LS - 4th Gen (2007-2017) Discussion topics related to the current flagship models LS460, LS460L and LS600H

Is this possible? All aftermarket wheel owners please chime in.....

Search this Thread

Old 05-07-13, 06:04 AM
silver305
Pole Position

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts
Default Is this possible? All aftermarket wheel owners please chime in.....

So i took my car to get the wheels/tires balanced. I felt like the place where i bought the wheels was not doing the job right. That being said, I watched another place do the ROAD FORCE balancing. The wheels/tires were maybe .50 oz off AT MOST. The guys got them balanced perfectly BUT i noticed when the machine spun them, the tires didn't exactly spun evenly and perfect.. There was minor "hump" or lack of uniformity, but like it was it was BARELY visible.
He said that it was normal and that he has done thousand of wheels/tires and that it is not uncommon to see minor humps when the tire is spinning on the machine.
Anyhow, they installed the wheels and i went for a drive... I feel like the issue is still there
Vibration occurring at 70-75mph...
On a side note, one of the guys that saw my tires not spin perfectly told me that he thinks it is the cheap tires they installed that is creating the lack of a smooth ride at 75mph and that he disagrees with the other 2 mechanics..
My question is, IS IT POSSIBLE for the cheap tires to be the cause of my slight vibration even though they all showed to be balanced perfectly according to the road force machine????????
Old 05-07-13, 12:03 PM
joeyb
Pole Position

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

How many miles do you have on them, and what kind of tire?
Old 05-07-13, 01:05 PM
CJITTY
Lead Lap

Received 151 Likes on 113 Posts

It is VERY POSSIBLE to have out of round tires..brand new. Some tire shops sell cheap tires because they have slight or moderate blemishes in them. A blem can range from a slight scrape on the sidewall to having a not 100% round tire but still "technically road worthy"...as mentioned in the other thread you have going on this, tires are not always perfect. You should take those tires back, demand new ones especially after this other place seems sure you have bad tires. It happens. Did they spin the wheels without the tires by chance? That way you can know for sure you don't have a wheel issue. If you have the right hubrings, lugnuts, no issues with your wheel hub assembly, true wheels, tires properly balanced without dead spots, then you should have an error free ride. I have found that as I go up in wheel size, so does the aggravation with getting smooth vibration free tires to drive on. In fact, most aftermarket wheels I have had, always an issue until I find the right place to get them done. For me, Butler Tire here in Atlanta always gets it right, especially with their finishing balancer that spins the wheels/tires at 130mph while on the car using strobe lights to really nail down that balance. Amazing stuff.

What make/model of tires do you have and how much did you pay for your front and rears tires?
Old 05-07-13, 02:31 PM
AznRacer
Instructor

Received 12 Likes on 10 Posts

If your're in South Florida i recommend you try Auto Glitz in Hollywood to have them inspect your wheel/tire sets up. When I used to live down south I've always use them for all my wheel/tire services. I never experience any problem and always leave happy.
Old 05-07-13, 04:08 PM
ssrfenton
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Road Force Balance is the right tool but did you notice one tire or all of them had the out of round issue? Sometimes the manufacturer will replace one if it is too severe.

FYI, this is the exact reason Michelin is so well known and respected as a premium tire as they have a technology to maintain roundness. Continental and Bridgestone are also very good.

I think you should check all your rims especially on the inside lip. That is a good place for a vibration spot if you've hit a pothole. This happened to one of my rims and is a major PITA. Hope this helps.
Old 05-08-13, 05:40 AM
silver305
Pole Position

Originally Posted by joeyb
How many miles do you have on them, and what kind of tire?
They have maybe 1500 miles, but the vibration around 70 was there from the day i left the wheel shop.
Old 05-08-13, 05:44 AM
silver305
Pole Position

Originally Posted by CJITTY
It is VERY POSSIBLE to have out of round tires..brand new. Some tire shops sell cheap tires because they have slight or moderate blemishes in them. A blem can range from a slight scrape on the sidewall to having a not 100% round tire but still "technically road worthy"...as mentioned in the other thread you have going on this, tires are not always perfect. You should take those tires back, demand new ones especially after this other place seems sure you have bad tires. It happens. Did they spin the wheels without the tires by chance? That way you can know for sure you don't have a wheel issue. If you have the right hubrings, lugnuts, no issues with your wheel hub assembly, true wheels, tires properly balanced without dead spots, then you should have an error free ride. I have found that as I go up in wheel size, so does the aggravation with getting smooth vibration free tires to drive on. In fact, most aftermarket wheels I have had, always an issue until I find the right place to get them done. For me, Butler Tire here in Atlanta always gets it right, especially with their finishing balancer that spins the wheels/tires at 130mph while on the car using strobe lights to really nail down that balance. Amazing stuff.

What make/model of tires do you have and how much did you pay for your front and rears tires?
1. no they did not take the tires off the rim to check if it was the rims.
2.the lugnuts are the ones you have recommended on previous threads (gorilla lug nut kit and the spininning lug nut)
3.the tire brand is "carbon series" ?? and i dont know how much they are because i bought them with the wheels as a package ($3000.00 total)
4. I AM BEGINNING TO THINK IT COULD BE MY CONTROL ARMS???????
5. as stated earlier, the machine got them all balanced perfectly.
Old 05-08-13, 05:46 AM
silver305
Pole Position

Originally Posted by ssrfenton
Road Force Balance is the right tool but did you notice one tire or all of them had the out of round issue? Sometimes the manufacturer will replace one if it is too severe.

FYI, this is the exact reason Michelin is so well known and respected as a premium tire as they have a technology to maintain roundness. Continental and Bridgestone are also very good.

