LS - 4th Gen (2007-2017) Discussion topics related to the current flagship models LS460, LS460L and LS600H

Vibration happening after wheel locks were installed...

Search this Thread

Old 03-26-13, 07:34 PM
silver305
Pole Position

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts
Default Vibration happening after wheel locks were installed...

has anyone here installed aftermarket wheels with thegorilla lock set (20 locks total)? i ask because after installing my wheels, i had slight vibration from 68-75mph (nothing really crazy, but i feel it) and now that i installed the gorilla guard locks for added safety today, i seem to be getting slight vibration at lower speeds (40mph more or less).. could it be due to the wheel guard locks?
Old 03-26-13, 08:13 PM
Grouchy
Pole Position

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Wasn't your wheel vibration because of the balancing?
Old 03-26-13, 09:12 PM
CJITTY
Lead Lap

Received 150 Likes on 112 Posts

I hope you have acorn and not ball seat lugs
Old 03-26-13, 09:18 PM
Lextrician
Lexus Test Driver

I have the gorilla lock system and mines ride cool... have the balance rechecked lug nuts shouldn't cause balancing issues unless you got that wrong type for the wheels..
Old 03-26-13, 10:01 PM
silver305
Pole Position

Originally Posted by CJITTY
I hope you have acorn and not ball seat lugs
I bought the ones you recommended to buy on amazon in one of your threads.. I bought the wheel kit and the wheel lock guards you specified to buy for added safety..
Old 03-26-13, 10:09 PM
Grouchy
Pole Position

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by silver305
I bought the ones you recommended to buy on amazon in one of your threads.. I bought the wheel kit and the wheel lock guards you specified to buy for added safety..
Speaking of those on Amazon. When I put in my car in the compatibility chart, it says "This does not fit your 2008 Lexus LS460"
Old 03-27-13, 05:10 AM
CJITTY
Lead Lap

Received 150 Likes on 112 Posts

Well..I know two other people with LS460s and these work just fine WITH THEIR AFTERMARKET WHEELS thousands of miles and 2 years later..me included. Of course it will say they wont work on the LS because it assumes oem wheels and our oem lugs work with oem wheels only. Aftermarket wheels are universal and the Vossen wheels like most others have a universal acorn style. The Gorilla locks are made for that universal fitment. I never use these for my oem wheels because the oem lugs have that wide flat base to fit inside that wide lug hole..those oem lugs will not fit vossen wheels but the wheel design is acorn style lugs with tapered seat...

There are plenty of amateur installers out there and mounting tires to wheels like this along with ensuring correct hubring installation and proper balancing along with correct torque and most importantly returning for a retorque of 103 ft lbs after 25 to 50 miles is crucial for new wheels mounted to a car for the first time. Bottom line here is I never had an issue and I even had discount tire as well as butler wheel and tire confirm these gorilla lugs are correct with my vossen wheels...

As far as balancing..I love discount tires but when it comes to getting it perfect..I had to go to butler here in ATL...they do 22s all day and specialize in aftermarket wheels so their techs know all the tricks because balancing aftermarket wheels is an art..I have had countless aftermarket wheels in my 23 years of driving cars and it is hard to get it just right..but thank God for these guys at Butler who provided me glass smooth balances

Last edited by CJITTY; 03-27-13 at 05:23 AM.
Old 03-27-13, 05:38 AM
silver305
Pole Position

Well..I know two other people with LS460s and these work just fine WITH THEIR AFTERMARKET WHEELS thousands of miles and 2 years later..me included. Of course it will say they wont work on the LS because it assumes oem wheels and our oem lugs work with oem wheels only. Aftermarket wheels are universal and the Vossen wheels like most others have a universal acorn style. The Gorilla locks are made for that universal fitment. I never use these for my oem wheels because the oem lugs have that wide flat base to fit inside that wide lug hole..those oem lugs will not fit vossen wheels but the wheel design is acorn style lugs with tapered seat...

There are plenty of amateur installers out there and mounting tires to wheels like this along with ensuring correct hubring installation and proper balancing along with correct torque and most importantly returning for a retorque of 103 ft lbs after 25 to 50 miles is crucial for new wheels mounted to a car for the first time. Bottom line here is I never had an issue and I even had discount tire as well as butler wheel and tire confirm these gorilla lugs are correct with my vossen wheels...

