LS - 4th Gen (2007-2017) Discussion topics related to the current flagship models LS460, LS460L and LS600H

Help me. Best oil for LS 460 2007

Search this Thread

Old 08-17-19, 11:13 AM
abs
Pole Position

Received 21 Likes on 19 Posts

Originally Posted by 0133642
Any, and I mean ANY 0w-20 or 5w-20 will be fine. You’ll never know the difference.
Not necessarily accurate, as with everything it depends.
20 weight oil has a max HTHS of 2.7. If that oil is diluted by fuel from the DI system or breaks down a bit and loses viscosity, the HTHS can drop to 2.5 or less at which point wear can accelerate. I'm sure the 9 quart sump was added to help compensate for that, but given reports of oil consumption by 150k miles, makes me question if that was enough. I'm willing to accept a slight loss of fuel economy now to gain engine longevity. 5W-30 will typically have an HTHS of 3.0 which offers a margin of safety for viscosity break down compared to the 0/5W-20.

As a point of reference, my LS430 with 185k on it does not consume any oil. It has a sump that's half the size, and it runs on 5W-30. There are many examples of that engine going hundreds of thousands of miles and not consuming any oil even at very high mileage. Granted the engine in the Ls460 is different, but this begs the question why so many LS460s are burning oil at only 150k miles?

If you are curious to learn more about these considerations, feel free to do some research on HTHS (High Temperature High Shear).
The following 2 users liked this post by abs:
DrQuality (08-07-21), Mythicalni (08-06-20)
Old 08-17-19, 11:21 AM
LeX2K
Lexus Champion

Received 2,838 Likes on 2,398 Posts

Amsoil products are some of the best out there.

Old 08-17-19, 02:43 PM
SW17LS
Lexus Fanatic

Received 2,723 Likes on 1,950 Posts

Originally Posted by Lexus2000
Amsoil products are some of the best out there.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TWuKvnCq1js
Here's the question, do you believe that a car's engine is not protected if you use Pennzoil Ultra Platinum? I don't see how you can make an argument that using that oil is a detriment to the engine. In fact, if you watch his video he uses SuperTech or Amazon oil, despite Amsoil being "the best" he doesn't choose to use it.

Thats the point, Amsoil fans run around and say that its heads and shoulders above the rest and insinuate that other oils just aren't satisfactory and theres no evidence to suggest that.

Now, what I do like are Amsoil's oil filters. I use them, and Toyota actually sells them rebranded as their own TRD oil filters.

Last edited by SW17LS; 08-17-19 at 03:00 PM.
Old 08-17-19, 02:44 PM
SW17LS
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by GunnyFitz
L.m.f.a.o !!!!
This is a great example of the "zealotry" I'm talking about. In response to my question "how are you going to tell?" theres no answer, no rationale, nothing to back it up. Its just this unflinching belief that its "incredibly superior" with no reasoning behind that other than "its Amsoil".
Old 08-17-19, 07:23 PM
abs
Pole Position

Unless you have results/data/UOA to back this up it’s purely speculation. But thanks for the quick lesson.
Please just use the Google and search for "HTHS engine wear" and you will find plenty of research papers and documentation which go far beyond oil UOAs and anecdotal beliefs.

The second graph on this web page is very good: https://expert.q8oils.com/automotive/low-hths-oils

Last edited by abs; 08-17-19 at 07:45 PM.
Old 08-17-19, 07:42 PM
sha4000
Lexus Test Driver

Received 337 Likes on 290 Posts

Originally Posted by FunFact
Oh god, here comes the offended scam artist. I have forgotten more about oil than you'll ever know, no matter how much of the same exact BS that you and your scam artist buddies copy and paste.
"I'm not part of a pyramid scheme! I just have to sell X numbers of units to move up in ranks, and sell to the lower ranks to get a higher rank! And I have to buy XYZ units." The only ignorance is epitomized by the person selling the product.

The scam is not the oil itself, it's the company. AMSOIL is no better than any other high-end oil, nor is there third-party, objective data that has ever shown it to be superior to something like Motul. All you have is highly-biased, unverifiable claims that you use to push your nonsense.
AMSOIL uses a decent base stock, just like some other companies, and the additives and content are all just fine. But, your car is not going to run any better, nor is it going to run any longer than if you just changed the oil regularly with a decent oil.

Now, let the anecdotal evidence and copy-pasted BS about your zinc content and base stock begin. And don't let them be any anecdotal evidence about cars with under 1,500whp.
I like the way you laid out your statement. I never used Amsoil because I refuse to pay that absurd price but I have nothing against it. Then again, Ive put a couple 100k miles over the span of several vehicles using Mobil, Penz, Quaker and never had ANY engine issues. Presently I've been using Supertech in the GS and both LS for over 100k between them. The only brands that I'm loyal to are Lexus and my Macbook Pro because they are so reliable but even that can change.
Old 08-17-19, 08:31 PM
NotFasty
Pole Position

Received 57 Likes on 45 Posts

Any, and I mean ANY 0w-20 or 5w-20 will be fine. You’ll never know the difference.
Someone here sang the praises of the OEM Toyota oil so I decided to try it for my first change on my 2012... I'm going to monitor MPG and determine if it's any better than I was getting with whatever oil the selling dealer had used. Stay tuned!
Old 08-18-19, 09:18 AM
SW17LS
Lexus Fanatic