I think you should check all your rims especially on the inside lip. That is a good place for a vibration spot if you've hit a pothole. This happened to one of my rims and is a major PITA. Hope this helps.
i noticed the out of round issue on all of them, but like i said, the issue is VERY MINOR and that is why the mechanic said that he has never seen a tire that spins PERFECT on the machine. Some are worse than others, but according to him they ALL have a little uneveness here and there.
Old 05-08-13, 12:39 PM
CJITTY
Lead Lap

Received 151 Likes on 113 Posts

a good road force balance should immediately show issues with the tire...and never heard of those tires before..could be an issue with those, but who knows. If you were in Atlanta, you would be driving smooth by now if you had Butler Tire in your life
Old 05-08-13, 01:07 PM
I8ABMR
Lexus Fanatic

Received 102 Likes on 67 Posts

story of my life bro. I have been dealing with issue for 3 years now. conti were **** and had a wobble and the same with the Pirellis. I am going to drop 2k on tires and go with Michelins because I am so sick of that vibration between 70-75. The only tire I have even had give no vibration and baklance the first shot was Michelin. I am going to stop messing with cheap *** tires and see if Michelins will make the difference. That "hump " issue is pretty bad with my Pirellis and its not subtle. The tread looks like its going side to side when on the balancer, MICHELIN !! People will say its a waste until they go through this. An extra 400 bucks is worrth my sanity and being able to enjoy the car
Old 05-08-13, 02:38 PM
I8ABMR
Lexus Fanatic

Received 102 Likes on 67 Posts

I have had tire people tell me that Michelin tests for roundness more than any other company. Bottom line is there is a reason that Michelins are ALWAYS more expensive. Its because they are better. For people like us who drive 70-75k cars we should know better but we persist with these cheap summer tires because they wear so fast.

Considering that I have had two sets of tires from two reputable tire companies is getting pretty frustrating. I keep think what are the odds, but when I see the tires spun in front of me its insane that the vibration isn't worse considering the back and forth oscillation in the tread that should not be there. My tire guy tried to tell me that it was normal but I told him I don't buy that BS. The tire companies can make a tire that doesn't have tread clearly moving left and right while spinning on the balancer. The mechanic at the dealership was amazed that they told me it was normal.

The fact that the OP is having this issue is making 100% sure Im going with Michelins. I was going to go with Nitto INVO but hell no. Im going to play it safe. If there is vibration with the Michelins I will be taking my wheels off or if they stay I will never put after market wheels on my cars again. Im getting too old for this ****. I have kids and a real job. I need zero issues with my cars from this point on

Last edited by I8ABMR; 05-08-13 at 02:43 PM.
Old 05-09-13, 06:46 PM
ssrfenton
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by I8ABMR
I have had tire people tell me that Michelin tests for roundness more than any other company. Bottom line is there is a reason that Michelins are ALWAYS more expensive. Its because they are better. For people like us who drive 70-75k cars we should know better but we persist with these cheap summer tires because they wear so fast.

Considering that I have had two sets of tires from two reputable tire companies is getting pretty frustrating. I keep think what are the odds, but when I see the tires spun in front of me its insane that the vibration isn't worse considering the back and forth oscillation in the tread that should not be there. My tire guy tried to tell me that it was normal but I told him I don't buy that BS. The tire companies can make a tire that doesn't have tread clearly moving left and right while spinning on the balancer. The mechanic at the dealership was amazed that they told me it was normal.

The fact that the OP is having this issue is making 100% sure Im going with Michelins. I was going to go with Nitto INVO but hell no. Im going to play it safe. If there is vibration with the Michelins I will be taking my wheels off or if they stay I will never put after market wheels on my cars again. Im getting too old for this ****. I have kids and a real job. I need zero issues with my cars from this point on
If you go Michelin then make sure they are "customer satisfaction guaranteed". ie If they don't solve the problem then the premium is not worth it. Many tire installers will do this, Belle Tire, Tire Rack and Discount Tire if you go that route..

Seems like there is a frequency resonance issue that could be caused by tire, rim or shock or possibly drive shaft. A good tech can help you isolate the root cause.

One other thought. If you drive the freeway at vibration speed and have a friend follow you they can observe the wheels. You will often see on a car one tire or wheel is bouncing, vibrating but the driver cannot isolate this from the driver seat. Keep us updated.
Old 05-09-13, 09:36 PM
lbintab
Lexus Test Driver

Received 18 Likes on 18 Posts

Is your cars alignment on point. What you might be feeling is toe wear on the tires. Not uncommon for tires to wear in a wavy patteren if the toe is out
Old 05-10-13, 06:47 AM
silver305
Pole Position

If you go Michelin then make sure they are "customer satisfaction guaranteed". ie If they don't solve the problem then the premium is not worth it. Many tire installers will do this, Belle Tire, Tire Rack and Discount Tire if you go that route..

Seems like there is a frequency resonance issue that could be caused by tire, rim or shock or possibly drive shaft. A good tech can help you isolate the root cause.

One other thought. If you drive the freeway at vibration speed and have a friend follow you they can observe the wheels. You will often see on a car one tire or wheel is bouncing, vibrating but the driver cannot isolate this from the driver seat. Keep us updated.
i will try next time. I have thought about taking it to the dealer so they can see what it is, but the charge you to diagnse a problem i believe.not sure..
Old 05-10-13, 06:48 AM
silver305
Pole Position

Originally Posted by lbintab
Is your cars alignment on point. What you might be feeling is toe wear on the tires. Not uncommon for tires to wear in a wavy patteren if the toe is out
The tires are brand new..There is no uneven wear on them right now so the vibration some days is worse than others.... I dont know what makes it better or worse..

Quick Reply: Is this possible? All aftermarket wheel owners please chime in.....