If it is not severe, go for it. BUT, certainly use that point as a bargaining tactic to get the price down!
Old 03-07-13, 02:47 PM
CJITTY
Lead Lap

Received 150 Likes on 112 Posts

Originally Posted by broken_tsi
Also if you can find one CPO, I don't believe that they can certify it if a certain number (2-3?) panels were replaced.
I heard that too, but I don't think that is a standard. If the car frame wise is good without major surgery needing to be done..maybe replace with some oem panels and paint, they can still sell and profit from that. Most accidents are minor that occur in stop and go, school parking lots, shopping malls and stuff like that. It can be significant cost. Usually, if insurance is involved, that is when it will show up on carfax reports and such. If you look at many of the CPO Lexus's on the lot, they had some paint work done..either prior to auction or the dealer themselves. If you have a paint meter, you can test yourself. It is very hard to find a mint car after 6 years that wasn't a grandma car sitting in the garage all day...they are out there, but don't be scared to have one with a couple scars...because if you drive the car as you should, it will get them anyway
Old 03-07-13, 03:29 PM
broken_tsi
Lead Lap

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

My car has a few small nicks and what not. I definitely wouldn't pass up on a car for minor work.