As someone who chooses to use the Toyota oil, there are no "praises" to sing. Its good oil, its what Toyota had Mobil develop for use in their engines, and I like using that. I don't expect it to have any impact on the longevity or MPG or whatever of my vehicle beyond any other quality oil.
Old 08-18-19, 09:32 AM
abs
Pole Position

Apparently the Lexus dealer may not automatically use TGMO (Toyota Genuine Motor Oil). If you want the dealer to use the Toyota oil you will have to ask for it and likely pay more for your oil change. There have been documented reports on this site of the dealer using bulk/generic oil, often not synthetic and sometimrs 5W-30 instead of 5w-20. The dealer will typically use a generic bulk oil. TGMO is a good oil, the formulation has changed a few times over the years as well. If you want it, ask for it and expect to pay more for it.
Old 08-18-19, 09:34 AM
SW17LS
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by abs
Apparently the Lexus dealer may not automatically use TGMO (Toyota Genuine Motor Oil). If you want the dealer to use the Toyota oil you will have to ask for it and likely pay more for your oil change. There have been documented reports on this site of the dealer using bulk/generic oil, often not synthetic and sometimrs 5W-30 instead of 5w-20. The dealer will typically use a generic bulk oil. TGMO is a good oil, the formulation has changed a few times over the years as well. If you want it, ask for it and expect to pay more for it.
This is 100% true. I buy my own.
Old 08-18-19, 10:16 AM
LeX2K
Lexus Champion

Received 2,838 Likes on 2,398 Posts

Originally Posted by SW17LS
Here's the question, do you believe that a car's engine is not protected if you use Pennzoil Ultra Platinum? I don't see how you can make an argument that using that oil is a detriment to the engine. In fact, if you watch his video he uses SuperTech or Amazon oil, despite Amsoil being "the best" he doesn't choose to use it.

Thats the point, Amsoil fans run around and say that its heads and shoulders above the rest and insinuate that other oils just aren't satisfactory and theres no evidence to suggest that.

Now, what I do like are Amsoil's oil filters. I use them, and Toyota actually sells them rebranded as their own TRD oil filters.
What in the world are you rambling about? You are attributing all manner of things I never said or even suggested. All I said was Amsoil motor oil is excellent in fact one of the best, and posted a test to back it up. If you watch the entire series you'll see how Amsoil made it to the final test. There are other excellent oils out there but there had to be a winner. Is that something you can understand?

Think before you make stupid accusations like I'm an Amsoil "fanboy".
The following users liked this post:
GunnyFitz (08-21-19)
Old 08-19-19, 09:04 AM
SW17LS
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by Lexus2000
What in the world are you rambling about? You are attributing all manner of things I never said or even suggested. All I said was Amsoil motor oil is excellent in fact one of the best, and posted a test to back it up. If you watch the entire series you'll see how Amsoil made it to the final test. There are other excellent oils out there but there had to be a winner. Is that something you can understand?

Think before you make stupid accusations like I'm an Amsoil "fanboy".
I never said you were an Amsoil fanboy, I simply asked you a question. Why so defensive? That would be what makes people think you're a "fanboy"

You didn't answer my question though...does it have to be "the best"? What real world gains is a car owner getting using this oil vs something like Pennzoil Ultra Platinum? These things are subjective, one "reviewer" will find it the best the next one will find something else the best. In fact, on the chart of the review you posted it clearly reads "RESULTS ARE SUBJECTIVE".

My issue is the continued assertion that this oil is THE BEST, and the basic laughing off of anybody who doesnt feel the same way without any backup or basis for that reaction. THAT makes me not want to use Amsoil oil, nothing having to do with the oil itself.

The fact is, its a high quality oil among a fairly large group of high quality oils, using any of which will provide your engine with excellent protection. If that was the position of Amsoil fans, I'd probably use it.

The other thing you have to think about if you have a car that's still under warranty, is Amsoil's Siganture oil is not API certified, and if you were to have some sort of problem that could be linked back to engine oil the manufacturer will try and use that to void your coverage.

Last edited by SW17LS; 08-19-19 at 09:22 AM.
Old 08-19-19, 02:12 PM
Doublebase
Pole Position

Received 355 Likes on 245 Posts

Regarding boutique oils (Amsoil, Redline, etc). I think it really depends on what you plan on for oil change intervals to justify the added cost, if you're a 5,000 mile OCI person? You really will be fine with almost any Synthetic on sale at Walmart. If you're doing extended drains? Ok perhaps you look into the more expensive stuff.

Me? I'm done with extended drain experimentation. The way I look at it...when you're on the 10,000 mile oil change, the oil in that engine (regardless what it is) isn't better than the oil that's been changed twice in the same duration. My two cents.
Old 08-19-19, 02:41 PM
SW17LS
Lexus Fanatic

Agreed, I think you're better served by putting the additional cost into more frequent drains. For what I pay for TGMO, I can change the oil every 5k miles for roughly what it would cost to change the oil with Amsoil every 10k miles. If you look at what say, Mobil 1 costs per quart you could change it every 3k miles and come out a wash.
The following users liked this post:
Doublebase (08-19-19)
Old 08-19-19, 02:57 PM
sdls
Lexus Champion

Received 294 Likes on 242 Posts

Amsoil users typically advertise a very long OCI. I've seen some people say they run 25,000+ on Amsoil.

Quick Reply: Help me. Best oil for LS 460 2007