LS - 4th Gen (2007-2017) Discussion topics related to the current flagship models LS460, LS460L and LS600H

Help me. Best oil for LS 460 2007

Search this Thread

Old 08-22-19, 06:29 PM
Tec80
Advanced

Received 128 Likes on 99 Posts

Amazon Basics oil:
Old 08-23-19, 02:17 AM
GunnyFitz
Instructor

Received 213 Likes on 162 Posts
Default 2005 a only 170k

Originally Posted by sdls
Nice tractor engine there Gunny
Realizing this is not a Dodge Truck Forum I take that as a compliment, thank you sir!

Long story on how I got that 2005 Ram 2500 w Cummins, but it was the very week returned from Iraq with all of the Tax Free cheese I made there! To this day, the only thing I've had to do is replace a Wiring Harness to the Injectors. In California they deck trucks out right there in the Dealership so I had them add the Front Leveling Kit to fit those huge 35x12.5 Toyo Tires, an Edge CTS2 "Juice with Attitude" On the Fly Tuner to bump up Hp & Tq to insane levels. Need to find the video of me smoking all 4 tires at once on a set of bald Toyos I was about to replace. Truck is 15 years old and to this day I love to drive it. It's actually more comfortable on long trips than my wifes RX350!
And yes, I've been running Amsoil Diesel Synthetic since birth and at my 100k mile deep inspection I was told it looks like it had 100 miles inside. I'm not a "Fan Boy" whatever the hell that is, not a skeptic to what others use, and most certainly dont ever stand on a soap box saying Amsoil is "The Best" oil known to man. It's just something Ive obtained great results from and as a Preferred Member ($25 a year) I get it for wholesale, I'd say $4.70 a quart so it's not too bad. Then again, this Cummins drinks 3.5 Gallons of it to keep it going!

The one hesitation I have, which was mentioned above, is whether or not Lexus really gives a shot of me using it while under warranty. In which case I'll gladly use Mobil 1 then. See, I'm not the **** everyone makes me out to be! LOL.....
SEMPER FIDELIS...🇺🇸

The following users liked this post:
sdls (08-23-19)
Old 08-23-19, 07:24 AM
sdls
Lexus Champion

Received 294 Likes on 242 Posts

Originally Posted by Tec80
Total AW additive count doesn't have any regard for the individual additives. The graph in your screenshot seems to give all additives the same value, whether its calcium or zinc..
Old 08-23-19, 08:56 AM
UDel
Lexus Fanatic

Received 296 Likes on 223 Posts

I saw 0W 16 at Wal Mart yesterday, never saw that before, guess it is for hybrids to try to squeeze a little more fuel economy, not sure whey they don't just go to a round number though like 0W 15 or 0W 10. Mobil 1 Synthetic is for sale at Wal Mart for around $22 for a jug plus the Mobil 1 Discount.
Old 08-23-19, 10:13 AM
GunnyFitz
Instructor

Received 213 Likes on 162 Posts

Originally Posted by Lexus2000
WAll I said was Amsoil motor oil is excellent in fact one of the best, and posted a test to back it up. If you watch the entire series you'll see how Amsoil made it to the final test. There are other excellent oils out there but there had to be a winner. Is that something you can understand?
Think before you make stupid accusations like I'm an Amsoil "fanboy".
Super reply. Were you the same Member who posted a bunch of statistics and graphs about how well Amsoil stacked up against the other synthetics?

And would someone please explain to me this thing called "Fan Boy" but I can only assume its negative and derogatory in nature? I dont think I'm one of them since 1) I'm a full grown adult in my 50s ...and
2) I dont preach Amsoil ONLY since that would be hypocritical of me..what I dont understand is that my silly Owners Manual states regular conventional oil instead? I'm thinking the Signature Series anyway aftern10k ..
Old 08-23-19, 05:41 PM
SaiyanGS3
Racer

Received 92 Likes on 74 Posts

Originally Posted by sha4000
or you can just walk into a Walmart and purchase the SuperTech oil which is supposedly made by the same company.
True, the jug is a dead giveaway. Oil is made my Warren.
Old 08-23-19, 05:43 PM
SaiyanGS3
Racer

Received 92 Likes on 74 Posts

Originally Posted by sha4000
With 3-5k OCIs SuperTech is just as good as the other brands IMO. 40k on the 460 and 60k on the 350 so I'm not worried.
ST synthetic can easily do 8-10k OCIs, especially if its highway mileage. Multiple UOAs prove this fact:

Last edited by SaiyanGS3; 08-24-19 at 07:39 AM.
Old 08-23-19, 05:57 PM
colfax
Intermediate

Received 66 Likes on 50 Posts

what I dont understand is that my silly Owners Manual states regular conventional oil instead?
---------------------------------

wow, it DOES say that! And all this time I thought we ONLY put 0-20 full synthetic in it !!!!!

well if the engineers at Lexus who built my car say conventional is fine to use then why the hell am I paying much more for synth?

All I know is that when I look at the oil after 5000 miles it sure looks clean, seems a waste of money to change it every 5k ?