As far as balancing..I love discount tires but when it comes to getting it perfect..I had to go to butler here in ATL...they do 22s all day and specialize in aftermarket wheels so their techs know all the tricks because balancing aftermarket wheels is an art..I have had countless aftermarket wheels in my 23 years of driving cars and it is hard to get it just right..but thank God for these guys at Butler who provided me glass smooth balances
well yesterday when i went to the shop they said sometimes it could even be a "bad" new tire that has a slight hump or just isn't perfect from the factory. He said he has seen it happy before. They have that road force machine which is what they supposedly used to balance my wheels. We dont have discount tires here in miami so that is not an option either. If they dont get it right this Saturday then i will go off and things will magically balance correctly. I have gone off before in other situations and things get fixed. I feel like if you are in the business of selling wheels, you should have the proper tools to make the wheels work as best as possible on your vehicle. I mean, 3 grand isn't exactly pocket change and i didnt buy used wheels/tires so there isnt really an excuse.
On another note, i noticed yesterday that these wheels are super sensitive. They chip with just anything. I dropped the wheel lock key from the wheel lock guards and it landed on the "face" silver part of the rim and it chipped it...
Old 03-27-13, 05:42 AM
Tee

Received 68 Likes on 57 Posts

I been running the same Gorilla lug and lock set for almost a yr now no issues, you need to get a proper balance from a shop that knows what they are doing.
Old 03-27-13, 05:58 AM
silver305
Pole Position

You have a pm...
Old 03-27-13, 07:40 AM
305Busa
Instructor

Received 48 Likes on 28 Posts

Did you have hub centric rings installed at the wheel shop? You also have a couple of PMs.

Last edited by 305Busa; 03-27-13 at 07:45 AM.
Old 03-27-13, 08:33 AM
silver305
Pole Position

Originally Posted by 305Busa
Did you have hub centric rings installed at the wheel shop? You also have a couple of PMs.
i mean i have to believe they installed them. If you re a wheel shop and forget to install them, i will never buy anything from you again. That is like buying a tv from you and you forgot to give me the remote control. That is just stupid, but i know there are a few "not so bright" places out there.

check your pms..
Old 03-27-13, 11:56 AM
I8ABMR
Lexus Fanatic

Received 102 Likes on 67 Posts

Originally Posted by silver305
well yesterday when i went to the shop they said sometimes it could even be a "bad" new tire that has a slight hump or just isn't perfect from the factory. He said he has seen it happy before. They have that road force machine which is what they supposedly used to balance my wheels. We dont have discount tires here in miami so that is not an option either. If they dont get it right this Saturday then i will go off and things will magically balance correctly. I have gone off before in other situations and things get fixed. I feel like if you are in the business of selling wheels, you should have the proper tools to make the wheels work as best as possible on your vehicle. I mean, 3 grand isn't exactly pocket change and i didnt buy used wheels/tires so there isnt really an excuse.
On another note, i noticed yesterday that these wheels are super sensitive. They chip with just anything. I dropped the wheel lock key from the wheel lock guards and it landed on the "face" silver part of the rim and it chipped it...
I feel your pain. I had a bad Continental when I first got my 22's and it was annoying with the vibration. I took the car in and got Pirellis. Now it got even worse. The tech at the dealership put the car in the car and put in drive and I could clearly see the tread lines on both rear tires going left and right. No more Pirellis for me. I am going to go with Michelins . I have read good stuff about the Nitto INVO as long as the car isn't dropped. I have had dropped cars for years before my LS so I am used to the vibration and rebalance drama but the only tire in all the years that went on the first time with need to rebalance and no vibration , as well as the best wear even when lowered was the Michelin Pilot sport. They are almsot 2k for a set but I am done with vibration and I need to try the highest quality tires. ( even if they wear out very fast ).
Old 03-27-13, 12:04 PM
silver305
Pole Position

Originally Posted by I8ABMR
I feel your pain. I had a bad Continental when I first got my 22's and it was annoying with the vibration. I took the car in and got Pirellis. Now it got even worse. The tech at the dealership put the car in the car and put in drive and I could clearly see the tread lines on both rear tires going left and right. No more Pirellis for me. I am going to go with Michelins . I have read good stuff about the Nitto INVO as long as the car isn't dropped. I have had dropped cars for years before my LS so I am used to the vibration and rebalance drama but the only tire in all the years that went on the first time with need to rebalance and no vibration , as well as the best wear even when lowered was the Michelin Pilot sport. They are almsot 2k for a set but I am done with vibration and I need to try the highest quality tires. ( even if they wear out very fast ).
daaaamn 2 grand for tires???????????? i am not sure i want to pay that kind of money for tires..
Old 03-27-13, 12:14 PM
I8ABMR
Lexus Fanatic

Received 102 Likes on 67 Posts

either do I am I am tempted to try the Nittos forst but if I have vibration Im going to lose it. I even went on the internet to see if discount tire will price match other sites and they will but after mount and balance it came to $2023 out the door. The INVOs will probably run closer to $1400 AND they have a much better tread wear rating. ( 300 vs 180). I have noticed though that they used PS2s on a lot of higher end luxury cars a few years back. I dont see them as much any more. Probably because of the price and the wear. I have had a mild vibration in my LS for over 2 years now and its all pointing to crappy tires. I never had defective tires when I ran 245's and 275s on my GS and G35 but with the 295/25/22 size on the LS I have still yet to get a good set of tires. I wonder if there is higher defect rate with HUGE tires

Quick Reply: Vibration happening after wheel locks were installed...