Last edited by colfax; 08-23-19 at 06:07 PM.
Old 08-24-19, 10:52 AM
SW17LS
Lexus Fanatic

Received 2,740 Likes on 1,961 Posts

Originally Posted by colfax
what I dont understand is that my silly Owners Manual states regular conventional oil instead?
---------------------------------

wow, it DOES say that! And all this time I thought we ONLY put 0-20 full synthetic in it !!!!!

well if the engineers at Lexus who built my car say conventional is fine to use then why the hell am I paying much more for synth?

All I know is that when I look at the oil after 5000 miles it sure looks clean, seems a waste of money to change it every 5k ?
Conventional is fine to use if you do 5k drains. If you want to do 10k drains you need to use synthetic.

Toyota/Lexus switched to 0W20 for their factory fill and recommendation when they stretched the maintenance schedule to 10k drains. 2012ish. They don't say "you must use synthetic" but they recommend 0W20 which is only a synthetic.
NotFasty (08-24-19)
Old 08-25-19, 04:15 PM
abs
Pole Position

Received 21 Likes on 19 Posts

Originally Posted by sdls
Total AW additive count doesn't have any regard for the individual additives. The graph in your screenshot seems to give all additives the same value, whether its calcium or zinc..
This is exactly right. Really high end oils are using exotic additives developed by companies like Lubrizol and Exxon/Mobil which will not show up in the traditional TBN calculation. That chart should not be used in any meaningful way at this point in time since it does not accurately depict the active additives in the oil. Twenty years ago, and maybe even 10 years ago, it would have been appropriate, but not any longer.

I have a lot of confidence in the Mobil oil products. If they are guaranteeing annual protection up to 20/25k miles, then you know that oil is really, really good stuff. There is simply too much to put at risk for the Mobil 1 brand and from lawsuits, etc., for Mobil to market a product that way when it can't hold up over that duration.
sdls (08-25-19)
Old 08-07-21, 02:37 AM
DrQuality
Pit Crew

Received 68 Likes on 40 Posts

Originally Posted by abs
20 weight oil has a max HTHS of 2.7. If that oil is diluted by fuel from the DI system or breaks down a bit and loses viscosity, the HTHS can drop to 2.5 or less at which point wear can accelerate … given reports of oil consumption by 150k miles … I'm willing to accept a slight loss of fuel economy now to gain engine longevity. 5W-30 will typically have an HTHS of 3.0 which offers a margin of safety for viscosity break down compared to the 0/5W-20.
Originally Posted by abs
I'm going to switch to 5w-30 Mobil 1 Extended Protection since there are many reports of oil consumption by 150k miles or so and an oil with a higher HTHS will offer a bit more protection. 5W-30 is also listed as an acceptable grade for this engine in other global markets, just not in the US.
Originally Posted by abs
Please just use the Google and search for "HTHS engine wear" … The second graph on this web page is very good: https://expert.q8oils.com/automotive/low-hths-oils
I concur with the perspective of abs …

Further, earlier comments from Nospinzone, Kennyr44 & Doublebase led me to suspect that this official 20 upper viscosity constraint was yet another Lexus Murica!-only rule … being tied to the US CAFE laws about auto manufacturers hitting fleet-wide MPG targets.

So I just spent an hour looking at Lexus LS460 Owner's Manuals from around the world. Only in the USA & Canada are the choices officially limited to 0w20 & 5w20. In Britain, Ireland & Australia, the owner is directed to choose the viscosity (appropriate to the operating environment) from among 0w20, 5w20, 5w30, 10w30, 15w40 & even 20w50. Even in ever-frigid Finland, Sweden & Norway, owners have access to all these viscosity options … and they were in fact all available in every Manual for the European Market that I opened.

As example, I've attached a copy of the relevant pages from the Irish-version of the 2011 Lexus LS460 Owner's Manual.

Very frustrating. Because of USA CAFE regulations that eternally increase MPG expectations, auto manufacturers are being forced to employ less viscous oil in order to gain greater fuel efficiency … at the expense of less actual engine protection. See https://bit.ly/3CtfrrM . The second graph at that website shows that a 30 upper viscosity oil (with a HTHS somewhat above 3.0) is maximizing engine protection … and at almost twice the rate of protection provided by an 20 upper viscosity oil (with an HTHS of about 2.5-2.7). And check out a few SAE Viscosity Temperature Charts; more than a few suggest that the protection of 20 upper viscosity oil begins to diminish after/around 75°F ambient, while the protection of 30 upper viscosity oil begins to diminish only after/around 95°F ambient. And Internet-searching on "5w20 5w30" brings up on-point many discussions, YouTube videos, etc. on this topic.

Perhaps if we had all been using 5w30 all along, those lower tension rings (also an artifact of CAFE standards) wouldn't be wearing out causing increasing oil consumption after 150k and such.

Last edited by DrQuality; 08-10-21 at 06:40 AM.
The following 2 users liked this post by DrQuality:
ALK (02-05-22), NotFasty (08-08-21)

Quick Reply: Help me. Best oil for LS 460 2007